Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM

424 posts, read 973,793 times

Advertisements

I’ve been wondering about this for a while- how do individuals who work for themselves rent apartments in NYC?

Most landlords want to see proof of employment or “verifiable” employment that will satisfy the 40x rent rule; which usually means working at a company or for someone who can verify you make what you say you do… I’m sure many landlords wouldn’t want to take someone who has their own business since they’re viewed as a "risky" tenant. I understand that since they don't want to risk giving a lease to someone who may not be able to pay a month or more in rent but considering this city draws a lot of people who create startups and freelance what are they to do if they want their own apartment (and not a roommate share situation)?

Do they need to have a larger security deposit or need more cash in their savings to assure the landlord they meet the financial requirements? Any experience from small business owners/ entrepreneur renters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM

81 posts, read 175,638 times
My old roommate was a freelancer, when we signed the lease for our apartment he just provided copies of his last 2 or so years' tax returns instead of recent paystubs, it didn't seem to be a problem. His income was pretty steady from year to year, I think that's moreso what they look for.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee09 View Post
My old roommate was a freelancer, when we signed the lease for our apartment he just provided copies of his last 2 or so years' tax returns instead of recent paystubs, it didn't seem to be a problem. His income was pretty steady from year to year, I think that's moreso what they look for.
I got an apartment and I'm a freelancer. You just show your tax returns and you show your bank statements. It wasn't a problem, as long as they see the income coming in.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I’ve been wondering about this for a while- how do individuals who work for themselves rent apartments in NYC?

Most landlords want to see proof of employment or “verifiable” employment that will satisfy the 40x rent rule; which usually means working at a company or for someone who can verify you make what you say you do… I’m sure many landlords wouldn’t want to take someone who has their own business since they’re viewed as a "risky" tenant. I understand that since they don't want to risk giving a lease to someone who may not be able to pay a month or more in rent but considering this city draws a lot of people who create startups and freelance what are they to do if they want their own apartment (and not a roommate share situation)?

Do they need to have a larger security deposit or need more cash in their savings to assure the landlord they meet the financial requirements? Any experience from small business owners/ entrepreneur renters?
Simple three words:

PROOF OF INCOME!

The same words apply toward buying a car, a home, property, an Amex card, etc.

People with solid businesses, incomes and credit, don't have a problem. They not only can document their income, but they have bankers, lawyers, and accountants as verifiers.

Though I suspect, you are thinking more on the MARGINAL side of life, those w/o solid jobs, income and/or credit; and, for whom, freelancing and entrpreneurship is just a cover for not making much money, unemployment, unconventionality, and problems with authority, correct?

Well, ahhh, they're F'd!

Old 03-11-2013, 05:51 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
One of our kids got a 400k mortgage while on unemployment. He had to just show he had the assets to cover it.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Simple three words:

PROOF OF INCOME!

The same words apply toward buying a car, a home, property, an Amex card, etc.

People with solid businesses, incomes and credit, don't have a problem. They not only can document their income, but they have bankers, lawyers, and accountants as verifiers.

Though I suspect, you are thinking more on the MARGINAL side of life, those w/o solid jobs, income and/or credit; and, for whom, freelancing and entrpreneurship is just a cover for not making much money, unemployment, unconventionality, and problems with authority, correct?

Well, ahhh, they're F'd!

>>> it is quite clear you have not started or run a business… or got burned by it and now are hating on others

Old 05-21-2022, 04:55 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,236,669 times
i've been self employed most of my adult life
tax returns were usually more than sufficient
i also showed a landlord a bank statement once
In my first apartment i paid 6 months up front bc the landlord was hesitant

Old 05-21-2022, 06:09 PM

528 posts, read 711,498 times
You'll likely be limited with 2'nd or 3'rd tier rentals and locations. Sadly the stereotype is that self-employed = glorified unemployed.

Old 05-22-2022, 03:42 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
One of our kids got a 400k mortgage while on unemployment. He had to just show he had the assets to cover it.

When I purchased my multifamily in the late 80's I could not get my mortgage approved until
I paid off an unpaid parking ticket and I showed a consistent and unbroken stream of employment
for over 10 years.

Times definitely have changed.
400K is a nice chunk of change for a young man.
Best wishes ............

I guess renting an apartment should be no problem today just showing a bankbook with plenty of capicola in it.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 05-22-2022 at 04:39 AM..

Old 05-22-2022, 03:47 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,926 times
File taxes. 3 years of verifiable income. Your bank statements will show incoming income. To overcome the instability of your jobs make sure your credit is above 700. Also rental history stability. Make sure you dont move around often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: