Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times

Advertisements

What are current home prices for homes in Bay Ridge. Also lived there briefly on Ovington between 4th and 5th ave's. Closer to Shore still considered the desirable areas? Also what Catholic grade schools are still pretty robust with enrollment? Is the area overall pretty safe? Thanks in advance. BTW on sidenote what's a better area Dyker heights or Bay Ridge? Is Bensonhurst still a viable area like Dyker or the Ridge? Was at church this past Sunday at Regina Pacis in Bensonhurst, beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 AM

389 posts, read 664,442 times
I think a little more info would help folks answer your question a bit better. Are you looking for a co-op, Brownstone, Single Family Home?

Shore Rd and the area in the 'high 90s' are considered 'more desirable' Personally, I like the area in the high 70s between colonial and 4th. Less parking headaches and closer to 'stuff'

Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Not a coop. Brownstone,Limestone or single family home. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Not a coop. Brownstone,Limestone or single family home. Thanks.
What is your budget? You do know that all of those properties you mentioned are very expensive in Bay Ridge. A decent Brownstone (if you can find one) can easily run you $1.5 million and up.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Wow! How can a middle class family afford anything there? Seems like if you don't inherit a home your done.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
I think the avg house price for the nabe would be around a million or so, there is certainly supply for less (700K-900K or so).
Bensonhurst is cheaper, I still think a house is 600K ish in that area

Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Most houses are going to be 650K and up. You can find houses cheaper than that (not regularly) but they are usually small houses and it doesn't sound like what you are looking for. Closer to Shore means you're probably going to pay 950K to over a million. Millions of dollars if you're looking at the right place. Don't feel so bad---I can't afford a house here either.

Dyker is okay. You can find cheaper houses as long as the guidos haven't snatched them up and do what they do. Nice area but more of a suburban feel. There isn't a lot of access to public transportation in Dyker either. Bensonhurst is okay---cheaper houses but I do not like the area as much. There are more stores around there.

I think OLA (now HOA) has decent enrollment. St. Anselm's and St. Ephrem's as well.

You can just head over to Trulia, put in parameters and see what is for sale right now. Get an idea of how much what you're looking for costs. What are you looking to pay?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
What is your budget? You do know that all of those properties you mentioned are very expensive in Bay Ridge. A decent Brownstone (if you can find one) can easily run you $1.5 million and up.
Exaggeration, definitely. The nicest houses on Shore Road will run that much or more, up to $3M at most for the fanciest mansions. But the ordinary limestone row houses in the center of the neighborhood are typically $500-700k, maybe a bit more if recently renovated or less if really run down.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Exaggeration, definitely. The nicest houses on Shore Road will run that much or more, up to $3M at most for the fanciest mansions. But the ordinary limestone row houses in the center of the neighborhood are typically $500-700k, maybe a bit more if recently renovated or less if really run down.
Exaggeration? No. Realistic yes. Maybe you need to do your homework before you comment. I've lived in Bay Ridge for over 6 years up until a month ago. I know how much the Brownstones go for and the average price of properties there. You will not find a Limestone for anywhere near $500-700 that is in moderately decent shape. Not in Bay Ridge. You won't even find a 3 bedroom condo for that much. Also your comment about the Shore Rd homes is also wrong. The ones that rarely go on sale usually run for at least $1.7 million and up. I've seen houses go for up to $6 million. There is a piece of land on 77th and Ridge that is going for $2 million. Just land, no house.

Just in case you didn't read the OP question he was asking about homes in Bay Ridge, not East New York. Bay Ridge in no way a affordable place to own a home. As lovely as it is I could not afford anything more than a 2 bedroom coop so now I'm out on LI. A decent 2 bedroom Condo goes for around $500, let alone a house.

The saddest day for us was leaving Bay Ridge. Everyone I know that has lived there loved it but had to move out because they couldn't afford anything there. I really sucks seeing all those nice homes along Ridge, Colonial and Narrows and knowing I will never be able to afford one

Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Deeken, That's what sucks about NYC. People live and grow up in a area but are forced out due to economics. I do believe in capitalism and free market though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City