Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,886 times

Advertisements

I'm 23, male and moving to NYC from San Francisco in February. From what I've seen, I think Brooklyn would match my personality best (slightly hipster/geeky, a bit granola-y, trendy hip restaurants and bars, etc. Also cheaper rent than manhattan). If you were a 23 year old guy looking to meet lots of people your age and live in a safe neighborhood with good access to manhattan, where would you live and why?

So far, Park Slope and Williamsburg are at the top of my list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 AM

145 posts, read 334,576 times
lots of younger people like williamsburg and greenpoint areas. however, i never really cared for it. it is too "hipster" and has become quite chaotic on weekends. carroll gardens is nice, safe and has plenty to do. it is a bit of an older crowd, but not "old". also lots of families. park slope is a little crunchy imo and mostly families, but there are definitely younger people too.
also, i'd recommend brooklyn heights to anyone that could afford it

Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Personally I would choose Park Slope.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yguff88 View Post
Also cheaper rent than manhattan!
Is it still true that the trendy parts of Brooklyn are "cheaper" than Manhattan? I did a search recently for neighborhoods like Park Slope, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, and DUMBO, and I didn't quite notice a sharp offset in the price point relative to the further distance from the "heart" of NYC.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
Brooklyn has about the same population as the entire city of Chicago. It does not "match" anyone's "personality."

Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Brooklyn has about the same population as the entire city of Chicago. It does not "match" anyone's "personality."
Yeah, Brooklyn is a huge borough, it's not all "hip" regardless of what the stupid media would have out of towners believe. There are actually *gasp* blue collar and immigrant neighborhoods that would not be considered at all "hip" or "trendy" or "hipster".

I'm sorry, I'm just sick of the fact that Brooklyn has become a label to show off to your friends back home. Same thing with all of the people who move here and start "Brooklyn based" businesses like Brooklyn Salsa, Brooklyn Ice Cream, etc. Or who feel the need to put on their Linked In profile they are "Brooklyn Based".

But I digress. Unfortunately the hip areas of Brooklyn are not cheaper than Manhattan these days. They are actually more in some events because of the popularity shift of being Brooklyn > Manhattan now. Most of northern Brooklyn would serve your purposes, but just be prepared for sticker shock, having to live with 3 roommates and likely getting a few part time jobs. That seems to be the norm for the hipster set.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
I grew up in Wburg. I can barely recognize it now. Way too many latte shops, crystal healers, pet therapists, and pretentious over tattooed/pierced, spikey hair, singley riding, desperate to be au courrant fashion queens. Pot smoking is about the only positive. For those not obsessed with image and want the most bang for the buck I would look in the Bronx and beaten down areas of Brooklyn (Crown Heights, Bed Sty, Brownsville, Canarsie) and Queens (south of Atlantic Ave).

Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM

55 posts, read 127,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yguff88 View Post
I'm 23, male and moving to NYC from San Francisco in February. From what I've seen, I think Brooklyn would match my personality best (slightly hipster/geeky, a bit granola-y, trendy hip restaurants and bars, etc. Also cheaper rent than manhattan). If you were a 23 year old guy looking to meet lots of people your age and live in a safe neighborhood with good access to manhattan, where would you live and why?

So far, Park Slope and Williamsburg are at the top of my list!
Those two neighborhoods are more expensive than Manhattan, because of the hipster image. But no problem, if you only care about appearances, I'm sure you'll find the neighbors you deserve.

If people like you had any ethics at all, when you see a functional working class neighborhood, you'd walk the opposite direction. This goes for any city, in any part of the country. You people destroy everything you touch. But then I'm a touchy "old" trying to make plans to avoid winding up on the streets when my rent stab. expires, because everything's now unaffordable (in NY and everywhere else), because of people like you.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:51 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times
Brooklyn Heights is nice. I used to live right across the street from Pratt Institute and that part of Brooklyn was great, beautiful brownstones, don't know what it looks like now. Park Slope is great also, lots of good restaurants.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
Please remember this is a specific relocation thread. It is not a general thread, so discussions of hipsters, pro/con, are off-topic. Please post in one of the numerous hipster-oriented threads if you feel the need, but not in this one. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City