Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM

7 posts, read 9,990 times

Advertisements

We are renting in the downtown area of Jersey City and I am getting tired of it, I really want a little house, something with a yard, however small, and a village-y neighborhood. I am 41, my boyfriend is 48, and although we want kids, sadly, I am not sure if it is going to happen for us. So I don't want to be stuck in a suburb where absolutely everyone has kids and everyone's social life revolves around their children. But I am also tired of being around the 20 something hipsters here in Jersey City. Does anyone have ideas for us? Here are the parameters:

-price range up to 800k or so, but prefer to keep taxes 12k or less/year. That seems to exclude quite a lot of areas. 1500 sq ft is enough space, small house or townhouse, yard, even if tiny, is a must. We don't mind renovating either.
-not horrible commute to Wall Street where my boyfriend works as an attorney. I am mostly home office.
-will consider CT, NY or NJ. My top choice is southern CT because my mom lives in Litchfield County and the taxes are low, but my boyfriend associates the commutable areas (eg Greenwich) with snobbery. I don't know enough about it either way.
-My BF prefers NJ but he is not from the NE originally and hasn't lived anywhere else so I think this is because it is what he knows. NJ is my last choice because it is a hassle to get to CT to visit my mom. But if this is the best option we would do it.
-Would love to join a reasonably priced tennis club. Does not have to be in the same town, but close by.
-Of course I expect there to be families wherever we go, but I would like to feel like we are not the only childless, professional couple.

Sorry this is so long, if anyone has some suggestions for a good fit, I would love to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
I agree it would have to be somewhere in NJ if your BF is working downtown. Westchester and CT would be a burdensome commute since the ride from GC to city hall alone could take 30 minutes.

Where in NJ, I do not know. My boss is childless and she lives in Madison NJ.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinyc111 View Post
We are renting in the downtown area of Jersey City and I am getting tired of it, I really want a little house, something with a yard, however small, and a village-y neighborhood. I am 41, my boyfriend is 48, and although we want kids, sadly, I am not sure if it is going to happen for us. So I don't want to be stuck in a suburb where absolutely everyone has kids and everyone's social life revolves around their children. But I am also tired of being around the 20 something hipsters here in Jersey City. Does anyone have ideas for us? Here are the parameters:

-price range up to 800k or so, but prefer to keep taxes 12k or less/year. That seems to exclude quite a lot of areas. 1500 sq ft is enough space, small house or townhouse, yard, even if tiny, is a must. We don't mind renovating either.
-not horrible commute to Wall Street where my boyfriend works as an attorney. I am mostly home office.
-will consider CT, NY or NJ. My top choice is southern CT because my mom lives in Litchfield County and the taxes are low, but my boyfriend associates the commutable areas (eg Greenwich) with snobbery. I don't know enough about it either way.
-My BF prefers NJ but he is not from the NE originally and hasn't lived anywhere else so I think this is because it is what he knows. NJ is my last choice because it is a hassle to get to CT to visit my mom. But if this is the best option we would do it.
-Would love to join a reasonably priced tennis club. Does not have to be in the same town, but close by.
-Of course I expect there to be families wherever we go, but I would like to feel like we are not the only childless, professional couple.

Sorry this is so long, if anyone has some suggestions for a good fit, I would love to hear them!
You can't consider Ct if you don't want a horrible commute to Wall st.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. For NJ, wouldn't the subway from NJ Transit in Penn station to Wall street also take a similar amount of time? Or is that faster?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
I work downtown. My coworkers from NJ usually take the PATH to WTC.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM

bg7-- thanks for the advice. Should we exclude Westchester too, since that would also take us to Grand Central or would that be better because the train time would be quicker?

Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
bg7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. For NJ, wouldn't the subway from NJ Transit in Penn station to Wall street also take a similar amount of time? Or is that faster?
You can, not really any faster.
Or you can get on somewhere connecting with the PATH - that will take you to Wall st. directly.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM
bg7

Quote:
bg7-- thanks for the advice. Should we exclude Westchester too, since that would also take us to Grand Central or would that be better because the train time would be quicker?
I live in Westchester, I wouldn't want to do the commute to Wall St. My train ride to GCT is 35 mins, but when you add up walking time at either end and a subway journey to Wall st., the commute will wear down a normal person.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
You can also consider Brooklyn as well.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM

Forest-Hills-- so the key is living near one of the path trains-- like your boss from Madison would drive to the Newark Path station? Or even drive back to Jersey City and take the Ferry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City