Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,838 times

Advertisements

I just finished watching the lightening of the Christmas Tree, here in NYC, and it was a just a magical moment. Mariah Carey, Rod Stewart, and many others performed. If you were not able to watch it, maybe you can see it On Demand.

Merry Christmas.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Heard it was quite nice. Did a few times years ago, Before starting work in the city. Christmas in New York does have a magic about it.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I have to be a kinda Debbie Downer/tree hugger here..but I really don't like the fact that we are killing these really old, majestic trees year after year. It is beautiful, but I kinda get annoyed that we ripped out this tree so that NBC can get good ratings for the Christmas season.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I have to be a kinda Debbie Downer/tree hugger here..but I really don't like the fact that we are killing these really old, majestic trees year after year. It is beautiful, but I kinda get annoyed that we ripped out this tree so that NBC can get good ratings for the Christmas season.
Why do you always have things so mixed up???

The TRADITION began during the construction of Rockefeller Center by the construction workers. It was continued and paid for by the Rockerfeller family, until the complex was sold.

The Tree's purpose is NOT for television ratings!! The show and production is a relatively recent event, and serves more to attract people and to promote Rockefeller Center.

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That said, I sorta have a similar feeling, but the trees always come from someone's yard, and not from the wild!!!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
I hate that friggin' tree.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I just finished watching the lightening of the Christmas Tree, here in NYC, and it was a just a magical moment. Mariah Carey, Rod Stewart, and many others performed. If you were not able to watch it, maybe you can see it On Demand.

Merry Christmas.......
She was pretty and had a stunning voice in the 90's but now her glory days are long gone. I think it was depression and weight gain that finally destroyed her career which lasted roughly for 10 years.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:36 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
The tree is beautiful but this time of year it gets so crowded with people coming to gawk at it!! I remember last year was more crowded than I ever remembered. I walked by one day because I wanted to see how Saks was decorated and I basically just gave up and went home. I wonder how this year will compare!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I understand we all should be concerned about what's happening to mother Tellus and all that but this time you're joking. That's probably the most cheesy comment you ever written! Lol!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I know it's cheesy and I am a tree hugger...I don't think anyone would know the difference if the tree were fake. I would much rather have all those old, majestic trees still alive than used as ratings for NBC for a whopping 30 days.

I get that it is tradition, but there are lots of things that are tradition which we stopped doing because we know they are wrong. Let's just use a fake tree and leave these great old trees alive!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I know it's cheesy and I am a tree hugger...I don't think anyone would know the difference if the tree were fake. I would much rather have all those old, majestic trees still alive than used as ratings for NBC for a whopping 30 days.

I get that it is tradition, but there are lots of things that are tradition which we stopped doing because we know they are wrong. Let's just use a fake tree and leave these great old trees alive!
Bull fights in Spain and probably South America. Now that is sick and should be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City