Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Most poor people are poor because they are stupid, or make stupid decisions. The one's that are not stupid, should only be poor for a small amount of time (getting back on your feet). In life you get what you put in... I have no pity for stupid people, or those who make stupid decisions, especially those over 30. All Social programs need to be trimmed by atleast 60%. If cuts aren't made to the budget, the whole country and world economy is going to collapse. And it will be because of those slimy dirty welfare collecting leeches!

In terms of social welfare programs, no fear, you have your wish already. As I noted, there are only two housing programs left in NYC that pay for apartments, and those are already in the process of being trimmed. If you don't have things together its increasingly impossible to get an apartment here.

You've had big cutbacks nationally to welfare programs, and a number of states have required drug testing programs.

You and Hilltop should be happy, things are going your way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Welfare is necessary now, especially in this economy.

I wonder where GA intends to place all of those displaced, hungry men, women and children when they're through "cleansing the rolls".

I have an idea, but I'll keep it to myself at this time.
Well, since its harder to get welfare, there's less of a need I assume for illegal immigrants. That's what will happen to some of the people who leave the rolls. I assume some of those who are forced off the rolls will be doing those types of jobs.

Or to be less humane about it, one thing that keeps the homeless population down is the low survival rate of those long term homeless people. With exposure to the elements and a lack of medical care, many will probably die quickly.

That's the essence of marginalization.

And no, I am not saying I'm a proponent of this. However, I am a critic of welfare programs and of being on the rolls long term. If all you've been on is welfare your entire adult life, you likely don't know how to do anything, like get an apartment after where you lived has been ruined by a storm. The thing is, you are your own best friend, and if you can't take care of yourself, no one else ultimately will.

I would happily see social services further cut if they did things like reduce offshoring, and other things to simply hire more people. The best way to help someone ultimately is to HIRE them..............

Welfare is not a long term solution.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, since its harder to get welfare, there's less of a need I assume for illegal immigrants. That's what will happen to some of the people who leave the rolls. I assume some of those who are forced off the rolls will be doing those types of jobs.
That assumes they're even capable of that much.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do know poor people personally. Indeed, I know those who are stuck in Far Rockaway after hurricane sandy. A consequence of being poor and totally dependent upon the government is when a disaster strikes, you are totally at the mercy of Bloomberg.

Does someone who's main life experience is the welfare/social services system even have the skills to find an apartment?

All these government programs due is create dependency.

For the record, I'm black, and my grandparents purchased a house in the 30s and raised their children. In those days, there was no "welfare". Either you got it together and did it or you went all the way under.
The state of NY had some form of welfare or gov't aide since the turn of the last century, and federal welfare appeared in the 1930's with the great depression it's also one of the main reasons ppl got of the extreme poverty of the great depression.

This is one subject I have a lot of knowledge and personal experience in, one studies overwhelmingly show that the nations that offer the most and best welfare programs have the largest decrease in poverty in the upcoming generations. The problem with out welfare system is it's actually BS compared to most developed countries it does not give enough opportunities or help to get ppl out of their situation but just enough to barely get by. You do not get out of poverty with hard work alone thats a lie conservatives tell it's through hard work and the right opportunities. My family has worked it way out from poverty we were almost homeless at one point but it was not just hard work we got a lot of help and everybody who has ever worked their way up has gotten a lot of help or at least one great opportunity.

Not to mention the vast majority of poor ppl are the hardest working ppl in the country it's a small minority of the poor who are that way because their lazy and don't work hard. Who works the toughest dirtiest jobs the poor, who usually works two sometimes three jobs the poor, who does all the menial labor jobs that allows our society to even function the poor.

We have to stop thinking so selfishly with this every man for themselves mentality were all connected were part of an ecosystem whether we realize it or not plus we're social animals there should be no reason for anyone to be living in destitution with all the knowledge we have.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:07 PM

First of all, my degree is in history, not in social work. It is not my mission in life to take every destitute person and put them on the path.

Second, to the extent I've gotten help through my own hard times, it was through help from relatives or friends. Outside the circle of people who know you, no one cares if you fall off the face of the earth. That's just the way that goes.

As far the "development" countries nonsense goes, Europe has been slaughtering its social benefits. They are unpopular there, particularly since general benefits attracted a number of poor people from third world countries. So yes, they've been cut in Europe as well. European nations, the part of the world who gave up Margaret Thatcher (extremely right wing) and Angela Merkel (right wing head of state of Germany who has been forcing big cutbacks in government in Europe).

Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 PM

And I'm going to say this about the "poor". People of all walks of life issues. Nothing is easy, getting a job, keeping, getting an education, etc. We all have our struggles and setbacks. And yes, we do sometimes need help.

The issue is some of you poverty advocates expect the rest of us to center our entire world around the "poor" and their so called problems. It gets to a point where if you cannot get it together, so what? Its your problem, and your problem alone.

And if you're unwilling to fix your own problems, then it sucks to be you, because no one else is going to solve them for you.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 AM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
And what ever happened to Shame? Aren't any of these people ashamed of themselves, that they suck at life so much they cant even pay for a loaf of bread or don't even have friends or family to house them temp?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:44 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why?

No shade Hilltop. I really wanna know why you hate them so much.
I don't hate poor people. I really don't. However I do hate arrogant poor people with atittudes. Best example I can think of is Precious' mom from the movie. People like that actually exist and are not the exception but the norm. And when you realize normal working people like myself foot the bill to support trash like that, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that the very same money you work so hard for support ghetto hood trash. People who are too lazy to get off their asses and work and become someone. They leech off the hard working and instead of being greatful, they give you atittude and swear up and down they are entitled to such benefits. The arrogance is unbelieveable. Not a humble bone in their body. Just gimme gimme gimme.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 12-27-2012 at 05:57 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
None of the people in the "soup line" kitchen appear to be starving, in fact, most of them have nicer clothes and shoes than I do.

I am glad to see that Georgia is taking the hard-line and hope that other states will do the same. I'm tired of people living off of my dime. I wish that Missouri would follow suit. I know MANY people who are taking advantage of the system, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Well said. I agree 100%.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
said well.

i always think of the sam kinison skit.

he is sitting on the floor sifting in sand. he goes this is sand. nothing rows in sand.

instead of aid and money we should be sending u-halls and vans so they can move to where the food is.

move to where the food is, what a novel idea.

much of the poor just keeps sifting through that sand over and over

many lost jobs and are still chasing ghosts instead of re-grouping and going elsewhere or into different fields,

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-27-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City