Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:58 AM

23 posts, read 60,070 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of moving from brooklyn to either Kew Gardens or forest hills..

I am looking for a safe neighborhood with a good school district as i have to youngsters that will be starting school soon.

We are also looking for some what of a diverse community as we are an african american family.

Please honest opinions about the two neighborhoods listed above.

Will we feel comfortable in those neighborhood or will we get the odd stares?

looking to spend anywhere from 2k to 2500 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
The "best" school district in Queens is District 26 which borders Nassau County on the north shore. These would be areas like Bayside, Whitestone, Fresh Meadows north, etc.

Here is a link to the school districts:

Insideschools.org :: School Districts

All the public schools in Queens are pretty racially diverse. I know when I was a student, there weren't many African-American children enrolled in the private schools in in Malba or Bayside/Bay Terrace but by and large, I don't think thats the case anymore.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:53 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
I think if you were to ask this question 5-10 years ago the answer would be different. These two areas are both experiencing new amounts of diversity and have had a solid increase in the working to middle class Black/Hispanic/Asian population. And while I am not sure if they fall within the same district since they are right next to eachother, they do have a very good public school system that is diverse over there. IMO I'd say go for it and best of luck.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfeen View Post
I have been thinking of moving from brooklyn to either Kew Gardens or forest hills..

I am looking for a safe neighborhood with a good school district as i have to youngsters that will be starting school soon.

We are also looking for some what of a diverse community as we are an african american family.

Why are you leaving Brooklyn? What neighborhood do you live?

Diverse? Since this is a concern, you should define your view of comfortable diversity? Such can be different for different people.

Have you considered a liveable non-trendy Brooklyn neighborhood and sending your children to private school? There a number of private options, from Catholic schools, many many private Carribean schools which are very very good, as well as the more established private schools such as Brooklyn Friends School, which is excellent and diverse, though costly. The Catholic and Carribean schools are relatively affordable.

As far as Kew Gardens and Forest Hills, I suggest you do a forum search and read up. The basic thing to understand is that Queens is a Borough of immigrants, most of whom are from Eastern Europe, Cental and South American, Asia and sub-continental Asia. Black people in those areas and most of Western Queens are a very very very small minority.

Adults consist of an incredibly small number of black Transplants having moved here post college, or the largest portion consisting of long time residents residing in whatever existing public or subsidized housing. The majority of children attending public school are from this group. I personally do not know of any middle income or better blacks living in either area with children.

You will find the areas neither welcoming nor overtly hostile. Apathy will be the general reaction, with a small level of negative reaction. The major thing to comprehend is that, overall, you are not living in an American neighborhood, not what is thought of as a traditional 'white' neighborhood, but an immigrant neighborhood. You are not only a minority, but in many respects an outsider with no cultural nor language commonality.

I will say this, if you are a well spoken, well dressed, well mannered, you will not be perceived that way. You will be perceived as the stereotype on first contact. Some will react to the stereotype. For blacks used to non-black environments, this may be par for the course and easily handled. If you are not experienced in dealing you may find difficulties.

If you a person who is less well mannered and find such things as 'not' being 'black', and tend toward what you beilieve are more authentic 'black attitudes and behaviors' then you may feed the stereotype and have negative reaction. Not being the stereotype can have positive reaction as you present yourself as more than what my be expected. Some might find this puzzling, as they may have no experience and no knowledge other than the stereotype.

(If you stick around you will find some carry similar attitudes in this forum.)

You will also find that for the overwhelming part the immigrants stick very much to their own kind, and though they may not say it to your face, think themselves superior to Americans. Note, that in their countries images of black people are generally negative, and that can color attitudes.

