Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,798 times

Advertisements

I am a single 19yr old aspiring singer & fashion designer and I want to move to NY to reach all my dreams. I would like a safe affordable place close to manhattan I am living on limited funds so I will have to get a roommate. I just want to know what areas to search on craigslist and other sites they show pictures but don't list if it's safe and everything. I also am ethnic of brazilian and african descent so living around people of color is no problem just not the projects. Just want safe places so my family doesn't have to worry. What places should a 19yr old single girl live and be safe? I am new here so if there are threads that cover this please post here. Thank You

Last edited by BeautifullyHuman; 10-10-2007 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
There's endless posts here on this subject. First and foremost: how much can you afford in rent? Will you have a steady job here? The "safest" areas are generally much more expensive and/or further from Manhattan. Some here differ greatly on what constitutes safe as well. Many areas are in transition and becoming even more expensive. But even the "cheaper" ones can easily break your budget, or are in hazardous parts of town.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,798 times
well with a roommate I guess I can afford maybe $400-800 I will have an unpaid internship for a while but my family will help me pay. I just want to know what to search I look on craigslist and rent.com and they never say if areas are safe I can go visit soon but my time will be limited and I don't want to waste my time visiting places I wouldn't live in. I live in Texas now when I visit it will be only my 2nd time in NY.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Well, the Bronx is still pretty affordable, but some here will tell you only the pricier areas are safe. I feel pretty safe where I am (Fordham/University Heights area) but there is still crime, but hey, where isn't there these days?. You might be able to find a studio here for around 800 if you're lucky, but even here rents are rising so it might be a tall order. For $1600 you might be able to swing a two bed to split...

There are also furnished and unfurnished rooms for rent that are about 150 a week on average. Some may be in dives, some in two family residences, some you share kitchen and bath.

Try a search on the New York Daily News online. Others here may have some other suggestions.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 PM

PS...I've seen the rent.com site and offhand it looks like they have some pretty reasonable deals, many in decent areas. But you will of course have to pay a broker's fee and they can be hefty as well, plus (in all probability) one months' security deposit, and first (and possibly last) month's rent.

If you see places that look promising, people on the forum can give you a better idea of the neighborhoods. I just glanced at rent.com and they had apts in Kew Gardens (Queens) which as far as I know should be safe.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,039 times
I highly suggest looking on craigslist under roommates or shares. I have found all of my shares that way. You just type in your maximum and meet the prospective roommates. Good luck to you in your search.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
When do you plan on moving?

You ever hear of the ironbound in newark? It is a brazilian enclave now. It has been for some years.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:12 AM

Try this link for Queens...click on Apts for rent. I think all or most of these are in safe areas, and some rents look fairly reasonable. Some will be through broker, others by owner.

Times Ledger - News - Western Queens (http://www.timesledger.com/site/news.asp?brd=2676&pag=460&dept_id=551069 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City