Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM

402 posts, read 811,682 times

Advertisements

Original Obamaphone Lady: Obama Voter Says Vote for Obama because he gives a free Phone - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
BS--A friend of mine spent the first half of her adult life as a drunken wreck. Went through rehab (10 years clean and sober), got an education, and entered the medical field at the age of 50.
Was this woman on welfare her whole life, until she was 40 years old?

I also don't see what was on this woman's application, who knows, she maybe even successfully lied to get her first job.

I do know, however, when you apply for a job, particularly something that requires licensing, they tend to be very interested in what you've in the past 5 to 10 years. Not having worked in that time can be FATAL for applying for a professional job. I worked for a little while in human resources, and I was the guy who printed out the rejection letters.

Employers prefer people with stable work histories, and no one really cares about someone turning their life around.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Don't forget the US consumers 50% more than we produce! Recipe for disaster... Is everyone ready?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Taxpayers should not be obligated to pick up educational costs for advanced education. Provide them with a training program to be an LPN or paramedic and then they can figure out how to foot the bill to become a brain surgeon on their own.
Except people already do get financial aid for not just undergraduate degrees, but graduate degrees as well. Grants, scholarships, student loans. I went through all of this myself as an undergraduate, and will be going through that again as a grad student.

Mind you, financial aid isn't all government, a lot of its private, and the loans portion of it have to be paid back, regardless of whether the source is government or private.

But I'm pointing this out because if you have a straight A student from high school, there is no point is wasting time and effort in joining a LPN or paramedic program when you get just get your undergraduate degree and from there apply to medical school.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM

50 posts, read 54,129 times

And there you have it, just like this fine lady so elocuently states it: "Keep Obama a president, he gave us a phone ..he gon' do mo'!"

Good for you sweetheart! I on the other hand will probably be forced to emigrate once I'm finally fed-up with actually having to foot the bill for all this crap. Because I hate to break it to you darling but your Chocolate Messiah gets his money from ME, Mr U.S. Taxpayer.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I have a few stories like that as well ! I know a woman who became a radiologist (doctor) at age 51.
She is basically at the top of her field now.
But I bet she had a work history before becoming a radiologist.

Someone who is in their 40s and 50s, many of whom have addiction problems, generally are not able to turn their lives around enough to get professional jobs. And even if they do, things such as criminal records will likely prevent them from getting professional jobs, many of whom require licensing. Don't get me wrong, these people can still find work, it just isn't going to be in a spectacular career field.

I'm sure harlem resident has a few stories like that, but the KEY word is a FEW! Opportunities do diminish for older people, for all sorts of reasons.

Basically, people need to get it together young if they want to have good careers.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodStampNation View Post
And there you have it, just like this fine lady so elocuently states it: "Keep Obama a president, he gave us a phone ..he gon' do mo'!"

Good for you sweetheart! I on the other hand will probably be forced to emigrate once I'm finally fed-up with actually having to foot the bill for all this crap. Because I hate to break it to you darling but your Chocolate Messiah gets his money from ME, Mr U.S. Taxpayer.
I don't even know why right wing people would complain about a free phone. So what? Its the least of welfare's problems.

Yes, in supporting long term welfare, you enable people's addiction, crime increases, etc. It causes a lot of social problems.

But come on, a free phone? That's nothing in the scheme of the damage that permanent welfare does.

As for Obama expanding welfare programs, he has not. The House is mostly republican, and since Congress sets the budget, welfare programs have been cut in recent years, in many cases dramatically.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM

Yes, Its just a drop in the bucket of course, But I found it humorous and sad at the same time. So I thought I would share, by no means am I steaming mad over it.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodStampNation View Post

So, as to your question, "Will this happen in NYC?" the answer is YES! Once this country finally smashes into the wall of economic reality and discovers that it's BROKE ...expect the worst!
I posted the article on the ruling of the judge who stayed NYC did not have to pay for the City Advantage Housing program that placed homeless people in apartments. This program has been canceled. The only other program that placed people in apartments (NYC program) is HASA, the Aids welfare program, which IS being cut (they are drug testing people, and they've made eligility harder). And Bloomberg has more cuts pending.

Section 8 is the biggest housing voucher program, and its federal. But these days it takes awhile to get a Section 8 apartment, as funding for this too has been cut. Also many landlords these days DO not ACCEPT programs, in NYC.

So what has happened in GA is happening in NYC, as we speak. You should be happy.......

Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM

50 posts, read 54,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't even know why right wing people would complain about a free phone. So what? Its the least of welfare's problems.

Yes, in supporting long term welfare, you enable people's addiction, crime increases, etc. It causes a lot of social problems.

But come on, a free phone? That's nothing in the scheme of the damage that permanent welfare does.

As for Obama expanding welfare programs, he has not. The House is mostly republican, and since Congress sets the budget, welfare programs have been cut in recent years, in many cases dramatically.
First of all, NONE of it is "free". The U.S. Taxpayer is footing the bill for the 'free' phone PLUS the 'free' housing PLUS the 'free' Food Stamps PLUS the 'free' EBT Cards PLUS the 'free' Welfare check PLUS the 'free' healthcare.

Adding insult to injury, the Obama administration uses the "free" candy to get these deadbeats slobs to vote for him, on MY dime. This is NOT a "Republican vs Democrat" issue ...only a FOOL would believe that both parties are not completely beholden to and subservient to the exact same corporate interests that have bought & paid for our government representatives a LOOOOOOOOOoooooong time ago already.

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE RAMPANT F-R-A-U-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City