Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times

Advertisements

I work in Nassau county, and live in Brooklyn.
No problems at all for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 9,061 times
Can I ask where in Nassau? How long does it typically take you?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Work in Great Neck. Live in Dumbo.
AM car commute, leaving around 7am, takes about 25 minutes.
PM is a pain in the ass with traffic, usually 1-1.5hrs, but its worth it to me.
I do plan on moving to the suburbs one day, as I just had an infant, but right now living in brooklyn with my wife and baby is still a blast.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Great Neck! Ha! The NW edge of Nassau County.

Depending on the time the OP needs to get into work could radically shift things. Not sure how familiar he is with NYC/LI.

Driving from DUMBO Brooklyn to Melville could take anywhere between 45 minutes to 3 hours- each way.
"Reverse" Commute is a fallacy on Long Island. A Commute is a commute, the directions are bad both ways once you hit the LIE.

Best bet is living right on the Atlantic Terminal LIRR if you MUST live in Brooklyn, or right by 34th and 8th if you MUST live in Manhattan. Neither of these places will allow you to keep a car for any less than 150-200 a month to park it.
If you're serious on long term commuting you're likely better on the LIRR, with your car parked ready to go on Weekdays- then Drive home on Fridays and keep your car in the city where it isn't THAT bad on weekends to park.

1 Hour + 15 minutes from Atlantic or 59 minute from Penn to Farmingdale station. From there a 15 minute or so drive to Melville for your job site.

$254 a month for your LIRR ticket. Parking at Farmingdale is $75 a year for residents- so expect anywhere from $150 to $500 a year for Non-res. currently there is a waiting list.

So if 3 hours a day from Brooklyn, or 2.5 hours a day from Manhattan is something you're cool with doing on commuting, you can certainly manage it with $3000 a month to spend on rent.

Frankly though, I can't see a single reason why you'd want to do this when you can't live somewhere like Great Neck. Train into the city at 30 minutes, and drive to work in 20-45 minutes, save on City Income Taxes (at 120K a year that's quite a lot of money) and not have to buy a monthly LIRR ticket.

If you don't know LI at all, it's entirely your typical suburb, and at the same time it's quite the megapolis. You'd be best to explain to the forum what it is your desire about 'urban' living to see if anyone can understand why exactly you'd be willing to go such absurd distances for work.

From my standpoint living in Manhattan, a drive to Nassau can take 35 minutes to 1.5 hours. That's less than 15 miles. Shorter times if you're taking toll-bridges, but at $12 or so dollars a day, that adds up REAL quick.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
^ i tried to tell him. There might
be some exciting lil towns on the
island worth living in. I know there
are some honeys out there. He could
come to the city for fun whenever.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Great Neck! Ha! The NW edge of Nassau County.

Depending on the time the OP needs to get into work could radically shift things. Not sure how familiar he is with NYC/LI.

Driving from DUMBO Brooklyn to Melville could take anywhere between 45 minutes to 3 hours- each way.
"Reverse" Commute is a fallacy on Long Island. A Commute is a commute, the directions are bad both ways once you hit the LIE.

Best bet is living right on the Atlantic Terminal LIRR if you MUST live in Brooklyn, or right by 34th and 8th if you MUST live in Manhattan. Neither of these places will allow you to keep a car for any less than 150-200 a month to park it.
If you're serious on long term commuting you're likely better on the LIRR, with your car parked ready to go on Weekdays- then Drive home on Fridays and keep your car in the city where it isn't THAT bad on weekends to park.

1 Hour + 15 minutes from Atlantic or 59 minute from Penn to Farmingdale station. From there a 15 minute or so drive to Melville for your job site.

$254 a month for your LIRR ticket. Parking at Farmingdale is $75 a year for residents- so expect anywhere from $150 to $500 a year for Non-res. currently there is a waiting list.

So if 3 hours a day from Brooklyn, or 2.5 hours a day from Manhattan is something you're cool with doing on commuting, you can certainly manage it with $3000 a month to spend on rent.

Frankly though, I can't see a single reason why you'd want to do this when you can't live somewhere like Great Neck. Train into the city at 30 minutes, and drive to work in 20-45 minutes, save on City Income Taxes (at 120K a year that's quite a lot of money) and not have to buy a monthly LIRR ticket.

If you don't know LI at all, it's entirely your typical suburb, and at the same time it's quite the megapolis. You'd be best to explain to the forum what it is your desire about 'urban' living to see if anyone can understand why exactly you'd be willing to go such absurd distances for work.

From my standpoint living in Manhattan, a drive to Nassau can take 35 minutes to 1.5 hours. That's less than 15 miles. Shorter times if you're taking toll-bridges, but at $12 or so dollars a day, that adds up REAL quick.
I know why.

Because Long Island is SO UNCOOL!

Could a self-respecting hipster actually say the dreaded words, "I live on Long Island?"

I think not.

It's better to commute for 3-5 hours per day and live in Brooklyn if you want to work in Melville.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
The OP doesn't understand that what New Yorkers call a suburb, like Great Neck, most of the US calls that type of area the downtown part of a city.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 PM

There is nothing downtown or cosmopolitan about Great Neck. Its an affluent suburb, meant for raising kids in a competitive school district with convenient commute to city. I know, because I spent my Jr. high- high school years there, and now I currently work there. If the OP is a young single person, I don't blame him for wanting to live in the city, even if its economically irrational.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
^ anotherwords, don't waste your
time and money if you don't have to.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I know why.

Because Long Island is SO UNCOOL!

Could a self-respecting hipster actually say the dreaded words, "I live on Long Island?"

I think not.

It's better to commute for 3-5 hours per day and live in Brooklyn if you want to work in Melville.
There's some hipsters out in the east end. Wasn't Jackson Pollock a hipster of sorts.

Sucks the OP is just a tad too far- but as I described, this isn't an easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City