On the positive note, the children and kids do not carry the racial baggage of their parents. They very often interact and socialize with little negative regard for race or culture. On the one hand this is breat, but on the other being a serious parent, you may have issue with your children socializing with many of these children. I find many immigrant parents lacking in parenting skills necessary to raise their now American children in an American environment.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
@ jcoltrance this is in no way meant to offend but you know how told me how I have no idea about Flushing and such and such... the way you speak proves to me that you haven't been to forest hills or kew gardens in a long time... I have worked in this area commute through here everyday and speak with the locals and know the shift in demographics and i can tell you that while no area that isn't majority black will pull the red carpet for you... you will not be met with hostility or resistance in this neighborhood that is rapidly becoming more diverse...

Kew Gardens had already had a significant African American population and that number is now only growing with more and more middle class black folk moving out of the hood and coming to areas like these which are close to areas like Jamaica/South Jamaica... While I agree with what you said about Queens being a place of immigrants the eastern europeans (who a good number of them do have ill feelings towards anyone not of their own kind) aren't moving in droves to areas like these but rather places like Middle Village, Glendale, Maspeth, parts of Ridgewood along these borders, among others...

People need to stop scaring Black folk from moving into location in NYC... this isn't the 50s and 60s... some people on here need to stop what seems to be a concerted effort to scare either immigrant or African-american folk from living here while catering to other groups and giving them basically the whole NYC region as an acceptable area to move to but Black folks are only limited to Southeast Queens or Northeast Brooklyn... It's ridiculous...

The fact is there is diversity in queens and NYC in general has become much more diverse over the years and even areas that at one point were considered predominantly white are now a mix of white, asian, hispanic and black in queens and these include areas like forest hills and kew gardens...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:04 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Hi, consider the Jackson Heights Historic District or East Elmhurst, just north of Northern Blvd in the same area. I live there, I am African American. If you want to private message me to discuss, please feel free.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:05 PM

23 posts, read 60,070 times
I would like to thank everyone for being honest with their opinions. My wife and I are both professionals. I have been a psychologist for the past 7 years and Im just looking for a great neighborhood where my kids can go to school .. I currently live in Ditmas park brooklyn which is a great place to live. Beautiful homes and great people, But the community schools haven't caught up yet with what has been going on in the neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,018 times
AVOID
South Jamaica
Far Rockaway
Queensbridge

Nice Parts
Jamaica Estates
Jamaica Hills
Malba
Hollis Hills
Holliswood
Kew Gardens
Briarwood
Forest Hills

Okay Parts
St. Albans
Cambria Heights
Springfield Gardens
Jackson Heights
Astoria
Elmhurst
East Elmhurst
Flushing(urban area)
Sunnyside
Ridgewood
Laurelton
Addisleigh Park

Sketchy Parts
Corona
Hollis

Hope you enjoy it
PS where ur movin to is a very nice area

Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
AVOID
South Jamaica
Far Rockaway
Queensbridge

Nice Parts
Jamaica Estates
Jamaica Hills
Malba
Hollis Hills
Holliswood
Kew Gardens
Briarwood
Forest Hills

Okay Parts
St. Albans
Cambria Heights
Springfield Gardens
Jackson Heights
Astoria
Elmhurst
East Elmhurst
Flushing(urban area)
Sunnyside
Ridgewood
Laurelton
Addisleigh Park

Sketchy Parts
Corona
Hollis

Hope you enjoy it
PS where ur movin to is a very nice area
I would add Rego Park to the okay parts.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfeen View Post

if you have kids, i would suggest Bayside or Forest Hills. If commute to the city is a concern, Forest Hills would probably be a better bet. If schooling is more of a concern, both are good but I think Bayside is better.

As for your racial concerns, I think that's silly. While both areas are pretty racially diverse, they are heavily white and this is going to be true in most areas in queens with the exception of a few areas. If you think you're going to get odd stares, then no matter what, you will see it as you will be looking for it.

It is unfortunate, but those areas with heavy immigrant population, schooling is always a concern. I have lived in woodside for over 30yrs and although a very good neighborhood, but because of my daughter's schooling, will be looking into moving to bayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City