Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 8,117 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Back when I lived in NYC (in the early to late 90s), the places that were affordable to live were Astoria, Williamsburgh, Prospect Park. Prices in these neighborhoods have since skyrocketed and I was wondering what areas in which burroughs are still decently priced and not considered a dangerous neighborhood. I'm looking for a studio and am looking for something between $800 - $1,000. Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
I will wait for someone else to chime in before I say one word.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
It's ok Elvira go ahead LOL.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
search the internet for apartments that have prices within your range
next go to these neighborhoods during the day and at night to decide if you would feel comfortable living there.

because you know what, at the end of the day its all about your comfort level in the area, its not about crime. i live in far rockaway. its ghetto out here. that being said, i may go rent an apartment somewhere along the grand concourse in the 170's or 180's and feel comfortable as opposed to somebody who's been out of ny for 10 years and wants to come back. so the only way to be sure is to see the building and neighborhood for yourself and trust your own instincts. because at the end of the day, you make your bed, you lie in it whether the outcome is good or bad.

this is a big urban city nobody is completely safe from crime. sure some areas are more prone, but at the end of the day anything can happen anywhere. so the only way to figure these things out is to determine whether you would feel safe. i dont think there's 1 neighborhood in nyc that looks like "the ghetto" or "the hood" and is actually a low crime area.you're pretty much able to tell the difference with a little common sense. whenever i leave nyc, i can tell if im in the hood or not.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:48 AM

47 posts, read 163,227 times
I don't know I've been told by friends from "whiter" neighborhoods that Elmhurst looks ghetto which I guess some parts do but growing up there it never felt dangerous to me.

You could probably find a studio for 1000 in Corona or Jamaica. Anywhere else near the train you better up it to 1200. I'm in the same boat as you as far as budget goes and it's pretty frustrating finding a place.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:20 AM

536 posts, read 2,348,673 times
Woodhaven, Glendale, Middle Village fit in price range in listings I've seen. Midwood and Gravesend in Brooklyn. You're gonna be a bit farther out from the city if you want affordable, I think that's the reality of the situation right now.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:03 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lintriago View Post
Hi,

Back when I lived in NYC (in the early to late 90s), the places that were affordable to live were Astoria, Williamsburgh, Prospect Park. Prices in these neighborhoods have since skyrocketed and I was wondering what areas in which burroughs are still decently priced and not considered a dangerous neighborhood. I'm looking for a studio and am looking for something between $800 - $1,000. Any advice/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.
welcome back to NYC. BTW they now spell the word as BOROUGH instead of BURROUGH, the latter presumably being the way it was formerly spelled when you were here.

That price range will be tough but I agree on some outer borough locations previously mentioned.

Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:42 PM

391 posts, read 1,248,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
whenever i leave nyc, i can tell if im in the hood or not.
yea for most parts of the country, but california ghettos get tricky. Theres places with nice single family homes with fences and green grass but the neighborhood is a warzone. Compton would be a good example.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 AM

197 posts, read 895,059 times
They are c even countless apartment finder websites. Many even allow you to search base on needs you have such as number of bathrooms, bedrooms, laundry room, etc, and also by your price range. Now as far as the neighborhood goes it depends on you and your comfort level. Don't bother asking people on this forum if a neighborhood is safe or not. Most people on these forums will have you thinking any neighborhood that isn't all white is as dangerous as Baghdad I suggest visiting the neighborhood during the day and at night to see how it is. Also its location may or may not be good for in regards to subway access, too much traffic etc.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:46 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKTony View Post
Don't bother asking people on this forum if a neighborhood is safe or not. Most people on these forums will have you thinking any neighborhood that isn't all white is as dangerous as Baghdad .
Please back up your claim and stop speaking for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: