Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,593 times

Advertisements

Fewer People Are Abandoning the Bronx, Census Data Show

[IMG]http://mobile.nytimes.com/h/Ucndih5oE6gOFUJ7vdXy02Y8agrylPtMTKAtA6tgZPIj6z8drL T0U2XihV4isB8TLwRDDugoZeKy9CzhiQWHaYP5zb26MjOptL7i 4mqWg_Z1TKsGA7D1RzhBbK6hA3UEYfprmG0*.cr[/IMG]
Karsten Moran for The New York Times
Danielle Jackson, a co-founder of the Bronx Documentary Center, moved from Brooklyn to the Bronx in May.

By SAM ROBERTS
Published: March 14, 2013

Danielle Jackson has lived all over New York City since she moved from New Jersey in 1998 to attend New York University. Last May, she moved from Flatbush to the South Bronx, where she co-founded a photography gallery a year earlier.
"My rent was being raised, I wanted a bigger apartment and the commute was killing me," she recalled. Ms. Jackson found a two-bedroom apartment in Mott Haven for $50 less a month than she would have paid for less space had she renewed her lease in Brooklyn.

NYT: More People Moving to Bronx, C

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-22-2013 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,443 times
The Bronx has:

•Great mass transit, well served by both rapid transit and bus lines.

•Parkland, Bronx Park is centrally located. Enormous parks along the northern border, smaller parks scattered throughout. A beach, an internationally renowned zoo and botanical gardens, Yankee Stadium. Bronx River and South Bronx Green ways in the works. Harlem River Green way under planning.

•Density. Such density supports a diversity of amenities. Walkability.

•Diversity, many different kinds of people are represented in the Bronx. Racially, economically, sexually, linguistically, ethnically, religiously diverse.

•Architecture. Art deco, Tudor style, neo modern green architecture, even modern era public housing.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I read this article and it was extremely shoddy journalism, especially for the NYTimes. I know 2 of the people quoted in the article, and they should not have been referenced or included at all (for reasons I do not want to say on here). Needless to say, if you knew these people, they are not people you would want quoted in your article.

Fact checking is kinda important, and there was none of that on the part of the author. Embarassing for the NYTimes.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I read this article and it was extremely shoddy journalism, especially for the NYTimes. I know 2 of the people quoted in the article, and they should not have been referenced or included at all (for reasons I do not want to say on here). Needless to say, if you knew these people, they are not people you would want quoted in your article.

Fact checking is kinda important, and there was none of that on the part of the author. Embarassing for the NYTimes.
Well, the only real point is that the Bronx grew faster 2010-2012 (+1.7%) than the state of New York (+1.0%) and comparably to the nation as a whole (also +1.7%). The people quoted are just filler to make the article more than two lines long, as they are in pretty much any report like this.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
The article was all filler and a waste of time. You would think an article with such a title would have more substance!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,192 times
If I lived on the Grand Concourse I would not leave either. Some of NYC greatest art deco buildings are on the Concourse. Spacious apartments too.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
The Bronx has:

•Great mass transit, well served by both rapid transit and bus lines.

•Parkland, Bronx Park is centrally located. Enormous parks along the northern border, smaller parks scattered throughout. A beach, an internationally renowned zoo and botanical gardens, Yankee Stadium. Bronx River and South Bronx Green ways in the works. Harlem River Green way under planning.

•Density. Such density supports a diversity of amenities. Walkability.

•Diversity, many different kinds of people are represented in the Bronx. Racially, economically, sexually, linguistically, ethnically, religiously diverse.

•Architecture. Art deco, Tudor style, neo modern green architecture, even modern era public housing.
Its in between Manhattan and Westchester, two places one can go to for employment purposes. Another good thing about the Bronx.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Well, the only real point is that the Bronx grew faster 2010-2012 (+1.7%) than the state of New York (+1.0%) and comparably to the nation as a whole (also +1.7%). The people quoted are just filler to make the article more than two lines long, as they are in pretty much any report like this.
The Bronx has grown faster than the state as a whole for every decade since 1980, in the 90s much faster. Still hasn't gotten to 1970 levels. I think the difference is the net-out migration is lower. Previously it was meant up for by children.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
They can't afford to leave, that's why.

Trust, it's not by CHOICE alone.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
They can't afford to leave, that's why.

Trust, it's not by CHOICE alone.
I think this is even more true of the elderly. A young person in his 20s can more easily leave town by just hopping on the next bus out of town, and at that age can endure hardship greater.

An old person who has retired but only has social security income probably isn't going to leave, because they can't afford to. And unlike a much young person, they are too used to having some degree of stability.

Even of younger people, these days unless you have something lined up (a job offer, school, family or friends who will let you stay with them for awhile, considerable savings/assets) its probably not a good idea to just move, unless you want to experience homelessness. I'd say this is true for people around the world.

Also, leaving NYC doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better deal, particularly when you have to factor in increased transportation costs. Minimum wage jobs or close to them will be tight living in any part of the country, and being jobless is all the same everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City