Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times

Advertisements

There have been serious proposals to make the city and surrounding counties its own state. The district idea is absurd. DC will sooner become a state than NYC become a district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why does this city get the weirdest questions of all of the different sections of CityData?
I wonder if it is the result of the decline in American education. Millennials appear to be dumb as SHT!

Why is it that they think and act as if the World started when they woke up this moring????

Little knowledge of AND no *sense* of HISTORY!!

Why a "district"? Powerless, w/o influence and no electoral votes. Congress would run the city and the Mayor w/b powerless.

Becoming a STATE w/b far more intelligent. Movements for NYC statehood is nothing new. Though I realize you didn't know that when you woke this moring.

New York City: the 51st State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secession in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
I just wanna point out, even without NYC the state would not become Republican. For one the majority of the rest of the population lives in heavily Democratic areas across the state (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany). Downstate is the most heavily populated area of course, and increasingly Democratic. Also, most Rural New Yorkers have more in common with New Englanders than with Southerners.

Jcoltrane and Airborne Guy, the purpose of a message board is discussion. If you don't like it, GTFO. Leave your personal attacks out and provide some real information.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I just wanna point out, even without NYC the state would not become Republican. For one the majority of the rest of the population lives in heavily Democratic areas across the state (Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Albany). Downstate is the most heavily populated area of course, and increasingly Democratic. Also, most Rural New Yorkers have more in common with New Englanders than with Southerners.

Jcoltrane and Airborne Guy, the purpose of a message board is discussion. If you don't like it, GTFO. Leave your personal attacks out and provide some real information.
Ever heard of George Pataki or Alfonse D'Amato ? Who do you think controls the NY State Senate ?

Without NYC to balance the upstate vote NY would definitely be ,at the very least ,a swing state with strong R leanings.If you think otherwise you haven't been observing NY politics long enough.Upstate is much closer to Ohio in political temperament than it is to Vermont,Massachusetts,Ct,etc.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-15-2013 at 05:40 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Not true, going by the last presidential election, if you take out NYC, Long Island and the counties directly north of the Bronx, NYS has a strong chance of going Republican. Link

Most democratic counties won by a small margin, wile the republican counties generally won by a larger margin. There's deff a case to say NYS would go republican without NYC and its neighboring counties.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Interesting, then I stand corrected.

Although I had the popular vote in mind.

But with continuing urbanization and diversity, how long before my statement is proven correct?

Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Not true, going by the last presidential election, if you take out NYC, Long Island and the counties directly north of the Bronx, NYS has a strong chance of going Republican. Link

Most democratic counties won by a small margin, wile the republican counties generally won by a larger margin. There's deff a case to say NYS would go republican without NYC and its neighboring counties.
Nassau,Suffolk and Westchester aren't even what you would call reliably dem. They swing back and forth as it is and regularly elect R county execs, US congressman,county legislatures,etc.Republicans only lost control of Nassau recently because of scandals and the Republicans are coming back into favor there.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
I didn't direct a single word of my post at you. It specifically addressed your question, of which I still make the same assessment. There is no information to provide here. You posed a completely implausible hypothetical.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
I forgot a another major con of separating from NYS, our water source. While the city technically owns the land on which the reservoir is located, it's still in upstate NY. I have no doubt the city would end up being gouged by the rest of NYS if the city formed its own state.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 AM

71 posts, read 152,729 times
make it a state not a district
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City