Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM

13 posts, read 105,603 times

Advertisements

I'll have a four hour layover in New York next week. Are there any windows at LaGuardia with views of Manhattan? When taking off, what are the chances of catching a glimpse of the Empire State Building?

I live in Kansas so it's definitely a big deal to me, haha. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
i only use the N terminal/Airtran Concourse at LaGuardia which looks to the north so the ESB wasn't visible. I don't know about the other terminals. I would imagine the ESB should be seen easily at take off as it's only about 5 miles away but you might have to crane to see it esp if your window isn't facing in the SW direction to see the ESB

Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
If anywhere does, it would be Central Terminal, concourse D, but I don't think you can see Manhattan even there. You might get a sliver of Harlem from some angles, but probably not Midtown. You'll have a good view taking off or landing, though.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterSound View Post
... When taking off, what are the chances of catching a glimpse of the Empire State Building?

I live in Kansas so it's definitely a big deal to me, haha. Thanks for the help!
Here's a flight tracker. Look up your flight number.

LaGuardia Airport (New York, NY) KLGA / LGA Flight Tracker

Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
youd also have to know in what direction youd be taking off in and sometimes the plane makes a circle before heading out. depending on the seat youre in could mean the difference between seeing it totally, having to look out the other row's window or even missing it totally

Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Depends where they route your plane. Sometimes they go straight up the Hudson--great views of Manhattan. Other times, over Brooklyn.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
youd also have to know in what direction youd be taking off in and sometimes the plane makes a circle before heading out. depending on the seat youre in could mean the difference between seeing it totally, having to look out the other row's window or even missing it totally
I once had the most fantastic Manhattan view on a flight from Charleston,S.C. I had a left side window on a smallish plane and it came right up the East River on approach.It seemed like we flying at the same level as some of the buildings.It was early evening so there was still plenty of light but lots of lights were on inside the buildings too, so I could see people inside.The whole thing seemed to happen in slow motion too.It was the perfect seat on a perfect route at a perfect time of day.That's only happened once in my life.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,775 times
Your chances are better on landing than takeoff. If it lands on runway 4, the one pointing northeast, it can lineup over Brooklyn and head into Queens and you will see Manhattan on the left. Even the other way, landing on the same runway (now called 22) but going southwest, they can go up the Hudson and turn around (turning right) over the Bronx before crossing the East River estuary and landing.

On takeoff, your only chance is if they use the perpendicular runway (31) and take off to the northwest and you can see Manhattan going west.
Given the percentages, I'd say you want a left-side seat both ways.

Try this for something more comprehensive:
Which Side of the Plane to Sit for Views of NYC when Landing / Taking Off at LGA - FlyerTalk Forums

Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
It also depends on what the weather will be like at the time that you flying.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Interesting question. I've always been an aisle seat guy so I've never thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City