Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times

Advertisements

Developers asked to think really big in the Bronx

Quote:
The Bloomberg administration has been known to push the envelope when it comes to affordable housing. It has done everything from promote green buildings to those using modular construction and creative financing. Now with one of the last big swathes of developable land in the South Bronx, City Hall has torn up the envelope entirely. The administration is inviting developers to come up with almost anything imaginable for two parcels located near The Hub in the Melrose section.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...oreUserAgent=1

This one will be very significant. We could see another Via Verde or two. Combine this with the large adjacent lot where the 2/5 trains descend into a subway. Transformative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post

This one will be very significant. We could see another Via Verde or two. Combine this with the large adjacent lot where the 2/5 trains descend into a subway. Transformative.
You forgot to add this article from Crains, Kiddo. Its about the pending redevelopment of Webster Avenue, pushed by Fordham University, New York Botantical Garden, Montifore Medical Center,and the Bronx Zoo. The developments will have a business incubator, mixed housing, retails, and other things.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130409916

Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You forgot to add this article from Crains, Kiddo. Its about the pending redevelopment of Webster Avenue, pushed by Fordham University, New York Botantical Garden, Montifore Medical Center,and the Bronx Zoo. The developments will have a business incubator, mixed housing, retails, and other things.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130409916
Sometimes I think writerdude and kiddo are the same posters.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 AM

579 posts, read 945,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I guess it's a problem for some but not for others.When I made the decision to leave Williamsburg a few years ago I had no problem skipping over Harlem and the South Bronx and buying further north in The Bronx.I looked,believe me but in the end,for me,day to day quality of life trumped a shorter trip to midtown.And I am the sort of person who is probably considered a "gentrifier" in The Bx.I am a non native,white,professional with a high enough income to live in pretty much any neighborhood in the city.

I'll leave you guys to hypothesize on who you think might do what but I am one who actually made the decision.I think the OP of this thread is one who made a similar decision for similar reasons,to move from Chelsea to Bedford Park.Co ops in my building are now selling almost exclusively to higher income people from Brooklyn and Manhattan.This is not speculation,it's what is happening.
Yes, I did. And I am a gay white man who could afford to live anywhere.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A white working class New Yorker has what is called white privilege. There is no real difference between them any other other whites.

A friend of mine is a white guy from the North Bronx who has two engineering degrees from Cornell (BS and MS) Got a great job out of college and is now living the good life in NJ. I've met other native whites from NJ, of all religions and ethnicities at Cornell. Many of the blacks there were African and Caribbean, and a good portion of the Black Americans from there where Southern Blacks.

Any job or career path in the city that pays well or has the potential to play well will disproportionately have whites and it doesn't matter if they were born in NYC or not. It doesn't matter if they are Catholic, Jewish, or Protestant.

For the three years I worked in banking, particularly in operations, the majority of people I saw working were white. Few blacks had banker jobs or any jobs with a title. The majority of blacks I did see where janitors and receptionists and the like.

So I wouldn't go out and say Black New Yorkers have much in common with white New Yorkers. White New Yorkers are likely to have the same privileges as any other whites.
How do you figure that 'Joe the white plumber' gets fancy banker jobs with nice titles, just for being white?

The guy from the Bronx who got an engineering job, did so because he has two engineering degrees from Cornell, one of which is a Masters. He didn't get the engineering job for being white. He got it because of the advanced degrees from a well-kown university that were in Engineering.

Maybe it's a confusion over what 'working class' is. It's people who have jobs like plumbers, auto mechanics, on and on.

People with advanced MBA degrees and advanced Engineering degrees are part of the 'professional' class or 'yuppies' and whatnot. They aren't the same people.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I know it was never a bad area.That's why the QOL is so much better than most of Harlem and The S Bx and that's why I decided to move here.There has been a change though.The "never considered bad" areas of The Bx are experiencing the beginnings of an influx of non NYC native,white professionals....people who would not have even considered The Bx 10 or 20 years ago.Don't discount it just because they aren't immediately going to the"ghetto" areas.

If you are asking if I live in Brady Court,the answer is no, though it does seem like a nice place.Too family oriented for me though.

I'm on the North Side of the neighborhood on Bronx Park East.

Wouldn't a area have to be on the downswing in order to be considered getting "Gentrified". For instance I know where the op is from. I think the term gentrified would be more appropriate where he's from. For instance take a look at the few blocks where the ClockTower Lofts are along the Bruckner. The crowd that used to hang in the Bruckner Bar. That was a albeit a very small piece it was some sort of change. When I was living in Riverdale there was constant professionals moving in. I wouldn't consider that gentrification though.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Bronx’s Webster Avenue to get a new look

NYC EDC 2013 | Webster Avenue Bronx
Is there any public investment for this? Is the "new look" simply due to the zoning change, or is there public money going into streetscape improvements? Again, I am not a fan of this plan. I don't yet see how it will attract development that will benefit the community. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Is there any public investment for this? Is the "new look" simply due to the zoning change, or is there public money going into streetscape improvements? Again, I am not a fan of this plan. I don't yet see how it will attract development that will benefit the community. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

I don;t mind it but only if it incorporates more tech start ups

Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Concerning Bronx gentrification - it's happening slowly, and not just in the south Bronx. High prices in the rest of the city play a part of course, but there are neighborhoods with "good bones" - attractive architecture, good public transportation access, mature plantings and great open space.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Yodel, So if a professional moves onto Palisade Ave in Riverdale into let's say La Rive coop building. That's a form of gentrification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City