Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times

Advertisements

I guess the total lack of parking kills Bedford Park. The subway is right there, but shopping options seem limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:14 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Agree but at least the tone was positive. I for one think that Bedford Park is a better area than either Washington Heights or Inwood yet both of those neighborhoods seem to be higher priced.
I lived in both. In the late 70's as Washington Heights really started to change, your a 100% correct. Bedford area in 1980 was a really nice area. Not here to debate with outsiders but I actually lived there like yourself. Went to school there like yourself. By the 1980's Washington heights became the cocaine capital of NYC. Back then there was only 1 nypd pct in the Heights. 34 which originally was on Wadsworth Ave if I remember correctly before moving to Broadway near St Elizabeth's. By 1990, The Heights was ground zero for lawlessness. West of Broadway near 181th st was holding on but the area was a nightmare. They went through the Kiko riots during Dinkins era. Meanwhile Norwood was a pretty solid working class/ middle class area. IMO Norwood/ Bedford area really started changing by 94ish. Stores that were once there and other amenities disappeared. Remember middle class/working class have discretionary cash to dine out or shop for certain items. Back to Inwood/ Washington Heights. The area has seen a huge resurgence of yuppies and out of state transplants. Not the same people that would go to St Elizabeth or Good Shepherd in Inwood but nonetheless workers. Park terrace in Inwood and areas west of Broadway have really gotten much nicer. IMO, Inwood or washington Heights compared to Bedford park is they are on the famous Island of Manhattan. BTW 2 weeks ago I was near Dykman Street at a spanish bar. The whole area has seen this huge infusion of Latin clubs/ restaurants where some serious cash was spent. There is a spot near the GW bridge where beyonce and Jay Z were last summer. Once again this is one man's opinion and I have lived in both.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:50 AM

579 posts, read 945,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I lived in both. In the late 70's as Washington Heights really started to change, your a 100% correct. Bedford area in 1980 was a really nice area. Not here to debate with outsiders but I actually lived there like yourself. Went to school there like yourself. By the 1980's Washington heights became the cocaine capital of NYC. Back then there was only 1 nypd pct in the Heights. 34 which originally was on Wadsworth Ave if I remember correctly before moving to Broadway near St Elizabeth's. By 1990, The Heights was ground zero for lawlessness. West of Broadway near 181th st was holding on but the area was a nightmare. They went through the Kiko riots during Dinkins era. Meanwhile Norwood was a pretty solid working class/ middle class area. IMO Norwood/ Bedford area really started changing by 94ish. Stores that were once there and other amenities disappeared. Remember middle class/working class have discretionary cash to dine out or shop for certain items. Back to Inwood/ Washington Heights. The area has seen a huge resurgence of yuppies and out of state transplants. Not the same people that would go to St Elizabeth or Good Shepherd in Inwood but nonetheless workers. Park terrace in Inwood and areas west of Broadway have really gotten much nicer. IMO, Inwood or washington Heights compared to Bedford park is they are on the famous Island of Manhattan. BTW 2 weeks ago I was near Dykman Street at a spanish bar. The whole area has seen this huge infusion of Latin clubs/ restaurants where some serious cash was spent. There is a spot near the GW bridge where beyonce and Jay Z were last summer. Once again this is one man's opinion and I have lived in both.
Norwood, I get it. You don't think Bedford Park is "up and coming". You've made that clear in all of your posts. You think Inwood and Washington Heights will come back sooner than Bedford Park. What I think is that Bedford Park may not be as far along as Inwood but I think it is on its way back. Let's agree to disagree on this. I do agree that one of the reasons why Inwood is way ahead is that the address is NY, NY rather than Bronx, NY. I also think that's why Riverdale is valued less than other comparable areas of the city and Westchester. It's shallow but true. It's why people are moving to Harlem rather than the South Bronx as well.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
Norwood, I get it. You don't think Bedford Park is "up and coming". You've made that clear in all of your posts. You think Inwood and Washington Heights will come back sooner than Bedford Park. What I think is that Bedford Park may not be as far along as Inwood but I think it is on its way back. Let's agree to disagree on this. I do agree that one of the reasons why Inwood is way ahead is that the address is NY, NY rather than Bronx, NY. I also think that's why Riverdale is valued less than other comparable areas of the city and Westchester. It's shallow but true. It's why people are moving to Harlem rather than the South Bronx as well.
Honestly, What is Bedford Park? It's an area that was never consider a hotbed for fashion, nightlife, or eateries? Am I wrong on that? It's a area where families settled to raise kids. Not sure how they did it but went to Neri with fellow pupils who came from large irish families. 5 or 6 living in those huge prewar apts. Now the races have changed but I still think that's what's moving in. The question I pose to you, What can be done to get more middle class families into the area? Bedford Park is not gonna become 30th Ave in Astoria or Bell Blvd in Bayside. Throggs Neck is a latino middle class/ working class area. That's the clientele that would be a big asset to Bedford. Unfoutanely they keep building 6-8 story building that are for emotionally disturbed people, drug addicts, and section 8. Meanwhile you have 2 huge hospitals in the area. You would think the community board would love to get Dr's and Nurses to move to the area. BTW I had a Monty Dr. in my old building growing up. This is not a race thing but economics. Two whites, two latinos, or 2 blacks making a decent living want to live amongst their economic peers. In my old building in Riverdale my neighbor is an original Tuskegee Airmen. He's a former president of Bx Community College. I had another Black neighbor who owned 2 funeral homes in Harlem.

Travel through Inwood. Look at all the cash poured into the restaurants and clubs. I was there and one of my buddies was like "This is a Latino Bell Blvd".

Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
...The question I pose to you, What can be done to get more middle class families into the area? Bedford Park is not gonna become 30th Ave in Astoria or Bell Blvd in Bayside. Throggs Neck is a latino middle class/ working class area. ... This is not a race thing but economics. Two whites, two latinos, or 2 blacks making a decent living want to live amongst their economic peers. In my old building in Riverdale my neighbor is an original Tuskegee Airmen. He's a former president of Bx Community College. I had another Black neighbor who owned 2 funeral homes in Harlem.

Travel through Inwood. Look at all the cash poured into the restaurants and clubs. I was there and one of my buddies was like "This is a Latino Bell Blvd".
Lower middle class familiies live here now and they always have. In 2005, average AGI for zipcodes 10458 and 10468 were about $25,000 which includes the areas south of E198th St. That compares to $28,000 for 10034, $40,000 for 10461 and $59,000 for all of NYS. Not bad but could be better. As they say in the article,

"Brokers see its (Bedford Park's) prominence increasing as more buyers are priced out elsewhere. “People are discovering it,” said Oscar Cabrera of Keller Williams Real Estate, describing the area as one of several in the Bronx he considers “the last bastions of affordability in New York City.....Bedford Park has always maintained itself and has a pretty good name,” Mr. Cabrera said. “You can raise a family there and not see dilapidated houses.”

Inwood is improving faster. So what. It doesn't mean Bedford Park won't continue to improve. I don't think it's zero sum.

Last edited by pietrang; 02-17-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Lower middle class familiies live here now and they always have. In 2005, average AGI for zipcodes 10458 and 10468 were about $25,000 which includes the areas south of E198th St. That compares to $28,000 for 10034, $40,000 for 10461 and $59,000 for all of NYS. Not bad but could be better. As they say in the article,

I wonder what the AGI was in 1980 or 1990? Just out of curiosity. BTW I think BP and a lot of places can get better.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
I wonder what the AGI was in 1980 or 1990? Just out of curiosity. BTW I think BP and a lot of places can get better.
Bedford Park, Norwood, Mosholu, while stable, still has a ton of potential and can get better as you said but in order for that to happen, in my opinion, there must be a decline in poor people moving in and an uptick in middle class folks moving in.

The rezoning of Webster Ave can either make or break these neighborhoods. So far in my opinion, I am very sceptical as the powers that be are allowing low income/supportive housing to be built in these neighborhoods which only compounds the "poor" demographic by inviting more poor and unstable people to live in these neighborhoods simply because the housing they require exist there.

This is why members of the Community Board from these neighborhoods must step up and show their opposition to these proposed supportive housing complexes before they are finalized. From what I understand, the rezoning agreement was that the buildings must have retail stores on the ground floor. These supportive housing proposal do not and that may be a way to stop the project.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
...The rezoning of Webster Ave can either make or break these neighborhoods. So far in my opinion, I am very sceptical as the powers that be are allowing low income/supportive housing to be built in these neighborhoods which only compounds the "poor" demographic by inviting more poor and unstable people to live in these neighborhoods simply because the housing they require exist there.

This is why members of the Community Board from these neighborhoods must step up and show their opposition to these proposed supportive housing complexes before they are finalized. From what I understand, the rezoning agreement was that the buildings must have retail stores on the ground floor. These supportive housing proposal do not and that may be a way to stop the project.
CB 7 general meeting is tomorrow evening 6:30 pm at 310 East Kingsbridge Road. Land and Zoning Use Committee meeting is Wednesday 6:30 pm at 229A E204th St.

http://www.bronxcb7.info/calendar.html

Go and have your voices heard

Old 02-17-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Bedford Park, Norwood, Mosholu, while stable, still has a ton of potential and can get better as you said but in order for that to happen, in my opinion, there must be a decline in poor people moving in and an uptick in middle class folks moving in.

The rezoning of Webster Ave can either make or break these neighborhoods. So far in my opinion, I am very sceptical as the powers that be are allowing low income/supportive housing to be built in these neighborhoods which only compounds the "poor" demographic by inviting more poor and unstable people to live in these neighborhoods simply because the housing they require exist there.

Unfourtantely, I believe your right jay. Are you familiar with Villa Ave? In the last few years, all the new construction is geared towards the indigent or mentally unstable. One building is going up on the West side of the street as we speak. Not raining on my old hood but actually would love to see real progress. What about the 2 buildings on Webster north of Gunhill? Do you know what's the deal there? BTW you seem savvy to Real estate. What if all the buildings in the area that went coop in the 80's had doormen? I think that would be like like 5 or 6 buildings north of Bedford right on the Concourse?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,598 times
Quote:
Unfourtantely, I believe your right jay. Are you familiar with Villa Ave? In the last few years, all the new construction is geared towards the indigent or mentally unstable. One building is going up on the West side of the street as we speak. Not raining on my old hood but actually would love to see real progress. What about the 2 buildings on Webster north of Gunhill? Do you know what's the deal there? BTW you seem savvy to Real estate. What if all the buildings in the area that went coop in the 80's had doormen? I think that would be like like 5 or 6 buildings north of Bedford right on the Concourse?
The construction on the north end of Webster ave and gun hill is yet another supportive housing complex. The powers that be are ruining this area and the residents are allowing it to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City