Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Actually I can relate. Certain exchanges for your land line in the Rockaways are very hard to come by such as 471, 327, 318. When I moved "down the beach" as we call it, I had to have a 318 exchange and I was very persistent about getting it.

Verizon gives out 337 and 634 like candy however...it's representative of where you live.
Boy, I must be out of it! I don't have those numbers, and don't know anyone who does. If I received a call from one of those exchanges, I'd be like wtf!?

To me the above makes 212 and 718, as well as 347 more relevant, and s/b further restricted.

It is not really a phone company mess, but a seemingly right intervention of government.

Some may recall when Verizon had exclusive use of 212 and 718, etc., and those who sought to utilize another carrier, but wanted to retain their existing phone number could not.

Government law forced Verizon to allow phone numbers to travel with individuals to other carriers. Theoretically, one might never have to change their phone number, but could change carriers any number of times.

It would seem that having Vonage use 212 exchanges is simply an extension of what is allowed other carriers, reducing a barrier to competition.

Of course, there is always a matter of unintended consequences....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why anyone would give a rats azz about a zip code number is beyond me, doesnt anyone have better things to think about that 212?
Why is there such a propensity in this NEW YORK CITY forum to think within such a narrow *personal* viewpoint; as if your life and existence is commensurate to ALL of NYC!

There are LOTS of reasons to covent a 212 area code, none of which are silly, nor have anything to do with personal vanity; AND, a lot to do with business and professional perception!

For example, there are differences in a 212 located attorney/professional, and a 718 attorney (particularly re Bronx or Staten Island).

Would you want a Bronx attorney or a Manhattan attorney or professional? If you are a Manhattan attorney or professional and want to profit from the cache of a Manhattan business location, 212 is important.

Presenting yourself with any level or sort of sophistication, 212 is superior. The overall perception being that the truly successful and accomplished are associated with Manhattan, and 212 is associated with Manhattan.

To be blunt, it suggests competency, if one can afford Manhattan (office/personal) rents, then one must have some level of competancy, business or professional wise; or, so it is often perceived.

Example, I frequent a hospital in Manhattan. Several weeks ago, I got a call from the hospital, but from a 718 area code. I was immediately perplexed. I rarely get 718 calls, and the ones I do get are personal and immediately recognizable. I do not get business calls, save a couple of local doctors. So, I'm like what the hey, and let it go to voicemail.

Later, I check, and it appears to be from the hospital. I call and immediately ask for an explanation of the 718 area code. Apparently, the hospital office is in Manhattan, but now using a 718 area code due to a switch in phone systems due to a merger of facilities.

Rather confusing, a major Manhattan Hospital with dual area codes, some depts with 212 and others with 718. Stupid!

They ought to get the area code changed back to 212!!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Why is there such a propensity in this NEW YORK CITY forum to think within such a narrow *personal* viewpoint; as if your life and existence is commensurate to ALL of NYC!

There are LOTS of reasons to covent a 212 area code, none of which are silly, nor have anything to do with personal vanity; AND, a lot to do with business and professional perception!

For example, there are differences in a 212 located attorney/professional, and a 718 attorney (particularly re Bronx or Staten Island).

Would you want a Bronx attorney or a Manhattan attorney or professional? If you are a Manhattan attorney or professional and want to profit from the cache of a Manhattan business location, 212 is important.

Presenting yourself with any level or sort of sophistication, 212 is superior. The overall perception being that the truly successful and accomplished are associated with Manhattan, and 212 is associated with Manhattan.

To be blunt, it suggests competency, if one can afford Manhattan (office/personal) rents, then one must have some level of competancy, business or professional wise; or, so it is often perceived.

Example, I frequent a hospital in Manhattan. Several weeks ago, I got a call from the hospital, but from a 718 area code. I was immediately perplexed. I rarely get 718 calls, and the ones I do get are personal and immediately recognizable. I do not get business calls, save a couple of local doctors. So, I'm like what the hey, and let it go to voicemail.

Later, I check, and it appears to be from the hospital. I call and immediately ask for an explanation of the 718 area code. Apparently, the hospital office is in Manhattan, but now using a 718 area code due to a switch in phone systems due to a merger of facilities.

Rather confusing, a major Manhattan Hospital with dual area codes, some depts with 212 and others with 718. Stupid!

They ought to get the area code changed back to 212!!

LOL, your kidding me, superior??? it is a number.

I am not even going to address the complete nonsense that you just rambled on.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 AM

364 posts, read 708,494 times
Area codes are irrelevant. I have a 323 area code (that's California by the way) on my Google Voice for work, nobody seems to care.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Last time I had a 212 area code was 3 decades ago. I had to give up 212 and took 718 instead. Now, they are giving 212 to NON New Yorkers. No way. I want my 212 back.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
Area codes are irrelevant. I have a 323 area code (that's California by the way) on my Google Voice for work, nobody seems to care.

Thank you, finally some one with sense.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM

249 posts, read 424,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Thank you, finally some one with sense.

Hey, I said that back on page 1!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
Hey, I said that back on page 1!

Yay, more people with sense...yay !!
thank you for pointing that out, I stand corrected
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City