Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM

156 posts, read 193,642 times

Advertisements

Here's the short version: I moved to Brooklyn a month ago to take a job fundraising for a political organization while working on building contacts and experience to eventually move into the arts.

But last night, they let me go for having one bad week. Due to things that came up (long story) I've had to drain my savings recently, so I need to get something as soon as possible. Preferably by Monday, because I typically pay my rent ($640/mo.) by the week.

After spending most of today scanning Craigslist, working on updating my resume, and staring dead-eyed at the walls, I'm taking any suggestions about how I can find any job that pays above minimum wage while I get back on my feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Call your family and tell them the situation. This is somewhat a tough time to find a job since most retailers have already filled the holiday part-time jobs. Try headhunters/recruiters, etc

Keep your head up and good luck!!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
That's a very short timeframe to have to find a job. Maybe you could attend some Workforce1 hiring events. Depending on your qualifications, it does seem there are some events this week.

I suggest searching craigslist either for "hiring event" (will bring up more than just Workforce1 results) new york all jobs classifieds "hiring event" - craigslist or search for Workforce1.

You will find jobs like this one Busy cafe is hiring for multiple positions..Start ASAP , which has a hiring event on Monday. It might not pay what you're seeking, though.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM

And if worst comes to worst and you are out of money and can't even afford to get home to wherever you moved here from, NYC might pay for your bus ticket for you. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/29/ny.../29oneway.html

Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM

156 posts, read 193,642 times
My last job was only $9/hour, and I could survive off of it, sometimes with a little extra. As long as I can find a job that pays somewhere around there, I should be fine.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM

Don't forget the "ETC" section on craigslist jobs. Sometimes you can find a gig or two to tide you over. new york city et cetera jobs classifieds - craigslist

There's also a "gigs" section but I am not sure it's that useful.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:26 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,940 times
High end salon/spas can pay anywhere from $10-$20hr front desk jobs.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,126 times
First thing Monday morning go to the unemployment office to start collecting your benefits. This isn't the end of the world although it may feel like it, just keep your head together. After you come from the unemployment office proceed to the employment office where they'll have job listings. In the meantime sign up with some temp agencies for clerical work or any type of work to carry you over.

Go to your LL and explain that you hit a rough spot and you'll pay what you can (I know this sucks) and that you'll be willing to pay extra once you get another full-time job. In the meantime look for alternate housing if this isn't acceptable to your LL. Start asking friends or inquiring about shelters.

Whatever you do don't panic actually this might be the best time of the year to lose a job, seriously. UPS always hires at this time of year, so does the post office for seasonal work. This is the time you hustle and don't sit still feeling sorry for yourself, something will eventually come through.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
If you really want to make some decent money quickly you should consider waiting tables. Apply to just about any decent restaurant and see who is hiring. There are a lot of busy restaurants in Manhattan that need quality waiters. Depending on how good you are and how busy the place is you could make anywhere from $75-$200+ a night. Not to mention this is all cash.

I waited tables for 7 years and I made decent money. If I were down on my luck I'd definitely consider going back to it. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:55 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
You really expected a political campaign job to be secure? And on top of that, your plan was to move into 'the arts'? I think you need to reevaluate your goals if money is an issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City