Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Show me where I said it's illegal for a tenant to snoop around? Never said such a thing. What I did say was that it will not sit well with the LL once he finds out the tenant's been snooping around with DHCR on the legitimacy of the legal rent.

In the event that the legal rent is indeed legit, the LL could discreetly charge the snooping tenant the higher legal rent when their lease expires in which, by the way, the LL is entitled to get anyway and in which the tenant will have to move because the legal rent being charged is higher than the market rent in the area. Think of it as a big F.U. parting gift to the snooping tenant for putting the LL through that ordeal.

And if the tenant were to charge the LL with harassment, it will get thrown out of court as there is no proof the LL harassed the tenant. What the LL simply did was exercise his right to charge the legal rent once the lease expires. That simple.

The only way a tenant should attempt to snoop around for the legitimacy of the legal rent is if they are 99.9% sure the legal rent is false. Other than that, snooping around has consequences, meaning the tenant would have to pony up some addition $$$ for the security deposit, first month's rent and moving expenses for their new place because the LL will for sure stick it to the tenant and charge them the higher legal rent as payback, forcing the tenant to move.
Dumb and dumber.
People are surely smart enough to see the "hype," which is good.

I recognize the bitterness and desperation of a very small real estate investor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
$1,100 for a 2 bedroom apartment is cheap. In fact, the market rate rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is between $1,100-$1,200. So consider yourself luck that you were paying $400 below market rate for your 2 bedroom apartment.

Market rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in the Bronx is between $1,400-$1,550.
I don't consider myself "lucky." I paid the agreed upon rent the landlord charged. I wasn't given a handout.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't consider myself "lucky." I paid the agreed upon rent the landlord charged. I wasn't given a handout.
The courts ruled that rent stabilization is a public assistance program. You were given a handout.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You could ignore the comments.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
The courts ruled that rent stabilization is a public assistance program. You were given a handout.
Absolutely. Just like the far more major hand-outs that landlords and developers receive - every day.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Absolutely. Just like the far more major hand-outs that landlords and developers receive - every day.
Yes, so the only people who can talk are people who live in Market Rate buildings.
Everyone else is siphoning our tax dollars and cheap units.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Yes, so the only people who can talk are people who live in Market Rate buildings.
Everyone else is siphoning our tax dollars and cheap units.
Not me. And I would never have invested in a stabilized building - better to choose other investments.

We are doing far more "paying" than "taking," and that's fine.

We live in a very predatory world and here the real estate people are feeding off everyone, including each other if push comes to shove. Most of the big ones do not even live here and a growing number are not American.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
If you have a preferential rate on a market apartment it's not a hand out because the landlord is under no obligation to discount, the reality is that the pref rate is usually market. Now that he's at the max rate, it's ironically now going to be more like a handout since the landlord can't go any higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: