Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
The problem is as stated the law is 68 during the day and 55 at night--- you can want 71 all you want but you should know the law first because I can guarantee you the landlord does and I would tell you to take your fishy thermometers and shove them where the sun don't shine.. they mean nothing.

Yes, I know my LL knows what the law is, and so do I, especially since my company I work for owns a building and I do all that "RSA" crap. LOL....so I get it, and I know it.

But, my LL is a decent man, and he has told me on several occasions that he doesn't want his tenants and owners cold. So we do not have the heat battle. I let him know what the reading is.

Since I am on the board, he calls me to see what temp is, as he knows I have the thermometers in my apartment, and he has been in my apartment many times. being on the top floor, it takes a while for the heat to reach us, so he calls to see what the reading is. Unforuntely, living on the 4th floor, we are the "last" to get the heat, but we are the "first" to lose the heat when it shuts off.

He doesn't try to skimp on us. We are not going to get 78, that I know, but 71 is fair. 68 whether the law states it or not, "while beareable", is not comfortbale for humans, I don't care what anyone says.

My LL also knows that if it is too hot, I will also call him so he can lower the heat. We are both middle age men, so we work together and have a good relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
The problem is as stated the law is 68 during the day and 55 at night--- you can want 71 all you want but you should know the law first because I can guarantee you the landlord does and I would tell you to take your fishy thermometers and shove them where the sun don't shine.. they mean nothing.
LOL, and if YOU were my LL, and spoke to me like that, I would make a phone call, and you would most probably have 2 broken legs, for sure. There is no reason to be nasty. Just because your a LL, doesn't make me afraid of you. Not at all. LOL, and doesn't give you the right to speak to me like that either.

The reason for the thermometers was not to 'get' the LL, but for my own knowledge. Everyone feels the cold differently. So when I see my thermometer is 71, 72, and I still feel cold, I know that I can't ask for more heat, I know that as a logical man that it is already 71, and it is just me then, so I will put on a sweat shirt. But if it is 64, and I am cold, and I see 64, then I know it isn't just me.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
You could get a space heater and make your own heat if the landlord continues to be unreasonable and unresponsive to your needs.
A space heater is just going to raise her electric bill. 311 is the best route. A few 311 calls will trigger a visit from HPD. You can even do the complaint with 311 online now.

https://www1.nyc.gov/apps/311univers...ential+No+Heat

Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Yes, I know my LL knows what the law is, and so do I, especially since my company I work for owns a building and I do all that "RSA" crap. LOL....so I get it, and I know it.

But, my LL is a decent man, and he has told me on several occasions that he doesn't want his tenants and owners cold. So we do not have the heat battle. I let him know what the reading is.

Since I am on the board, he calls me to see what temp is, as he knows I have the thermometers in my apartment, and he has been in my apartment many times. being on the top floor, it takes a while for the heat to reach us, so he calls to see what the reading is. Unforuntely, living on the 4th floor, we are the "last" to get the heat, but we are the "first" to lose the heat when it shuts off.

He doesn't try to skimp on us. We are not going to get 78, that I know, but 71 is fair. 68 whether the law states it or not, "while beareable", is not comfortbale for humans, I don't care what anyone says.

My LL also knows that if it is too hot, I will also call him so he can lower the heat. We are both middle age men, so we work together and have a good relationship.
You call your LL when it is too hot, then you call again when it is too cold? Sounds like something out of Goldilocks and The Three Bears! *LOL*

Old 01-02-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You call your LL when it is too hot, then you call again when it is too cold? Sounds like something out of Goldilocks and The Three Bears! *LOL*

yes, then we get it right, then there are no more calls for the year.

he puts it on, we need more he raises it. if in the event it gets too hot, i tell him and he lowers it.
i am the only tenant he trusts that why he calls me.

*****sticks tongue out******

you annoy me

Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM

419 posts, read 626,249 times
Quote:
LOL, and if YOU were my LL, and spoke to me like that, I would make a phone call, and you would most probably have 2 broken legs, for sure. There is no reason to be nasty. Just because your a LL, doesn't make me afraid of you. Not at all. LOL, and doesn't give you the right to speak to me like that either.

The reason for the thermometers was not to 'get' the LL, but for my own knowledge. Everyone feels the cold differently. So when I see my thermometer is 71, 72, and I still feel cold, I know that I can't ask for more heat, I know that as a logical man that it is already 71, and it is just me then, so I will put on a sweat shirt. But if it is 64, and I am cold, and I see 64, then I know it isn't just me.
you are a barbarian dude, if you were my tenant you might end up getting shot.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
you are a barbarian dude, if you were my tenant you might end up getting shot.

, whatever!

PS: I would probably be your best tenant, you have no idea.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:

KK- dont put the thermometers on the window, it will not be a true
temperature of the inside of the room, it is best to have them opposite the
windows.
You misunderstood me. The one on the window is a big one on the OUTSIDE stuck on with suction cups so I can tell how I should dress before heading downstairs. Parka under 35, woolen bomber under 45, light leather under 55. FUR HAT and long johns for today...if I were dumb enough to go out.

Inside I have a thermometer and hygrometer in the middle of the living room, middle of hallway, and middle of bedroom.
So 4 thermometers total.
I am forever turning my steam registers on and off to keep it comfy. We get too much heat when the temperature goes over 40 so both registers must be off. (Both on today with a fan blowing into the bottom of one one...a secret of getting some extra heat.)

Old 01-07-2014, 09:48 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I have friends that I don't go to their home in the winter as they keep it bone chilling, to save on heating fuel, but yet they will use the portable electric radiators to heat a certain room at a time. I also think by lowering and raising the temp all the time, it doesnt save money because it has to constantly re heat was has turned cold....

Now when the summer comes they pump the a/c like there is no tomorrow.....

dont get it, they will pay a huge electric bill in the summer but wont splurge for the oil bill in the winter......doesnt it really equate???
I have 2 in-laws who are cheap but would never admit it. So, if you visit them in Winter they are layered with sweatpants, thermals, sweaters and you sit around and FREEZE. They say "We LIKE it cool."
They have central air conditioning and in the Summer it is always off so you sit and chat with sweat pouring off you and when you comment on the fact that it's 90 in the living room they say "We LIKE it warm."

If they were honest they would say "Hot or Cold we hate to spend money." (They have a million in the bank if they have a dime.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City