Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
What's in that pathmark location now?
It's empty. Supposedly they're building a condo development there. I think the hurricane spend up their closing timeline. Pathmark flooded big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's empty. Supposedly they're building a condo development there. I think the hurricane spend up their closing timeline. Pathmark flooded big time.
Wow man, that pathmark had been there as long as I can remember...

Old 05-05-2013, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 13,623 times
Awesome! Thanks for all the info Really helpful.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 AM

782 posts, read 858,771 times
Long story short...the area you will be living in used to be slummy and unsafe up until fairly recently, when the L.E.S saw a good amount of gentrification and construction of luxury condos.

Still intact, however, is the crazy nightlife in that area. It's crowded, loud and there's a heavy police presence (i'm talking taxis that are actually squad cars)...it's more or less safe. Just don't dismiss the possibility of alcohol/drug related crimes

Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM

23 posts, read 41,216 times
That area is Chinatown. While I love it because of the cheap food and fresh veggies, some don't like it because it can be extremely crowded (with locals and tourists) and a tad bit smelly (fish vendors). I wouldn't quite call that area upscale but there have been a few new residential buildings in the area. It's relatively safe, but walk on the main streets at night.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Upscale ? Ludlow St ? Never would have thought of that term to describe Ludlow Street.It's Chinatown,definitely not "upscale".
Yeah seriously, I would be thinking more like the slums.
upscale??, wow, really depends on what one thinks is upscale, and to me, chinatown is the slums, absolutely not upscale.

safe - yes
fun - probably
diverse - yes
upscale - this is so funny, i cant even stop laughing. this is so far from ever being called upscale.

try looking at the tenements with the bars on the windows and the dirty windows, curtains tied in a knot, upscale???, would have never crossed my mind.....it is actually hillarious that someone could possibly think that Ludlow is upscale. OMG !!!

sorry to burst your bubble, but it ain't.............................glorified tenements, thats all it is

BTW - LES is not the hippest hood in the US, brooklyn is the trendiest place in USA

Old 05-07-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Lower east side is the hippest neighborhood in The United States of America

, no it isn't

Brooklyn is.

100 percent better places that the LES

Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's safe, if a bit ugly.

, a bit?????

Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM

465 posts, read 872,360 times
The LES is totally safe now, and has been for a number of years.

20-25 years ago, I would have told you to avoid some of the sketchier blocks way east, but nowadays, it's all good, pretty much. Obviously, like anywhere, there will still be some degree of crime, but you would get this even in some quiet suburb. LES nowadays is very safe, even late at night.

I lived there 15 years ago, BTW, and even then, it wasn't sketchy anymore. And I lived way east, close to the river.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,623 times
One more question: is taking the subway alone at night safe? (Looks like I'll be taking the F line predominantly.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City