Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 PM

145 posts, read 347,338 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So basically, I am a masters of accounting student and am considering applying to the NYC offices of accounting firms. My school has a good placement record, so there's a good chance I'll be working for a Big 4 or other multinational accounting firm once I move there and the average salary is roughly 60k all-in from what I've heard. This isn't a ton, obviously, especially when compared to finance/consulting types, but I'm hoping it's not too little either. Assuming all this, I'm still wondering if I'd be a good fit in NYC and was wondering if you all could help me out. Here are some of my concerns:

1. Just how bad is my lifestyle going to be: I mostly plan to be working (I will work a lot of hours in public accounting) and hitting the gym/preparing my meals during the weekdays, but I'd like to go out at least once a week. I'm also fine with living in Queens or Brooklyn as long as my commute won't be insane (I'd likely be working in the Times Square/Rockefeller Center area) and insane to me is >25 minutes one way by subway. I also don't spend a ton of clothes and will mostly be either bringing my old clothes or will buy a few extra, reasonably-priced, conservative clothes for my professional attire. If I do this, will I really be that miserable in NYC, because a lot of people make it seem as though <100k is below poverty level up there.

2. Will I really not be respected if I am not a banker/consultant or an "elite" person: I've heard that NYC is a very status conscious city and, even though it sounds naive, I guess I'm a little bit worried that it will be hard to build a social life (not just the women btw, although that's my prime concern given I'm a early-20s male ) if I'm not an ivy league graduate working on Wall Street or those types of jobs. The job I'd be working is definitely a solid line, but being frank, it's not super sexy either and even though I attend a so-called "public ivy", it's definitely not Harvard. Just how big of an issue is your "social standing" so to speak in NYC in terms of meeting people/dating?

3. Intellectualism Culture Prevalent?: I'm curious how NYC compares to so called "intellectual" cities like DC, Boston, San Francisco, etc. in terms of that culture. Truth be told, I don't really like the bar scene and have started to outgrow it now that I'm almost done with school. I'd rather sit down somewhere not noisy with friends and have an intelligent conversation with people about current events, their philosophical beliefs, etc. over coffee or maybe very light drinks. I know NYC is a megacity and I can probably find it SOMEWHERE in the city, but my question is how easy is it to do something like this vs the cities that are "known" for this sort of thing. I'm especially concerned that this may be harder in the outer boroughs, which is where I'd be living initially.

I apologize for the long post, but I need to make a decision soon (less than 1.5 weeks!) and I'd greatly appreciate any advice you all may have as I'm very unfamiliar with this area and don't want to make it based on (incorrect) assumptions/stereotypes I may have.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM

bump

Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM

155 posts, read 259,157 times
Nobody wrote anything yet, huh.. I guess people are getting tired of answering the same **** for individuals who want to move here, lol.

Depends where you live, but you can certainly go out once a week and prepare meals daily on a 60k budget. Obviously it depends on what you're going to be doing, but you stated that you'd rather have conversations over coffee or light drinks, so it should be doable without any issues. A lot of people make it seem like <100k is below poverty here? Well, that's pathetic.. Only idiots who are ungrateful would think like that. You can live quite comfortably on 60k salary. You also seem like a laid back type of person, so 60k is fine. If you're going to be working in Times Square, I'd suggest living in Queens. Queens is the best borough regardless, but the 7 train will take you straight to the Square. The rides won't be too long, but that obviously depends where you're located.

Hmm.. It all depends who you meet when it comes to social "standing". Some men and women don't care too much, some do. But you're an accountant, which is fine, so nothing to worry about. It all comes down to how you approach others anyway.

In terms of the "intellectualism" culture, I'd actually say that's easier to find OUTSIDE of the boroughs, instead of the city. Not too sure on this one, but I'm sure you can find others who feel the same way.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
People who want to move here but cannot even manage to search the forum for answers - themselves.

Someone recently pointed out that such people may not be a "good fit" for New York.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
lol @ D.C. being "intellectual."

Old 07-01-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
lol @ D.C. being "intellectual."
care to elaborate?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,001,209 times
There are rich people and poor people in NYC. The key is compartmentalizing it all so you don't care about what makes you feel bad. There are tons and tons of people in your situation in NYC- find them and make it your own little society- you will do that by default from your entering class at the Big 4 firm. Same answer on the intellectual stuff.

Given your salary and commute demands, I'd live out on the 7 line like Sunnyside or Jackson Heights.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west_2_east View Post
care to elaborate?
It's utterly dominated by politics, the most anti-intellectual field of human endeavor there is.

To be fair I haven't spent much time there, I have a couple friends there and that's what they tell me.

New York is an intellectual town, among many other things.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
I think you and NYC will be a perfect match.
You asked a very thoughtful question and the answers could go from simple to complicated.

I'll go for simple. There is no more cultural city in the United States, perhaps the world.

For anyone who really has two brain cells to rub together "bankers/consultants and the elite" are not worth scraping off your shoe.

If you have common sense and can pull down $75K, you can live very well...but be careful not to pyss it all away on rent.

Choose NYC.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:22 PM

37 posts, read 63,951 times
NYC is what you make of it. It a huge variety of opportunities, life styles and living arrangements to offer- other cities in the US don't even come close. There is also something here for every budget.

Don't worry about needing to be a hot shot banker- only the wrong kind of people in NYC care about that stuff.

To answer your questions- as long as what you are looking for is not piece and quiet - you can find it here in NYC.

If you want specific tips on moving to the city- where to live, how to find an apartment, whether or not roommates make sense, etc. I recommend this website (http://www.movingtonewyorkguide.com)

* Disclaimer - this is my website- which has a collection of articles on all kinds of topics related to moving to NYC- I hope that you find it helpful. moderators, if linking to this site is not allowed please tell me and I will remove the link ASAP.

Best,

Peter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City