Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM

65 posts, read 239,322 times

Advertisements

I'm narrowing my search down to a few locations and wanted an opinion on which is the most appealing. Here are the locations I'm trying to find an apartment for rent.

1.Brooklyn - Fort Greene, Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Williamsburg
2. Queens - Astoria

-Which of the neighborhoods is the safest?
-Which of the neighborhoods are the best for parking a car?
-Which has nightlife available...ie, bars, restaurants etc. ?
-Which has closest access to the subway?

Add any other info I should be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamEntropy36 View Post
I'm narrowing my search down to a few locations and wanted an opinion on which is the most appealing. Here are the locations I'm trying to find an apartment for rent.

2. Queens - Astoria

All neighborhoods are safe. With that being said, the least safest out of the 5 are Fort Greene and Williamsburg.

When you're asking which neighborhood is the best for parking a car - do you mean in terms of available parking spaces on the street, or safest as not getting broken into?

All neighborhoods you mentioned have nightlife available.

As far as closest access to the subway I would say Brooklyn Heights, but all neighborhoods you mentioned have access to the subway.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Brooklyn Heights all the way. I don't say this as biased because I lived there, but easily the best subway connections outside of Manhattan (and better than basically anywhere in Manhattan except Downtown), pretty quiet so you'll have more of a shot at parking and completely safe. It doesn't have as much in the way of nightlife, but you're a quick walk or subway ride from basically anywhere that does.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:12 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:

2. Queens - Astoria

-Which of the neighborhoods is the safest? All are safe with Brooklyn Heights, Astoria and Park Slope being generally safer than Williamsburg and Fort Greene. Keep in mind there is some block to block variation as some of these neighborhoods are sizable.
-Which of the neighborhoods are the best for parking a car? Astoria, but ask yourself if owning a car is completely necessary given the extent and availability of mass transit and the associated cost and hassles of car ownership in NYC.
-Which has nightlife available...ie, bars, restaurants etc. ? All have nightlife to some extent available and catering to different crowds, but Williamsburg has a lot more prominent nightlife. They all have plenty of great restaurants save for maybe Brooklyn Heights which still has a few highlights (like the oddly located Sushi Gallery) and is a bit sleepier overall.

-Which has closest access to the subway? This is very dependent on where you live in those neighborhoods. You can potentially have great subway access in all of these neighborhoods.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
I would say it depends on the apartments but I would forget about Fort Mean

Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
All neighborhoods are safe. With that being said, the least safest out of the 5 are Fort Greene and Williamsburg.

When you're asking which neighborhood is the best for parking a car - do you mean in terms of available parking spaces on the street, or safest as not getting broken into?

All neighborhoods you mentioned have nightlife available.

As far as closest access to the subway I would say Brooklyn Heights, but all neighborhoods you mentioned have access to the subway.
I mean parking available on the street. If not I will have to find a garage somewhere. I am trying to avoid constant ticketing and broken windows as well.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
I mean parking available on the street. If not I will have to find a garage somewhere. I am trying to avoid constant ticketing and broken windows as well.
Or you could rent a place that has parking. With street parking certain areas you can't park in at certain times. It might be a bit inconvenient.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
You picked all the trendy neighborhoods. I guess if you are young 20s you will fit right in.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You picked all the trendy neighborhoods. I guess if you are young 20s you will fit right in.
I recently turned 30 and don't really care about trendy, but I don't want to be in a neighborhood full of families. I'm also not single so I'm not on the prowl, but I do want to be around some type of energy. I'm guessing from the responses I should narrow things down to Brooklyn Heights and Astoria.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
I enjoy Brooklyn Heights since you'll be in Manhattan super fast but I personally have a thing for Astoria. I just love the ethnic diversity, Astoria park and "Hookah Lane" in Steinway, Noguchi Museum. Overall, I just enjoy Queens better. However, if you're looking for hip parties and art Williamsburg is the place to be and its also a zip line into the LES from the JMZ lines.

I enjoy Park Slope since its very laid back, nice cafes and everything. Like I said, I prefer Astoria but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City