Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,138 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently moved out of my apartment as my lease expired. I left my apartment in a clean condition and also took photographs. I emailed them to my landlord. I also reminded them to review those. But the super wrote a really bad inspection report thereby causing a deduction of 1100. I requested the property manager to review the pictures and also told them the report in incorrect but now they are claiming I took them after the apartment was cleaned. This is ridiculous and illegal. Please provide a way out here.

nike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:28 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
Don't your pictures have a time-stamp on them? If your picture was taken on Tuesday and the apartment was cleaned on Thursday it will be hard to prove that they were taken after the apartment was cleaned.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM

yes the photographs have date and timestamp.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
well then small claims court and there's your evidence.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:11 PM

thank you...can anyone share the small claims court experience please like time it takes to resolve? this will be my first time...

Old 03-22-2013, 01:31 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,885 times
I hope you get your money back OP but this is exactly why I lived out my last month on the security deposit. I knew my SOB landlord would have done everything possible to keep my security deposit when the last month came around. So I never paid the rent for the final month. By the time it takes them to evict you, you will already be out the door. So I took a chance and it paid off.

I'm not sure this will not work for everyone and it might hinder your ability to rent again but the next time you lease is about to run out and you are not going to renew, try living out the last month on the security deposit. If the landlord is demanding his money tell him you are broke and lost your job and can't come up with it.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:56 PM

thanks... i didn't have that option..i had first month, last month and security deposit paid in advance...

Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike5a View Post
thanks... i didn't have that option..i had first month, last month and security deposit paid in advance...
It wasn't an option. I just lived it out and didn't bother giving him the last months rent. He asked for it but he never got it.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
It wasn't an option. I just lived it out and didn't bother giving him the last months rent. He asked for it but he never got it.
This is what I hear of most people doing to avoid getting ripped off, especially if they know they kept the apartment in good condition. How often would a landlord pursue getting that "last month's rent" once you've left if they keep the security deposit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City