Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 PM

237 posts, read 786,431 times

Advertisements

I would like everyone's input on this: I plan to leave it on their door:

I am you downstairs neighbor….

I wanted to write to you about the noise issue we’ve been experiencing since we moved in.

I realize it’s not your fault, I don’t think you are doing anything intentionally to be loud, but there seems to be no soundproofing between your floor and my ceiling (which is again not your fault)…and your floor squeaks very loud. I never lived in an apartment where I could hear every footstep of the people above me. During the day I can expect to hear some noise but late at night is a different story.

I have to be up early for work during the week and there have been nights where the walking and squeaky floor wakes me up out of a dead sleep, and it’s usually late at night (11PM and later). I go to bed around 9. Also my boyfriend works nights, so he needs to sleep during the day, but I realize you need to walk in your home, and he sleeps more soundly than I do.

It seems your living room is right above my bedroom, so I hear everything.

I am very sorry to have to leave this note. I don’t plan on living here long due to this noise issue, probably less than a year, but I do need my sleep while I live here and was wondering if the late night walking around could be kept to a minimum since it transmits very loudly into my apartment. I have been sleeping with earplugs which don't help much.

Again, I know this is not your fault and I don’t mean to sound confrontational, but I just need my sleep so I can work, and want to be able to enjoy peace in my (temporary) home.

My apologies, and hope we can work together on this. and of course, if I ever do anything to disturb you let me know.

Sound good? I am trying to be nice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Sounds like a nightmare

Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 AM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Your neighbors reply:

It's good to know your noise issue is not our fault. I hope you can find the ones who are
responsible for your problem and resolve it. We know you are not trying to blame us for
your unfortunate situation with this note. So, we sincerely hope you find a nice quiet place
to move ASAP. Peace!

Seriously, you are way to sensitive to live in a city like NY if your neighbor just walking around at
night bothers you when you sleeping with earplugs. Maybe you need better earplugs because not
even July 4th fireworks bothers me when I wear my earplugs.

I know you don't want to sound confrontational, but your note sounded kind of fake by keep mentioning
" It's not your fault", but then your whole point was your neighbors fault, and blaming them for making
your life miserable that you wanted to move ASAP due to their noise issue.

If it was me, I would remove the "not your fault" line from your note after the first time you used it.
There is no need to keep repeating it. And I would not say I don't plan to live there long due to the
noise issue from upstairs. That's guilt triping and will probably annoy your neighbors. Plus once they
know you are not staying for long, they might not even care about your complaint. Since you'll be
gone soon anyway. I guess the other parts of the note are okay. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I would leave a note politely asking your upstairs neighbors to try to make less noise after 11PM until 6AM.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
After you deliver the note, get ready for a few nights of FLAMENCO.

I would not send it. After all squeaky, presumably wooden, floors squeak because of WEIGHT and there is nothing that can be done about that.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM

48 posts, read 132,372 times
This is always such a touchy situation. Most times the regular walking and just living, is bothersome to another tenant below.... It would help if they had area rugs.

I think more LL's should really enforce the area rug thing, obviously easier said than done, but it really helps to muffle the sounds.

I have the boy next door to my bedroom, closing closet doors, drawers, walking back and forth. i have told him several times, please try to keep it down after 10, he is always appologetic, but at 18, I'm sure he is forgetful.. most times i let it go, he is a nice boy, and as an adult with a brain, i know he isn't doing anything really wrong, the kid is just living...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Yea, I wrote the note last night and didn't leave it yet...I have been going back and forth about whether or not to do it.

I kept saying it's not their fault because I KNOW they are just walking around, but it is disturbing my sleep and affecting me. Should I just endure this? I never experienced anything like it before. I have lived in many apartments too. It's truly a nightmare.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Don't send the note. I received a similar note from a downstairs neighbor. The note said many of the same things, except it was worded much more strangely. She actually told me to get in bed at midnight and stay in bed, so she could sleep without having to hear me walk around. I am a quiet apartment dweller -- I know I am -- and I was not very happy to be told when I could walk around my own apartment. I also hear the people above me, and they wake up about 4 hours before I do for work. I do not go up there and tell them not to get ready for work in their own bedroom! That would be insane. I did think once about asking them not to put their shoes on until they are ready to go out the door, but I felt even that was too much so I never did it.

Here are some things you can do. One is to sleep in your living room, since the noise is mainly in the bedroom (as you indicated). The other thing is you can use earplugs AND a white noise machine, right next to your head. This combination is amazing for drowning out footstep noise when you're trying to sleep.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Don't send the note. I received a similar note from a downstairs neighbor. The note said many of the same things, except it was worded much more strangely. She actually told me to get in bed at midnight and stay in bed, so she could sleep without having to hear me walk around. I am a quiet apartment dweller -- I know I am -- and I was not very happy to be told when I could walk around my own apartment. I also hear the people above me, and they wake up about 4 hours before I do for work. I do not go up there and tell them not to get ready for work in their own bedroom! That would be insane. I did think once about asking them not to put their shoes on until they are ready to go out the door, but I felt even that was too much so I never did it.

Here are some things you can do. One is to sleep in your living room, since the noise is mainly in the bedroom (as you indicated). The other thing is you can use earplugs AND a white noise machine, right next to your head. This combination is amazing for drowning out footstep noise when you're trying to sleep.
Yes you know what, I did that last night and it seemed to work really good. I guess I can do that until I can move.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
OP, what kind of building are you living in? Most condos are fairly new with concrete floor and should not squeak at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: