Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In fact, it's not. In the "family living centers" around here, residents are not given keys.
I am guessing this might have something to do with shelter residents asserting legal rights as tenants, which they are not.
Im sorry but what "family living centers" you've been to. I've stayed in two and my family had a key both times and every other person i knew that staYed in a family shelter received keys also. Where are you getting your info from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Hill View Post
If the living arrangement did not work out for whatever reason. I am not going to allow that to deter me from making a life for myself and my children in NY, therefore if i need to reside at a shelter that generally offers room and key,until i can stack my money and move out then so be it. If you don't understand that then you are truly an idiot who hasn't experienced anything and you have no business commenting on this post. I'm looking for answers from regular people who are out here living not people who are acting like they're living. If you have any negative comments please save them because I'm simply going to block you. I'm looking for answers and i won't be deterred by people who have nothing else to do besides sit behind a computer antagonizing situations all day.
Plz don't listen to these a.s.s.h.o.l.e.s your best bet would to ask one of ur fam to use their address. Then you can go to PATH(emergency shelter) and say they kicked you out. They'll investigate(tell fam to tell them you & ur kids are not welcomed and slam the door) once your in the shelter they will FORCE you to open up a welfare case and send.you to back to work program. Since you already have training they'll help you find a job. While your stacking your paper apply to the lottery programs and HPD application. Once u find a crib welfare will help you pay rent for while seeing as you came from the shelter. I hope this helps girl some of these anal jerk off's, chiiiile

Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyleo89 View Post
Plz don't listen to these a.s.s.h.o.l.e.s your best bet would to ask one of ur fam to use their address. Then you can go to PATH(emergency shelter) and say they kicked you out. They'll investigate(tell fam to tell them you & ur kids are not welcomed and slam the door) once your in the shelter they will FORCE you to open up a welfare case and send.you to back to work program. Since you already have training they'll help you find a job. While your stacking your paper apply to the lottery programs and HPD application. Once u find a crib welfare will help you pay rent for while seeing as you came from the shelter. I hope this helps girl some of these anal jerk off's, chiiiile
This is a great idea. Advocating LYING, FRAUD and THEFT OF SERVICES. Excellent advice.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is a great idea. Advocating LYING, FRAUD and THEFT OF SERVICES. Excellent advice.
There's no theft of services. You can't collect cash benefits in NYC and not be forced to go into the back to work program. There's no sitting on your butt doing NOTHING, unless you have a child under three. All of her kids are school age. Since she's already trained in Home Health Aide, she'll be able to get a job or she'll be MADE to do some type of workfare for the city.

There are NO FREE RIDES in NYC when you collect the dole. Why won't people believe this or do they just love to keep the myth of the lazy, good for nothing welfare recipient going just to make them feel superior to someone?

Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
There's no theft of services. You can't collect cash benefits in NYC and not be forced to go into the back to work program. There's no sitting on your butt doing NOTHING, unless you have a child under three. All of her kids are school age. Since she's already trained in Home Health Aide, she'll be able to get a job or she'll be MADE to do some type of workfare for the city.

There are NO FREE RIDES in NYC when you collect the dole. Why won't people believe this or do they just love to keep the myth of the lazy, good for nothing welfare recipient going just to make them feel superior to someone?
Theft of services is the legal term for a crime which is committed when a person obtains valuable services — as opposed to goods — by deception, force, threat or other unlawful means

The theft of services occurs at step one where she lies and defrauds the government service agency in the first place, to get into the shelter. I'm surprised that you think it's ok for her to move here, lie and defraud and even involve the rest of her family in lying and defrauding to get what she wants. If you think that's ok, you have questionable morals.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Theft of services is the legal term for a crime which is committed when a person obtains valuable services — as opposed to goods — by deception, force, threat or other unlawful means

The theft of services occurs at step one where she lies and defrauds the government service agency in the first place, to get into the shelter. I'm surprised that you think it's ok for her to move here, lie and defraud and even involve the rest of her family in lying and defrauding to get what she wants. If you think that's ok, you have questionable morals.
I never said I agreed with her moving to this city to get into the shelter system.

I would never advise ANYONE to move here that didn't have some type of financial means. The same way I would never advise anyone to move to San Francisco if they were middle class or poor.

I feel she should STAY in North Carolina for her CHILDREN'S sake, because she has a decent job where she can support them and a roof over her head. I don't care that she's "unhappy". She'll be even more unhappy here. Once you have children certain decisions need to be factored in.

I don't have children, so I can go anywhere I want whenever I want. If I happen to fall victim to the shelter system, then that's okay. It's just ME not my kids. Even though NYC and SF's shelter systems are quite rare in how they operate, you are still at the MERCY of city officials.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I never said I agreed with her moving to this city to get into the shelter system.

I would never advise ANYONE to move here that didn't have some type of financial means. The same way I would never advise anyone to move to San Francisco if they were middle class or poor.

I feel she should STAY in North Carolina for her CHILDREN'S sake, because she has a decent job where she can support them and a roof over her head. I don't care that she's "unhappy". She'll be even more unhappy here. Once you have children certain decisions need to be factored in.

I don't have children, so I can go anywhere I want whenever I want. If I happen to fall victim to the shelter system, then that's okay. It's just ME not my kids. Even though NYC and SF's shelter systems are quite rare in how they operate, you are still at the MERCY of city officials.
We agree on something then.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
We agree on something then.
Yep. We are in this instance.

Everything about this city has changed. Some good, some not, but it's not worth the struggle and it's not fair to her kids. She has three children and is able to support them on her own. Depending on her income she could probably get help with SNAP and Medicaid for them in NC. There are also churches and food pantries too.

Children do NOT ask to come here and be a part of your dysfunction.

New Yorkers will never feel a place is "home", so they need to get over that mindset and just conform to wherever they currently are, especially if they have a JOB.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:06 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyleo89 View Post
It's unbelievable that people not only think scamming the system is okay but they see nothing wrong giving advice to random people how to do it too.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Hill View Post
HELLO ALL, I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF THREE CHILDREN AGES 12,8,5. I am a Brooklyn native but i have been in NC the past ten years. I've never been happy here. It's never felt like home but i stayed for a number of reasons that are no longer as relevant as before. I work in healthcare as a Nursing Assistant,and plan on staying with a friend for a bit but if that doesn't work out Im ok with going into a family shelter until i get on my feet. I haven't been home to really check out the new NY in a while but im hoping to receive some great advice on areas,schools,jobs,housing,camps and recreational activities such as boxing,karate,dance,basketball,football and art. And which area of NYC seems the most adequate for a single mom to live,mot survive but live. Please flood this post with answers i look forward to your responses.
You remind me of my dumb-ass ex-wife. I was in the South after I had gotten out of the Army. I was paying all the bills supporting her and her 2 kids. I had a baby with her. She gets bored of the South decides to come back up to NYC with my baby and her plan was to rely on social services as well. As a supposedly responsible mother you are supposed to provide for your children; ESPECIALLY to maintain that support when you currently have a means of doing so.

You. Are. Stupid.

To other readers, pardon my venomous rant, I try to be the articulate voice of reason but, occasionally, I hear or read something so self-absorbed, thoughtless and, idioticthat I'm morally required to respond with hostility. This is one of those times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City