Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 PM

23 posts, read 142,880 times

Advertisements

I'll be coming from Chicago to NYC as a stopover on my trip to Europe. I've never been to New York before and I'm excited to finally getting to see the big city, even if only for a few hours. I'll be arriving around 9 am at La Guardia Airport and will be leaving from Newark Airport around 6 pm. I have to be at the Newark airport 3 hours before departure since its international, and I'd like to be there at 2:30 just to be sure. I have free time to do some sightseeing from 9 am to 2:30 pm including the time it takes to get from La Guardia to the city, and then to Newark. Google maps travel estimations show me that it's going to take a 40 minute bus ride from La Guardia to North Manhattan, and about 70 minutes from South Manhattan to Newark. That said, I have about 3-4 hours to see the city. Here's my plan. Since La Guardia is to the north, and Newark Airport is to the south, I'm thinking of taking the bus from the La Guardia to some point in north Manhattan, maybe around 110 St, and walk to the southernmost point of Manhattan. From there I will take my bus to Newark. I know it's about 7 miles, but it's no biggie, I want to get a real feel of Manhattan. I'm in good shape and very comfortable with walking so much, and frankly, I just want to get real tired so that I'll just fall asleep quick on the plane since I don't like flying.

My main questions:
1. Where exactly do you suggest getting off the bus from La Guardia in North Manhattan?
2. Which roads would you suggest walking towards South Manhattan? Which roads offer most Manhattan-like vibrant sightseeing?
3. Good fast food joint on one of those roads? Preferably something different, ethnic like Asian or kebab, no pizza, burgers, nor hot dogs.
4. What to do with my big luggage bag? It has no wheels and it would be a big problem to carry it all the time. It's really impossible, I have to leave it somewhere but I have no idea where and at what point in my trip. I'm thinking of buying some small set of wheels and attaching them somehow to the bag, but I don't even know where to get those wheels.

Please share any suggestions regarding my plan. Any other ideas or help will be highly appreciated. I will be happy to share my thoughts on visiting NYC in just a few hours after my trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:42 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
As someone who hubs through NYC airports to Europe - I think your plan is kind of silly. If only because of the luggage situation. Also - I don't think you know much about Manhattan if you're planning to start walking down from 110th Street carrying a big suitcase on wheels. The only reasonable plan to me would be taking a cab from LGA to somewhere in a decent area of Manhattan - and exploring it for perhaps a few hours (cabs from LGA to most of Manhattan aren't that expensive). Cabs from Manhattan to EWR are more expensive - like about $45. I am not familiar with public transportation from Manhattan to EWR - perhaps someone else can help you out with that.

What kinds of things would you like to see? Some famous sights? A famous museum? Pick one or two things and you're more likely to get the most out of your few hours than trying to do a lot in a short period of time. I reckon if you hum a few bars about your interests - everyone here will give you recommendations about a few places to visit. Robyn

Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
The museum idea is a good one because you can check your bag. There are very few luggage lockers anywhere in New York. It's a security issue.

You definitely don't want to go to 110th Street. I suggest getting a shuttle bus to Grand Central. They're only $10 or $15 dollars. You can also get a bus from Grand Central to Newark.

Don't get carried away and try and see everything. Walking down 42nd Street to Times Square and back is more than enough to kill a few hours.

By the way, I suggest you go to Walmart or Target and get a suitcase with wheels. If you're doing a lot of traveling, it'll be worth it.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
I did that long ago when I was delivering a proposal that I helped write (it was 3 feet high) to the federal government (pre-Internet!) I did not have luggage. I had a few hours to spend before my plane left. I walked all over Manhattan, starting at Times Square, looking like I knew where I was going when I didn't have a clue. People kept asking ME for directions.

The most memorable walk for me was Fifth Avenue. It seemed every "storefront" was something famous. I had lunch by myself at Trump Tower. (There are better places, I'm sure.) I then took a taxi to the airport. It was a one-day trip.

With Google maps, you should easily be able to figure out what you want to see. Museums are time consuming. If it's your first time, I'd just walk around and stare at everything. And yes, get luggage with wheels, for sure.

Once you figure out where you want to go, you should run it by people here to see if it's really do-able. Have fun!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Maybe try this place? Schwartz Travel & Storage - Hell's Kitchen - New York, NY

Quote:
You get what you pay for: the bare minimum in storage on the second floor of a super shady building with strange-smelling elevator....but it's still so, so, so much better than rolling an unwieldy suitcase around the city. Stored my carry-on for 7 hours for $8.50. Definitely worth it!

Very close to Penn Station and the main W. 34th strip of shops
btw, the person who wrote the review above gave it 5 stars! Amazing --- "super shady" and "strange smelling" and "you get what you pay for" would merit 5 stars. Guess it's the only game in town.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Taking the bus to Newark airport makes no sense. Take NJ Transit out of Penn Station. The Northeast corridor line stops at Newark airport, then you take the airlink to the terminal. It's under half an hour.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The museum idea is a good one because you can check your bag. There are very few luggage lockers anywhere in New York. It's a security issue.

You definitely don't want to go to 110th Street. I suggest getting a shuttle bus to Grand Central. They're only $10 or $15 dollars. You can also get a bus from Grand Central to Newark.

Don't get carried away and try and see everything. Walking down 42nd Street to Times Square and back is more than enough to kill a few hours.

By the way, I suggest you go to Walmart or Target and get a suitcase with wheels. If you're doing a lot of traveling, it'll be worth it.
I agree because the OP has a large piece of luggage, the most practical idea is to visit a museum so he can check his baggage.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree because the OP has a large piece of luggage, the most practical idea is to visit a museum so he can check his baggage.
or go to a museum, check your bag, then go walk around manhattan for a while and then get your bag out when you're done.

I would say go take a walk down 5th ave, see the rockefeller center, and then go to times square. that's more than enough to do in the time you have.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
or go to a museum, check your bag, then go walk around manhattan for a while and then get your bag out when you're done.

I would say go take a walk down 5th ave, see the rockefeller center, and then go to times square. that's more than enough to do in the time you have.
Isn't the bag check past the point where you buy a ticket to enter but before you actually get into the museum? I want to think that's the case at the Met, MOMA, and MNH.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,725,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Isn't the bag check past the point where you buy a ticket to enter but before you actually get into the museum? I want to think that's the case at the Met, MOMA, and MNH.
some museums are pay as you wish, so if OP wishes to pay 1 dollar, then OP gets storage for a dollar (plus tip).

Orrrrrr OP could go to just about any hotel. Go up a few floors, and see how their numbering structure works. As in on the 9th floor is it 905, 95, 9005, etc for rooms and then go to the luggage check place and be like hey i can't get into my room XXXX until after noon, I want to leave my luggage with you. Usually it's free, but then you tip a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: