Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Admit it or deny it in NYC?
admit Walmart 10 47.62%
deny Walmart 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 AM

99 posts, read 167,624 times

Advertisements

As far as how they treat their employees, I've worked at both Walmart and Target, and I can safely say that they are on the same playing field. I might even say Target is worse than Walmart. Apart from the fact that Target actually pays a lot lower than Walmart, they severely under staff their stores, and squeeze their employee for far more than they are paying them. They present a fake pleasant facade of caring about their employees, but they are just far more conniving and sneaky about screwing you over. Walmart on the other hand actually gives you decent hours-- 32+, where Target will promise you full time then shaft you with 26, 15, 10, etc. So in that regard, Walmart is actually better than Target which actually has a bunch of stores around NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You can order stuff online from WalMart. I do . I've gotten good deals on things like sneakers, t shirts, other clothes, etc.
Thats what I do....Walmart has good stuff for the house....I ordered a new kitty litter box with high sides because my cat kept kicking out the litter and it was a pain in the ass to sweep up all the time....15 bucks. I hate shopping at Walmart so online works for me. Also ordered this metal shelf rack for my pantry to store non-perishables and other stuff on. Still looks brand new 4 years later and holds up to 250 lbs.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Not against it but WMT at this point has been eclipsed in the NYC area by other retailers offering better value like COSTCO, Target and Trader Joe's.

Agreed.

Who needs Wal-Mart when you have access to cheaper goods at Costco and online retailers like Amazon?

Costco has better prices than Wal-Mart. And Costco unlike Wal-Mart treats its employees like human beings, paying them living wages and allowing them to unionize.

So Wal-Mart in NYC? thanks but no thanks.
We are doing just fine with them staying in the archie bunker towns of LI.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:49 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,296 times
Watch this about Wallyworld....
EVIL company.
Pure evil I say...
Walmart: The High Cost Of Low Prices FULL MOVIE - YouTube

Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 AM

370 posts, read 624,479 times
I'm surprised at all the pro-Walmart comments here. I've watched the movie StaggerLee22 posted and I never shopped in a Walmart after that.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I'm surprised at all the pro-Walmart comments here. I've watched the movie StaggerLee22 posted and I never shopped in a Walmart after that.
cheap, convenient, plentiful goods - is there anything more american?

Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
I thought it ridiculous the nation's largest city had none. Of course I understand NYC has a lot of small stores that wouldn't want the competition.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM

171 posts, read 303,171 times
I support WalMart in NYC. 100%

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,233,235 times
I'm not proud of liking wal-mart but I do. I ordered some put together furniture from them recently. They had what I wanted at the cheapest price, free shipping, and fed ex brought it right to my door. When I shop online it's all about finding what I want and then who has it cheapest.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
I'm also surprised at how many people like Wal-Mart.

I have found that most things are not much cheaper than anywhere else. (But I already shop sales around here and don't pay exorbitantly high prices on stuff like a lot of people.) When we go upstate, we usually stop there (since there isn't much else around in terms of food) and I find a lot of stuff to be more expensive than if I bought it on sale around here. And most of the stuff there is crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City