Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
IMO still the hood. If you want the train you gotta go to Utica Avenue and around there isn't gentrified one bit. If you choose to hang in your neighborhood you will stay in your little Lewis Avenue bubble and that's it. Because if you go immediately north or east of your apartment, things deteriorate - downright fast. And if you're not used to the hood you'll feel confined.
There is enough going on in that bubble to keep you fed and (and drunk). And if you must get out, you can go west and hit the Nostrand, Bedford, Franklin corridors. When I hang out in my area, I'm pretty much stuck in my "Bedford Corners" bubble unless I go west too. Also, I think Nostrand at the A train is hood! Sometimes I'll take the A then hop on the bus and there's always some riffraff loitering around that area. Fulton St is pretty much Fulton street. Cheep-o stores, fast food and people just hanging about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
IMO still the hood. If you want the train you gotta go to Utica Avenue and around there isn't gentrified one bit. If you choose to hang in your neighborhood you will stay in your little Lewis Avenue bubble and that's it. Because if you go immediately north or east of your apartment, things deteriorate - downright fast. And if you're not used to the hood you'll feel confined.
Exactly. I know the area jad2k is mentioning, Stuyvesant Heights, is somewhat of a buppie area, but Halsey St is like the very north border line of that section. Soon as you walk up north on Lewis Ave, it's like a different world. This is assuming that the OP doesn't want to confine himself to just the Stuyvesant Heights section.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
. Because if you go immediately north or east of your apartment, things deteriorate - downright fast.
Well, I will give you that LOL. But he's got a few blocks as buffer and there is no reason to walk north (there isn't anything up there in terms of amenities anyway) unless he's trying to take the B52 but he's off Halsy so he doesn't have to. I walked from my place to Brooklyn Beso for brunch and then was too tired to walk back so I walked up Lewis to the bus on Gates. As I walked further up towards Gates I was thinking "...wait a minute...this sh** is getting sketchy..." I was waiting at that bus stop like LOL

Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Exactly. I know the area jad2k is mentioning, Stuyvesant Heights, is somewhat of a buppie area, but Halsey St is like the very north border line of that section. Soon as you walk up north on Lewis Ave, it's like a different world. This is assuming that the OP doesn't want to confine himself to just the Stuyvesant Heights section.
No there is a buffer of several blocks until it gets sketchy. I've walked it as a woman, alone. It starts around Madison. My friend lives on Jefferson and near Stuyvesant. Her blocks are totally fine.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Well, I will give you that LOL. But he's got a few blocks as buffer and there is no reason to walk north (there isn't anything up there in terms of amenities anyway) unless he's trying to take the B52 but he's off Halsy so he doesn't have to. I walked from my place to Brooklyn Beso for brunch and then was too tired to walk back so I walked up Lewis to the bus on Gates. As I walked further up towards Gates I was thinking "...wait a minute...this sh** is getting sketchy..." I was waiting at that bus stop like LOL
Yeah thats what I mean. It's not like Smith Street where you can walk for blocks and not feel confined. You will be confined to a small area and it's human nature to want to explore. You'll find yourself on the B26 a lot. Tell me since you live in the area, are the following within a 10 minute walk of your place?

-Cleaners
-Supermarket
-Bank
-Post office
-Gas station
-Hospital

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No there is a buffer of several blocks until it gets sketchy. I've walked it as a woman, alone. It starts around Madison. My friend lives on Jefferson and near Stuyvesant. Her blocks are totally fine.
Stuyvesant Ave may be different, but for Lewis Ave, the contrast is immediate once you go up north pass Halsey, in my experience.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 39,001 times
I tend to hang out in Clinton Hill (that was my top choice for apartment in BK, but cost was not practical) I like to go to Dahlias on Nostrand and walk along Fulton. As said before I only go north to visit my friend who lives on Hart, and I definitely see no reason to go East of Stuyvesant.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy88 View Post
I tend to hang out in Clinton Hill (that was my top choice for apartment in BK, but cost was not practical) I like to go to Dahlias on Nostrand and walk along Fulton. As said before I only go north to visit my friend who lives on Hart, and I definitely see no reason to go East of Stuyvesant.
Well in that case, as I said, enjoy your move to BK! You should enjoy yourself and since you have a good idea of what's comfortable you, you should not have any trouble.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 7,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy88 View Post
Question about this "Saragina" place: Please don't take this as a stupid question. I have been told by several Bed-stuy residents that this place is a classic example of a white owned establishment that moves into a minority neighborhood and only wants to cater to it's ideal demographic (white yuppie/hipster) and treat the native people poorly. I have always wanted to check it out, but that deterred me. Can anyone validate/disagree with this? Maybe the people who told me went on a bad day?
First of all, the neighborhood is great. Ignore the nay sayers. It's lovely here. You'll be fine. I live a few blocks away from your new apartment. I moved here a year ago.

Regarding Saraghina - it is true that their service isn't always the best. There have been more than a few times when I have been quoted a 20 minute wait and have sat in the front, waiting for much longer than that, without any eye contact or acknowledgement from any of the staff. It's especially awkward because you are waiting by the bar, where the young Italian lady, who I presume is a co-owner or manager, tends the bar and completely ignores the fact that you've been standing around waiting.

However, being a young white girl myself, I don't attribute it to them wanting to cater to a specific demographic. It's just plain bad service. It really soured my impression of the restaurant, and I suppose I am reinforcing their bad behavior by coming back - but, it's close by and delicious.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 39,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuyheights View Post
First of all, the neighborhood is great. Ignore the nay sayers. It's lovely here. You'll be fine. I live a few blocks away from your new apartment. I moved here a year ago.

Regarding Saraghina - it is true that their service isn't always the best. There have been more than a few times when I have been quoted a 20 minute wait and have sat in the front, waiting for much longer than that, without any eye contact or acknowledgement from any of the staff. It's especially awkward because you are waiting by the bar, where the young Italian lady, who I presume is a co-owner or manager, tends the bar and completely ignores the fact that you've been standing around waiting.

However, being a young white girl myself, I don't attribute it to them wanting to cater to a specific demographic. It's just plain bad service. It really soured my impression of the restaurant, and I suppose I am reinforcing their bad behavior by coming back - but, it's close by and delicious.
I hope my question didn't offend you in anyway. Thanks for the respectful response, maybe thats the way the residents I spoke to took the poor service. I also looked them up on yelp and the reviews were similar to what you said. BUT I LOVE thin crust pizza. I will give them a try, I hope I don't like them! I am trying to lose weight and its not good for them to be a block away!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City