Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Why not buy eggs that aren't sold in styrofoam?
I find that most of the time when eggs are on sale or where they are the cheapest, they are in the styrofoam containers. I wish they'd just make everyone put them in cardboard. Though, I haven't really had an issue like KK is talking about when they're in cardboard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
What's wrong with buying them in cardboard?? That's what we do and they seem just fine.

I buy eggs at COSTCO, ALDI'S, KEY or ASSOCIATED...all are packed in Styrofoam.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I buy eggs at COSTCO, ALDI'S, KEY or ASSOCIATED...all are packed in Styrofoam.
That's interesting and disturbing that none of those places use cardboard cartons.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Confused because the styrofoam containers have the little recycle logo on them.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's confusing because even though you see that logo, the city does not recycle everything that can be because they argue that it would be too expensive to do so, therefore many items that can be recycled are simply tossed into the landfill.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times
From NYC.gov:

Quote:
NYC's recycling program does not accept Foam Plasticsfor recycling.

Expanded polystyrene, commonly known as Styrofoam®, constitutes about ½ of one percent (0.5%) of NYC's waste. The recyclable plastics that DSNY collects comprise about 2.14%. (To put this in perspective, recyclable paper comprises about 23% of NYC's waste)

Why NYC Doesn't Accept Foam Plastics for Recycling

Foam plastic is very difficult to recycle unless kept very clean and separate from all other types of plastic. For this reason, New York City and most other cities' plastics recycling programs do not collect it with commingled recycling.
Because of the difficulty of recycling expanded polystyrene, there are relatively few plants in the U.S. that will take it. This means that the material must be shipped to distant factories. The transport and processing is expensive, unsustainable, and not environmentally friendly.

DSNY Bureau of Waste Prevention, Reuse and Recycling encourages New Yorkers to consider alternatives to foam plastic wherever possible.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless...tyrofoam.shtml

Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 PM

245 posts, read 318,070 times
Trader Joe's, Target and Keyfood all sell in cardboard and those are my primary spots. :shrugs:

Old 06-18-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:

When I lived in Jersey City, I called the Sanitation Department and asked. You would think I had confronted a meeting of the G-8 with an insoluble problem.

After MUCH ADO, the consensus ruled that Styrofoam went into the garbage and was not recycled. (I should have called the DeCavalcantes for a faster ruling.)

Grosvenor,
Yes it is sad that so few places use cardboard egg containers. The only ones I see are the "organic" eggs but I won't pay $5 a dozen for eggs.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
Trader Joe's, Target and Keyfood all sell in cardboard and those are my primary spots. :shrugs:

MY local Key Food sells eggs in Styrofoam.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Yep,
Mine say "6 PS" in the recycle triangle. Presumably "polystyrene."

You would think they could be used to produce insulation sheets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City