Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times

Advertisements

Some fault lies with the community board and the housing committee whose tendancy was to support these projects for some time. I am as liberal as they (almost) get, but there has been some overly idealistic people involved who for personal reasons did not want to deny these projects. And then you get some whose worst fear is gentrification, and who support whatever is going to make the neighborhood less desirable to outsiders in the fear of being priced out. There was a proposal by another community board for some type of fair share legislation several years ago because this dumping is happening all over the Bronx. The CB 7 board housing committee rejected it at the time because "people need a place to live". But thankfully there are more level heads making their voices heard now.

Even with all that, I dont think that Webster Ave. will make or break the community. If it was Bedford Park Blvd., then that would be an entirely different story. The way the neighborhood is shaped, Webster onlt has a few blocks that fall within Bedford Parks boundaries, and many of the existing buildings are not going anywhere, andthe Nybg owns some of it as well. Being on the periphary, it wouldn't stop me from moving in, but it's something to be concerned about nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,927 times
Thanks for the read's.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:11 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Some fault lies with the community board and the housing committee whose tendancy was to support these projects for some time. I am as liberal as they (almost) get, but there has been some overly idealistic people involved who for personal reasons did not want to deny these projects. And then you get some whose worst fear is gentrification, and who support whatever is going to make the neighborhood less desirable to outsiders in the fear of being priced out. There was a proposal by another community board for some type of fair share legislation several years ago because this dumping is happening all over the Bronx. The CB 7 board housing committee rejected it at the time because "people need a place to live". But thankfully there are more level heads making their voices heard now.

Even with all that, I dont think that Webster Ave. will make or break the community. If it was Bedford Park Blvd., then that would be an entirely different story. The way the neighborhood is shaped, Webster onlt has a few blocks that fall within Bedford Parks boundaries, and many of the existing buildings are not going anywhere, andthe Nybg owns some of it as well. Being on the periphary, it wouldn't stop me from moving in, but it's something to be concerned about nonetheless.
Eventually you will have to deal with them in your daily travels within your area. Your house/coop/condo can be great but if your area is overpopulated with this housing. Where do they food shop? Schools? post Office? Parks?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,019 times
This is nothing new for the Bronx..neighborhood after neighborhood is destroyed by dumping the city's problems onto it in a tidal wave of development. The Bronx overall already serves this population disproportionately...why add more? This rezoning of Webster Ave is a perfect opportunity to create mixed income housing, retail and amenities...where are the working / middle class to live, those who actually keep the city running, if they are being crowded out by vast developments of social services housing?

They continue to leave the city and I don't blame them. The attack on the Bronx has been ongoing for 50+ years, and our Bronx elected officials gleefully partake in its destruction...Ruben Diaz can end this but he is asleep at the wheel....actually he is not even driving..he is an oblivious passenger strapped in a car seat in the back.

If Webster Ave becomes social services row, the renaissance of the Bronx that all these elected officials love to proclaim, will be dead and buried. We will have small islands of ok nabes, surrounded by seas of the destitute, desperate, and dependent. Maybe that's the intent of the elected officials?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:01 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times
I wonder if you would know if any of this is on the agenda at tonight's cb meeting?Thanks too for the links.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,501,996 times
I agree with Norwood and other posters here..if an area gets saturated with low income/social services housing middle classed people aren't going to live there and there goes the neighborhood. I for one would not want to live next to a building that houses formerly homeless mentally ill people. I also agree that the city needs to stop dumping these types of projects onto the Bronx,s back. It's not fair. While I applaud agencies that want to help our most vulnerable, the Bronx is already at the tipping point here with them. Stop it. Middle classed people want to move to the Bronx because it represents potential and affordability...but thanks to incompetent leadership and city hall, people are being chased away.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:57 PM

31,941 posts, read 27,048,330 times
FYI, last Sunday's New York Times real estate section covered Bedford Park in the Bronx

Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This is nothing new for the Bronx..neighborhood after neighborhood is destroyed by dumping the city's problems onto it in a tidal wave of development. The Bronx overall already serves this population disproportionately...why add more? This rezoning of Webster Ave is a perfect opportunity to create mixed income housing, retail and amenities...where are the working / middle class to live, those who actually keep the city running, if they are being crowded out by vast developments of social services housing?

They continue to leave the city and I don't blame them. The attack on the Bronx has been ongoing for 50+ years, and our Bronx elected officials gleefully partake in its destruction...Ruben Diaz can end this but he is asleep at the wheel....actually he is not even driving..he is an oblivious passenger strapped in a car seat in the back.

If Webster Ave becomes social services row, the renaissance of the Bronx that all these elected officials love to proclaim, will be dead and buried. We will have small islands of ok nabes, surrounded by seas of the destitute, desperate, and dependent. Maybe that's the intent of the elected officials?

Have you noticed that all those who support these programs are Liberal Democrats? Just sayin....

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Have you noticed that all those who support these programs are Liberal Democrats? Just sayin....
Of course they are. Libturds love handouts. A bleeding heart libturd! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City