Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 05:38 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

"Mass transit should be encouraged and subsidized due to the monetary benefits to the city."

NYC's public transportation is far far far to expensive to the state and the city to wish for any expansion of it.
Few to no people in Buffalo, Watertown, or Yaphank benefit from the MTA services- yet they're all being taxed on basic services they need to drive on it.

... and of course, all the suggestions I hear on here are tax people who drive more.

Mostly nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
"Mass transit should be encouraged and subsidized due to the monetary benefits to the city."

NYC's public transportation is far far far to expensive to the state and the city to wish for any expansion of it.
Few to no people in Buffalo, Watertown, or Yaphank benefit from the MTA services- yet they're all being taxed on basic services they need to drive on it.

... and of course, all the suggestions I hear on here are tax people who drive more.

Mostly nonsense.
Are you kidding me.

NYC subsidizes New York State. Our city wouldn't be able to sustain it's dense population (nor it's tax base) without it's mass transportation system. Almost half the total population of this state lives in the 5 boroughs, along with a greater share of business. Another large chunk of that population depends on the city directly for employment (metro area). Imagine New York State without NYC. A small price to pay.

NYC is an economic generator for the nation as a whole. Our GDP rivals nations.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Sounds good to me.
Undesirable behavior need not be encouraged.
I say start with Single-occupant cars driving into manhattan during rush hours.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I'm just so happy that I'm going to make it out of this state still rejecting the idea that people are merely chess pieces to be moved around and forced to do what their masters desire. Lacking that "skill", I should have no problem fitting into the real world when I move.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Did I ever mention on these threads that I have a free Metrocard that I never use? lol. I use it maybe once a month, probably less. Last year I commuted with it for a solid month, but that's about the most use it's gotten in the roughly 10 years I've had it.

That definitely burns some of your butts. Believe it or not, but it's true. As a matter of fact, it expires soon so I'll have to work on getting my new one.

EDIT: Take that back, I used it in 2007 for a few months. Took the train on SI, ferry, then the R back into Brooklyn on weekdays. That's what it takes to get to downtown Brooklyn from SI. But oh yeah, since only a small percentage of people are doing that, we're justified using government backing to force people into our way of thinking. How compassionate.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Sounds good to me.
Undesirable behavior need not be encouraged.
I say start with Single-occupant cars driving into manhattan during rush hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I'm just so happy that I'm going to make it out of this state still rejecting the idea that people are merely chess pieces to be moved around and forced to do what their masters desire. Lacking that "skill", I should have no problem fitting into the real world when I move.
Congestion pricing will come soon enough.

I am for that (HOV rules during rush hour for Manhattan bound traffic).

I say complement by dedicating at least one lane of the Queensboro, Manhattan, Willis/Third Ave Bridges to BRT. Just drop a jersey barrier. Create BRT routes serving communities that lack rapid transit converge onto those 3 points from the 3 most populated boroughs (BK, BX, Queens). That would dramatically change commute times to/from those areas. One stop per neighborhood.

(BRT or Bus Rapid-Transit is a temporary solution to new rapid transit/subway lines). It's what SBS aspires to become when it grows up (and may soon become).

Quote:
Did I ever mention on these threads that I have a free Metrocard that I never use? lol. I use it maybe once a month, probably less. Last year I commuted with it for a solid month, but that's about the most use it's gotten in the roughly 10 years I've had it.

That definitely burns some of your butts. Believe it or not, but it's true. As a matter of fact, it expires soon so I'll have to work on getting my new one.

EDIT: Take that back, I used it in 2007 for a few months. Took the train on SI, ferry, then the R back into Brooklyn on weekdays. That's what it takes to get to downtown Brooklyn from SI. But oh yeah, since only a small percentage of people are doing that, we're justified using government backing to force people into our way of thinking. How compassionate.
You made the decision to live on SI. You could have moved to one of many Brooklyn neighborhoods that provide adequate mass transit. It comes at a price.

Even then, with congestion pricing, Verrazano Bridge crossings should actually cost less (as long as traffic in the Brooklyn area is low). There would be a number of new tolls across the city to compensate and the most expensive will be to enter the Manhattan CBD.

But honestly, if you want the suburbs, move to LI or Jersey already. NYC is going through an urban renaissance. It's a city after all.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 06-06-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM

I'm from here, I'll leave on my own terms. No liberal hippy agenda is making me leave until I take your lifetime tax gift with me. I want your money to pay my car payments when I move to America. I'm pretty sure I get to keep the metrocard too.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM

FYI, I find it interesting (and telling), that you lack the capacity to even respond when one of us who fall into your "minority" percentage dare to speak up with, "hey, wait, what about us?" And you wonder why we HATE people like you. If you guys faked it better, you might fool some people into joining your cause against their own interests, but you can't even do that.

So do you grow your own food or not? Another question you never answered, purposefully of course. I do, just planted this year's garden in the last week. My daughters love the strawberries we grow every year.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm from here, I'll leave on my own terms. No liberal hippy agenda is making me leave until I take your lifetime tax gift with me. I want your money to pay my car payments when I move to America. I'm pretty sure I get to keep the metrocard too.
If liberal and hippy means beneficial to the overall city of New York, so be it. I don't care about labels, I care about a more efficient, greener, urban NYC.

This city is only becoming more and more young, hip, and progressive. The provincial townies and ghetto fabulous are leaving in droves, replaced by educated young professionals and aspiring immigrants who depend upon our subway lines and buses and made the choice to live in dense, walkable, urban communities.

Quote:
FYI, I find it interesting (and telling), that you lack the capacity to even respond when one of us who fall into your "minority" percentage dare to speak up with, "hey, wait, what about us?" And you wonder why we hate people like you. If you guys faked it better, you might fool some people into joining your cause against their own interests, but you can't even do that.

So do you grow your own food or not? Another question you never answered, purposefully of course. I do, just planted this year's garden in the last week. My daughters love the strawberries we grow every year.
You must hate a lot of people. Most New Yorkers are sick of the congestion, the air pollution and collisions that often seriously injure or claim lives.

I'm glad you grow food, I have rooftop and community gardened recreationally. I don't farm my food, I live in an apartment without a garden. Are you going to counter with, "Well you need trucks to bring in food right!". Or "Well you need those farmers from rural areas!" Of course, but I don't need someone in a transit rich environment to commute via auto when they could take the subway instead.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 06-06-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Your whining about them liberals this, and liberals that, is getting old and tedious.
If you leave now we'll not only pay your government subsidized pension. We'll also give you a lifetime subscription to dunkin donuts, so you won't feel like you're missing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City