Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 76,450 times

Advertisements

I am going to move in a few months and I'm thinking of trying a new area of NYC. I currently live in Astoria, which is okay but me and my boyfriend don't really love our apartment or neighborhood that much anymore. We would really love to get a 2 bedroom so that we could both work in it but it's not a necessity of course. Even though I grew up in New York Im not so familiar with the different areas in Brooklyn, Queens and am also considering Harlem ( where are the safe streets?) and would love to know where we would have the most luck. A lot of my friends live in different parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn and they have told me horror stories that go along with having a cheaper apartment, they had gotten such good deals and apparently they have been harrassed, gotten things thrown at them for being white or looking white in their particular neighborhood. I obviously don't want to put myself in that situation and it saddens me that there is that type of discrimination towards any group of people but unfortunately, that's the way it is. Any tips or neighborhoods that people have had experience with please let me know. Right now we are paying $1200 for a 1 bedroom but of course would love to go cheaper but will also go higher for a 2 bedroom or even a 1 bedroom that is nice.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 PM

491 posts, read 829,101 times
I think your already in the best area however check out Williamsburg on the Greenpoint border (Lormer St stop on the L train) Its like the East Villiage in the 60's.

Washington Heights is making quite a comeback up by 168 street, reminds me of Knickerbocker ave in early 60's with all the mom and pop stores, cheap bran name sneakers.

Oh even better, Fresh Meadows if you dont need the subway
Joe

Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 17,849 times
Default prospect heights, above the park

check out prospect heights. i moved here about three years ago when it was dumpy. now what i like to call operation snowflake is taking place. rent prices are decent, and many places (like bars and restaurants) are popping up constantly. my neighborhood has changed a great deal.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:34 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
$1200 for a 1BR in Astoria? 1996 a 2BR around there was $650. I have lived in over 10 different neighborhoods in Queens/Bronx and I would say for a nice cheap/safe compromise I would say you are already in the best neighborhood. I guess it aint so cheap anymore in 2007. There really is nothing that cheap in the outer boroughs it is all oversold and over priced. You may be able to trade in some safety for some cash but when you are on the street laying in a pool of your own bodily fluids after some stick up kid takes your wallet/pistol whips you is it really worth the $100 off the rent?

Old 01-09-2007, 06:38 PM

48 posts, read 461,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
$1200 for a 1BR in Astoria? 1996 a 2BR around there was $650. I have lived in over 10 different neighborhoods in Queens/Bronx and I would say for a nice cheap/safe compromise I would say you are already in the best neighborhood. I guess it aint so cheap anymore in 2007. There really is nothing that cheap in the outer boroughs it is all oversold and over priced. You may be able to trade in some safety for some cash but when you are on the street laying in a pool of your own bodily fluids after some stick up kid takes your wallet/pistol whips you is it really worth the $100 off the rent?

How many people have been robbed and left in their own pot of blood in the past year? While I was in college, I knew a white girl who rented an apartment in East New York in early 2000's. She's still alive. You must stand up for yourself and stay your ground. People will always take adventage of you if you don't stand up for yourself. When I was in Junior HS, kids used to pick on me because I was an Immigrant, did'nt have nice cloth etc. But it only made me stronger and into a better person. We cannot live in a bubble all our lives. A stick up kid can easily hop on the subway and rob anyone in any neighborhood, this is New York after all. Logic should tell you that the easy preys are in the so called good neighbohoods.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM

I understand what you are saying and there are many people who would definitely agree with you, it's just that I hate my apartment..for many, many reasons and personally even though I think the neighborhood is really safe I just don't like the restaurants, stores, etc. (I live off Broadway). Im not much of a cook and im sick of just pizza, greek, pizza, greek...

I also think that we are just looking for a change. Of course I want to be safe, no doubt. Im not going to move somewhere where I don't feel safe. Plus, crazy things happen in the supposed safe neighborhoods too. I also don't want to stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 AM

Is that considered to be the Bronx?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,974 times
i just got into state with my two children and right now im staying with a friend in maryland i want to get my own place but i dont know which state or area to go. I want were is close to schools,shopping mall

Old 04-21-2013, 07:50 AM

44 posts, read 142,542 times
This board should really consider locking old threads.

Poster above, you would be better served starting a new thread as opposed to answering one from 2007. Moreover, if you really want help, people here are willing to provide it--but you have to offer up more than a vague, un-punctuated run-on sentence that offers no specific information to us.

Give us some details of what you're looking for and your situation, and someone may feel inclined to offer advice.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanus_superbus View Post
This board should really consider locking old threads.

Not a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City