Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,452 times

Advertisements

Hi i am new to the board. Can anyone tell me if the prices for Coops will drop next year ? I am looking to purchase a coop in brooklyn midwoon area. Asking price is 197K. Is that reasonable for this neighborhood ? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
If anyone had a crystal ball for the real estate market, I think we would know that by now. If anyone DOES tell you YES or NO, be aware this is their opinion only on an anonymous board. Are you really going to trust someone who says they know such a thing? I wouldn't.

You can check past sale prices of coops in that area by going on propertyshark.com.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
You didn't say how big the place was, either...it's hard to know whether something is reasonable without any description of the property.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,452 times
The property is well renovated with all new appliances. Its arount 850 sq feet.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 AM

Again, very little information: is it pre-war, post-war? one bedroom? Studio? Impossible to say with the information you've provided.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 AM

another extremely important detail is the monthly maintenance. If it's on the high side, the asking price usually has to drop to compensate for this. Also, I know that in my neighborhood, the value of a coop depends greatly on the particular building it's in. Some well-cared for buildings with nice reserve funds and maintenance charges that don't go up every year are going to be valued higher than the opposite kind of building.

Buying a coop is a complicated business. The value of it is not always clear until your lawyer starts digging into the building finances and info provided by the managing agent. however, that said, a quick look at recent sales in the building should tell you what people have been paying during the past 3 years. This info should help you significantly.

Just to make sure - you do know the difference between a coop and a condo?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:09 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
As was said, one may want to be aware of the coop's finances. Also, if a coop allows you to put down less than 10%, you may want to question it. Most coops want 20% (some want 30%), and a <10% down may mean the coop needs units filled or its finances may be a problem. I'm not saying don't buy it, but at least question it!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:04 AM

Some Manhattan co-ops don't allow mortages at all...It varies, from building to building. Your attorney needs to have someone pore over the minutes of the board meetings to really sort out what's going on in a building.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Some Manhattan co-ops don't allow mortages at all...It varies, from building to building. Your attorney needs to have someone pore over the minutes of the board meetings to really sort out what's going on in a building.
That's funny, I always assumed when a coop wouldn't allow a mortgage that was a bad sign that the coop was in bad financial health - meaning that they knew a bank wouldn't give a mortgage to someone buying in that building (too risky for the bank).

I never realized that the opposite may be true, that the coop wants to make sure the new resident does not pose the risk of having a foreclosure (if there's no mortgage there can't be a foreclosure).

Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 AM

191 posts, read 900,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valera37 View Post
Hi i am new to the board. Can anyone tell me if the prices for Coops will drop next year ? I am looking to purchase a coop in brooklyn midwoon area. Asking price is 197K. Is that reasonable for this neighborhood ? Thanks.
where exactly in midwood. what are the amenities, is it near the train, does it give you a parking spot, is it really MIDWOOD and not east flatbush. how many rooms, whats the maintenece?
Also, brooklyn is kinda the X-Factor with the realestate. there are 1000/sqft condos still being sold for 700k. business is still going strong, new constructions are still popping up all over. its really hard to tell if prices in brooklyn will drop next year, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City