Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

My problem is hypertension requiring daily diuretics...all morning routes have to be pre-planned. I fondly remember the days of the subway toilets, even if they did require clothespins on noses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My problem is hypertension requiring daily diuretics...all morning routes have to be pre-planned. I fondly remember the days of the subway toilets, even if they did require clothespins on noses.
Subway toilet old skool style.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Man that last post brings me back... Btw, haven't read all the posts on this topic but I agree with brownstones original point on 7-Elevens not necessarily being an indicator of gentrification... We have two in the area and a third is opening up near my block on Metro and Eliot by the Boston Market and in the other two I almost always only see Spanish people in those stores... They have some good deals with their hot dogs and slurpees and most of the time they're cheaper than the bodegas especially if the bodega owners are Middle Eastern or Chinese... I find that Dominican or Mexican owned bodegas are usually cheaper than the other two...

But getting back, in two of the three cases of 7-11s popping up in the neighborhood. They both replaced European owned old school businesses and now those who work in the store are either Hispanic or Middle Eastern... Again, this seems to support the idea that it is more about a shift from mom and pop shops in the city to chain stores. It does have a feel of suburbanization to a certain extent but the quality of food and cheap prices definitely doesn't support the theory of gentrification... I've never seen any hipsters, yuppies or people who fit that mold come into a 7-11... That'd go against everything they tried to leave in suburbia... Now if you see Starbucks or a bunch of different organic stores that offer free-wifi or café stores without any signs (I don't know why they do that but that seems typical of a hipster locale), or numerous art spots popping up... To me, that's the biggest indicator of change... Not a 7-11... Same situation goes for those Duane Reades and Walgreenes.. If that's the case then South Jamaica is on its way for gentrification as well...

Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
7-11s pop up everywhere. Like mushrooms after a rain.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Man that last post brings me back... Btw, haven't read all the posts on this topic but I agree with brownstones original point on 7-Elevens not necessarily being an indicator of gentrification... We have two in the area and a third is opening up near my block on Metro and Eliot by the Boston Market and in the other two I almost always only see Spanish people in those stores... They have some good deals with their hot dogs and slurpees and most of the time they're cheaper than the bodegas especially if the bodega owners are Middle Eastern or Chinese... I find that Dominican or Mexican owned bodegas are usually cheaper than the other two...

But getting back, in two of the three cases of 7-11s popping up in the neighborhood. They both replaced European owned old school businesses and now those who work in the store are either Hispanic or Middle Eastern... Again, this seems to support the idea that it is more about a shift from mom and pop shops in the city to chain stores. It does have a feel of suburbanization to a certain extent but the quality of food and cheap prices definitely doesn't support the theory of gentrification... I've never seen any hipsters, yuppies or people who fit that mold come into a 7-11... That'd go against everything they tried to leave in suburbia... Now if you see Starbucks or a bunch of different organic stores that offer free-wifi or café stores without any signs (I don't know why they do that but that seems typical of a hipster locale), or numerous art spots popping up... To me, that's the biggest indicator of change... Not a 7-11... Same situation goes for those Duane Reades and Walgreenes.. If that's the case then South Jamaica is on its way for gentrification as well...
Its just the process of suburbanization that is going on in inner city neighborhoods this also goes for other chains like Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Subways, Duane Reade which is a subsidiary of Walgreens. Like I said before you would never see a hipster inside a 7 eleven, nothing organic is there like a freeze dried hamburger made out of free ranged ground beef from a cow stamped with a seal of approval made in Williamsburg. Sometimes at night coming from a lounge or a club I have seen yuppies buy food at 7 eleven. I find it real funny that I spoke to a white Transplant chick from NC and where she is from suburbs are urbanizing and the usual complaint is about loud mouth, superiority complexed New Yorkers opening up a pizza place which makes its dough by importing fluoride based water from New York, talk about organic.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Its just the process of suburbanization that is going on in inner city neighborhoods this also goes for other chains like Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Subways, Duane Reade which is a subsidiary of Walgreens. Like I said before you would never see a hipster inside a 7 eleven, nothing organic is there like a freeze dried hamburger made out of free ranged ground beef from a cow stamped with a seal of approval made in Williamsburg. Sometimes at night coming from a lounge or a club I have seen yuppies buy food at 7 eleven. I find it real funny that I spoke to a white Transplant chick from NC and where she is from suburbs are urbanizing and the usual complaint is about loud mouth, superiority complexed New Yorkers opening up a pizza place which makes its dough by importing fluoride based water from New York, talk about organic.
She should be thankful, the whole rest of America still doesn't know how to make pizza after all this time.

Whether or not 7-11s represent gentrification (I'd say no), they're kind of a bummer and they take away from the character of the city. Definitely look out of place and suburban.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
She should be thankful, the whole rest of America still doesn't know how to make pizza after all this time.

Whether or not 7-11s represent gentrification (I'd say no), they're kind of a bummer and they take away from the character of the city. Definitely look out of place and suburban.
The thing is this, this country is in a rut and people are looking to make fast money, from landlords to govt, people who own plots of land. Whats really going in this city and in America is sad and I feel that for many people basic way of life is going to be tarnished due to the process of homogenization. I know many Transplants who feel that they are superior to local New Yorkers and some of these types of people demand similar services that they used to value back in Suburbia. On the flip side New Yorkers who flee to the burbs have a similar notion of being superior to suburbanites and demand similar services that they value back in NYC. Now you wonder why Transplants segregate themselves from local New Yorkers as much as possible and when a New Yorker moves to other states that are very suburban one must wonder why all your neighbors have NYC accent but no Southern twang or drawl. The only time people integrate is on the highway to work.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Subway toilet old skool style.

Yep, same old MTA.
The only thing the MTA is missing are people who know how to use a scrubbrush.
THey are like maids with cerebrtal palsy...who are VERY well paid.

Yes it is harder to clean something than to close it.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The thing is this, this country is in a rut and people are looking to make fast money, from landlords to govt, people who own plots of land. Whats really going in this city and in America is sad and I feel that for many people basic way of life is going to be tarnished due to the process of homogenization. I know many Transplants who feel that they are superior to local New Yorkers and some of these types of people demand similar services that they used to value back in Suburbia. On the flip side New Yorkers who flee to the burbs have a similar notion of being superior to suburbanites and demand similar services that they value back in NYC. Now you wonder why Transplants segregate themselves from local New Yorkers as much as possible and when a New Yorker moves to other states that are very suburban one must wonder why all your neighbors have NYC accent but no Southern twang or drawl. The only time people integrate is on the highway to work.
You are clueless about the suburbs and should not be commenting on them.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
i guess the small storefront owner has to be cut out of the ny economy
to make way for the new immigrant servant class, who will run the franchise
markets for less pay, just like most of the gas stations everywhere.

i swear the good ol' boys has america all figured out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City