Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

By a fluke, I happened to be out of town. How about you all?

What kind of building do you live in? Do you have power? (I was thinking about people on high floors in elevator buildings.) If you're in an apartment building, did your staff come through for you? Were you adequately prepared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 05:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
High rise, Upper East Side...we never lost power, heat, water, cable. Two days after the storm, for some reason we lost our dial tone for several hours.
We hardly felt much wind but we came down to the Street for a while to get a feel for the storm...

East River came to Second Avenue for a bit (or so we heard the next day) but we are up the hill so we neverr saw any water.

One tree down on the street atop an unfortunate Honda...but that was the extent of it.

I must admit a slight feeling of guilt at escaping completely unscathed, but heck we carry enough guilt around from out mangled childhoods so I hereby dismiss the guilt.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 AM

241 posts, read 373,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I must admit a slight feeling of guilt at escaping completely unscathed, but heck we carry enough guilt around from out mangled childhoods so I hereby dismiss the guilt.
I feel the guilt too. I am extremely grateful, but it's so odd....you would never know that a hurricane hit in my neighborhood. It is unchanged from a week ago.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Sprigged:. View Post
I feel the guilt too. I am extremely grateful, but it's so odd....you would never know that a hurricane hit in my neighborhood. It is unchanged from a week ago.
I feel the same way.There were a couple of trees down in the park across the street but that's it.Trees come down there at least a few times a year anyway.My building is like a fortress and I couldn't even hear the wind blowing in most of it with the exception of the living room.Lights never even flickered.My bedroom is in the back and if the storm had come in the middle of the night I probably would have slept right through it.Weird.

It's called "survivor's guilt".

Old 11-03-2012, 05:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I never feel guilty - just grateful. Manhattan often tends to escape the worst of most storms.

I was just talking to a friend who lives near Third Avenue in the teens, an older woman who has trouble walking and lives several floors up. Oddly, what bothered her was not being unable to use her refrigerator, shower, or toilet - but what was pushing her over the edge was the early darkness and the eerie silence.

And she's right - blackouts tend to be in the summer, with more daylight.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
totally lucky. i live in a 6 floor apartment in central Riverdale, got a parking spot under a highway overpass so my car was protected. no power outage(except for no TV or computer for almost 48 hrs), no floods. no problems

Old 11-03-2012, 05:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
We are doing good in Bayonne, NJ. There was some flooding by the coast lines of the town and the entire town has been without power for the week, but we got it back on last night. FEMA has been here handing out food to people in need of it which has been good.

Other than that, it has been uneventful and we stayed safe and happy to have power back. Definitely been shocked with how much damage happened now that I got to see the news on tv.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Was out of town also. Extended my trip as there is no power at home (NJ), office on 14th was supposed to get power today.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Got home Thursday, was in the Hotel I work in for 4 days. Glad to be back. Have to gather stuff to donate to help.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Live near Union Square. I left Tuesday morning and crashed at on friend's couch for the week. Got back home Saturday afternoon. It was annoying and exhausting, but other people had it much worse. I was very lucky to have a place to go. Many stayed by either necessity or choice.

I admit I'm a wuss. As soon as I lost internet and cell service I had to get out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City