Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM

40 posts, read 72,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
It's sad to say it but, 9 out of 10 times when a family that's economically insufficient, their mindset is different. Meaning when they move into the neighborhood (or let's just say a certain building to be more specific) things start to happen. You start to notice the cops in front of their door because someone called/drama comes. Who wants to be around that when you know it's inevitable?

Secondly when you say "because they are getting pushed out" I'm sorry but who's fault is that, really? They can no longer afford X area so they are moving. It happens with everyone regardless of race. I also question, at what point should people take responsibility for self? You want to live in a premium area, yet you don't have the money? So you want the government and the public to "help you out" so that you can stay in an area you can't afford? AND you still don't want to find a job??? BYE!

I'll say this each and every time, the information age (our present time and most likely future) will be segregated ONLY BY CLASS. Not race. I know first hand this is true. People don't care about your skin color as much as before. It's about how you carry yourself and if you're in the same class as everyone else.

I'm standing firm when I say Blacks are still the most racist in this country. Some of their mentalities are screwed and until they realize their biggest threat is themselves, they'll be lost forever.
Ah yes! America is post racial. No more racism...Oh wait, what's that? A couple of FDNY employees making derogatory statements about blacks on twitter? What? When?! And some NYPD cops go on facebook and make nasty racist comments about the parade goers at the West Indian Labor Day Parade in 2010? How is this possible?

So because of the actions from some in the NYPD and FDNY, and because of some videos I saw on youtube showing cops abusing their authority including one officer body slamming an unarmed teen in Sunset Park where the teen did nothing to provoke such action (search it on youtube), I'm going to conclude that NYPD officers and firefighters are the most racist in the country. I know because I saw it on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 04:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, do you have a learning disability?

Reese's husband was driving down the wrong lane and stopped by officiers. If this is true, he could have killed someone or gotten killed himself. Ms. Witherspoon, had she stayed inside her vehicle, would not have been arrested.

So basically, she made a bad situation worse. If you can avoid trouble, then you need to avoid it. Police officiers will always be around as the society has decided we need law enforcement. Act out like an idiot and you even risk getting yourself killed, for something STUPID!

if a cop does something inappropriate to you, file the relevant complaints and get yourself a lawyer.

Do keep in mind officers at times deal with homicidal people, so if you're acting like a total crazy, the officer may pull the trigger on you and kill you. And get away with it, if it is apparent self defense.

And you can go on and on about how angry you about about cops and the system, it changes nothing.
I can't rep you again! ^^^Thank you.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandslap View Post
Ah yes! America is post racial. No more racism...Oh wait, what's that? A couple of FDNY employees making derogatory statements about blacks on twitter? What? When?! And some NYPD cops go on facebook and make nasty racist comments about the parade goers at the West Indian Labor Day Parade in 2010? How is this possible?

So because of the actions from some in the NYPD and FDNY, and because of some videos I saw on youtube showing cops abusing their authority including one officer body slamming an unarmed teen in Sunset Park where the teen did nothing to provoke such action (search it on youtube), I'm going to conclude that NYPD officers and firefighters are the most racist in the country. I know because I saw it on the internet.
I believe that poster meant only mindsets, beliefs that people of one race or another share essential characteristics. At least that's the way I read it.

Acting on such, and/or those who are in a position to do so - another story.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
So can you calmly express how annoyed you are in the presence of a cop?
You can't obstruct justice.

The time to express your opinion is not when an officer is arresting someone else. This goes for ANYBODY. As a black man, you should not ever give a (potentially racist) officer any excuse to mistreat you. If you are innocently targeted, than you handle it like NyWriterDude suggested, and if the incident is significant enough, you work to bring media attention to the matter. (And the AA community can empower itself by supporting black newspapers, and funding scholarships for AA journalism students.)

Regarding Witherspoon, as the article noted, this could be a PR nightmare for her and could damage her career. Why? Because public opinion overwhelmingly considers this type of behavior unacceptable. It doesn't matter who you are, this type of behavior can, and will, have consequences.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I believe that poster meant only mindsets, beliefs that people of one race or another share essential characteristics. At least that's the way I read it.

Acting on such, and/or those who are in a position to do so - another story.
Precisely.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
monkey ass hoe, they shuda slapped the taste out her mouth

Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
monkey ass hoe, they shuda slapped the taste out her mouth
Stated the self-proclaimed "North Jerz" resident who would therefore not be involved in the resulting big pay-out.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
So can you calmly express how annoyed you are in the presence of a cop?
To tell you the truth, you don't really have to express anything to a cop. If the cop doesn't listen to you when you say you didn't do it, well, the cop is not the judge.

So just go in, get yourself a lawyer and get ready for court. Make your complaints to the police department and/or other government agencies (depending on the circumstances). If what the cops did was BS, it will be dismissed by a judge. Depending on the circumstances you can sue. So why would any sane person waste their time arguing with a cop?

Put this in a different light. Cursing out a cop will not change anything. You just look like a moron. If the cop really did something wrong, complaining to the proper authorities and/or suing will change something. The cop would get reprimanded and fired. By mouthing off on a cop, you are likely to have consequences, which you really don't want to have.

Two cops in the East Village a few years back raped a drunk woman. She filed complaints and sued the city. The cops lost their jobs after they were found guilty. The cops had consequences due to legal actions, not by mouthing off. That's really how you deal with cops.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Malcolm X once said profanity is for feeble minds that can't articulate themselves.

I think he has a point. When poor ghetto people scream like mental hospital patients, it means they don't have the interpersonal skills or communications skills to handle things.

If a cop behaves inappropriately towards you, there are proper channels that one may deal with said inappropriate behavior. If you just act like imbeciles like the people in that video, it means you don't have the sense to use those channels (the courts and the legal system, the media, contacting politicians and activists, etc.)

Old 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times
It's very interesting that this is the second incident with the black community in BK has had with the police in about a month. Whether both incidents are isolated or something is brewing in the air...who know?!

As far as this incident, on one hand, it's not so far offbase to see a community defend one of their own, even if that person is in the wrong, for the sake of solidarity; on the other hand, it's a little hard, for me, to believe that people would get that riled up if someone was NOT being falsely arrested. Now, for Sheniqua, I'm sure she got enough common sense to know you do not interfere with an arrest. I didn't see her reaction as violent as some posters say, just very loud and passionate about what she sees an unjust act. Which is perfectly cool, but do that stuff a good distance away from the NYPD. That is just basics when dealing with the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City