Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times

Advertisements

It's happening now. Or so I am confident it is.

The next gentrification wave is starting to hit, and it's coming to Harlem's Hamilton Heights finally, most specifically the Sugar Hill section.

The most obvious part of Sugar Hill getting ready for the explosion is Broadway from 147 to 150 Streets. Since the Columbia University tower is just starting to go up, landlords have cleared the way for new businesses catering to a different demographic to enter into the neighborhood. It seems like every week a new space goes up for lease--and I'm confident this is due to the landlord increasing the super low rents and forcing the businesses out.

Already this strip of Broadway has seen the Chipped Cup, Harlem Public, an organic juice store (although kind of a failed attempt at an upscale vibe, and an "upscale--sorta" Papasito grocery store on the west side of Broadway. Although that last attempt is kind of tragic, since it seems to be confused between a franchise, a higher demographic branding and a ghetto supermarket--so we'll see.

I see a ton of gays in the neighborhood, as well as increased mix and shifts of other demographic populations far from the historic neighborhood mix--like Asians, Caucasians, and more Europeans.

Is this good or bad for the area's future? Many would argue good, but this specific part of Hamilton Heights has been pretty quiet due to the Dominican and Latino lower to middle class families settled there for years. They'll be pushed out and where do they go....?

Thus is the story of gentrification ....

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 04-13-2013 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: change title--mis-spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

The next gentrification wave is starting to hit, and it's coming to Harlem's Hamilton Heights finally, most specifically the Sugar Hill section.

The most obvious part of Sugar Hill getting ready for the explosion is Broadway from 147 to 150 Streets. Since the Columbia University tower is just starting to go up, landlords have cleared the way for new businesses catering to a different demographic to enter into the neighborhood. It seems like every week a new space goes up for lease--and I'm confident this is due to the landlord increasing the super low rents and forcing the businesses out.

Already this strip of Broadway has seen the Chipped Cup, Harlem Public, an organic juice store (although kind of a failed attempt at an upscale vibe, and an "upscale--sorta" Papasito grocery store on the west side of Broadway. Although that last attempt is kind of tragic, since it seems to be confused between a franchise, a higher demographic branding and a ghetto supermarket--so we'll see.

I see a ton of gays in the neighborhood, as well as increased mix and shifts of other demographic populations far from the historic neighborhood mix--like Asians, Caucasians, and more Europeans.

Is this good or bad for the area's future? Many would argue good, but this specific part of Hamilton Heights has been pretty quiet due to the Dominican and Latino lower to middle class families settled there for years. They'll be pushed out and where do they go....?

They will go like where my parents went. My family left the Heights in 79. No one ethnic group has a personal license to a neighborhood.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
They will go like where my parents went. My family left the Heights in 79. No one ethnic group has a personal license to a neighborhood.
I agree. The city is constantly changing. New people come and others leave. It is usuallu driven by economic and social forces. When I was growing up, living in the city was not the preferred situation for families. Once you had children, you moved to the suburbs for the "better life". Now that view is changing. The suburbs while certainly nice are not the safe havens they were once belived to be. Now urban living is becoming a viable alternative. That is one of the reasons behind the gentrification of several neighborhoods in NYC.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 AM

39 posts, read 68,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I agree. The city is constantly changing. New people come and others leave. It is usuallu driven by economic and social forces. When I was growing up, living in the city was not the preferred situation for families. Once you had children, you moved to the suburbs for the "better life". Now that view is changing. The suburbs while certainly nice are not the safe havens they were once belived to be. Now urban living is becoming a viable alternative. That is one of the reasons behind the gentrification of several neighborhoods in NYC.
No middle class parent is leaving Westchester or Long Island to raise their kids in the ghetto streets of Harlem. Not gonna happen. The young Omahanians, Oklahomians, Iowans, Ohioans and Idahoans that move to NYC tend to be the cynical atheist types that call people "breeders" and wont have kids because the world is "already overpopulated". I know from experience, trust me. Once they've had their fun, it's back to mommy and daddy's house in Billings. This isn't always the case, of course, but I still doubt they'd be raising their children in the hood.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
How can a Landlord just "clear the way" ? Their commercial tenants usually have pretty long leases, and their residential tenants have right to renewal, and I am guess they have stabilized rents, and are pretty low too.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:56 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

I find that line funny because we all know that all gays have money and good taste. None of them are poor. You know all those gay people with their hoity-toity art galleries, gourmet cuisine, season tickets for the ballet, and full priced tickets for the latest Broadway musical extravaganza. Who knew back in the day that Charlie the tuna fish was gay.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How can a Landlord just "clear the way" ? Their commercial tenants usually have pretty long leases, and their residential tenants have right to renewal, and I am guess they have stabilized rents, and are pretty low too.
A lot of 30-year commercial leases signed in the doldrums of the 1980s, when retail landlords were desperate for tenants and offering comically low rents, are coming up for renewal right around now. Not just in Sugar Hill/Hamilton Heights, but all over the city.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I find that line funny because we all know that all gays have money and good taste. None of them are poor. You know all those gay people with their hoity-toity art galleries, gourmet cuisine, season tickets for the ballet, and full priced tickets for the latest Broadway musical extravaganza. Who knew back in the day that Charlie the tuna fish was gay.
All gays have money and good taste? That is a bit of an exageration. Many do but not all. What makes these "undiscovered" neighborhoods appealing to gays is usually something that others do not value like art deco or art moderne style or being able to get to the arts centers fairly easily. Since marriage and children have only recently been a reality for gays, school quality was not always a major concern. Also most gays understand the benefits of diversity. I don't think it's necessarily a money thing. I'm gay and I know that I and many of my fellow friends of Dorothy see the value of things differently than our straight brethren.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
All gays have money and good taste? That is a bit of an exageration. Many do but not all. What makes these "undiscovered" neighborhoods appealing to gays is usually something that others do not value like art deco or art moderne style or being able to get to the arts centers fairly easily. Since marriage and children have only recently been a reality for gays, school quality was not always a major concern. Also most gays understand the benefits of diversity. I don't think it's necessarily a money thing. I'm gay and I know that I and many of my fellow friends of Dorothy see the value of things differently than our straight brethren.
Affordability also makes neighborhoods attractive to gays. With places like Chelsea and the West Village simply being out of reach for gays (or anyone else) who isn't high income, neighborhoods uptown, the outer boroughs, and the Bronx are now much more in demand.

Truthfully, with one bedrooms in Spanish Harlem going for $2400, all over Harlem is getting pretty expensive (Whole Foods is coming). Washington Heights is almost there, particularly with Columbia's expansion in Harlem and Washington Heights.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
The young Omahanians, Oklahomians, Iowans, Ohioans and Idahoans that move to NYC tend to be the cynical atheist types that call people "breeders" and wont have kids because the world is "already overpopulated". I know from experience, trust me. Once they've had their fun, it's back to mommy and daddy's house in Billings. This isn't always the case, of course, but I still doubt they'd be raising their children in the hood.
Very true. It is just an unquestioned belief in these circles that "you can't raise kids here unless you get rich." So the ones who get rich raise their kids in Manhattan or Park Slope. The rest leave. It doesn't occur to anyone to move to an uncool, safe neighborhood in Queens with decent schools. They would rather leave the city if not the metro area altogether. I don't really understand why this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City