Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

jd,

There is a LITTLE self limiting of the size of these waiting lists. When they get too big they close.

But yeah, to find out where you stand will cost you an irrevocable $50. But if it takes 10 of these ($500) to get you the bargain of a lifetime, it's worth it.

Back in the dark ages, perhaps the early 80's, maybe earlier, the City published a beautiful glossy magazine with each Mitchell Lama getting a full page with everything you wanted to know, where to write, what to send. All it cost to get this magazine was the cost of a postcard. I of course sent the postcard.

So many of them seemed terrific but the thought of waiting 5 or 10 years seemed so far away and the front money for a huge pile of applications seemed daunting.
So then 30 years have passed and I can tell you that by not sending any of them in I did perhaps the dumbest thing of my entire life.

Rememer one thing: TIME PASSES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 AM

216 posts, read 372,924 times
I was looking at this and all the ones I wanted to apply to the waiting list were closed? Does anyone know how often the waiting list opens up? Also which is better a coop or rental? Just curious to see people's opinions. I am leaning to coop because eventually you may earn some equity in the building.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:21 PM

11 posts, read 48,238 times
It depends. From past forum I was informed every 5 years the waiting list opens. Keep checking the nyc.gov website and contact the management office and asks them when is the waiting list open period available for application.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM

11 posts, read 48,238 times
Just want to keep you up to date.. I received my letter from Trinity House and I will be on the waiting list. ..... Another 8-10 years. I am debating if I should submit my application fee. The waiting list number is 111. I have untile June 21 to submit the application.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
I was looking at this and all the ones I wanted to apply to the waiting list were closed? Does anyone know how often the waiting list opens up? Also which is better a coop or rental? Just curious to see people's opinions. I am leaning to coop because eventually you may earn some equity in the building.

It's more than just equity buildup.
A Mitchell Lama building can be bought out of the program by paying off all governmental mortgages after 25 years, and almost all of them have passed this mark already. A landlord may be VERY tempted to do this whereas to do it with a coop requires several votes by the cooperators to take themselves private.

Of course, in a rental, the valuable price appreciation of apartments goes solely to the landlord. In a coop buyout, every shareholder gets to own or sell his vastly appreciated private co-operative apartment.

So, a Mitchell Lama co-op is a far more valuable commodity than a
rental apartment.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
So you mail them a postcard with what type of information on it?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett2 View Post
Thanks. I am going to submit the postcard and keep my fingers cross.

use a regular post card from the post office-- it comes with a stamp and looks a little better than your idea of an index card/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City