Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 PM

8 posts, read 37,713 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, been lurking these forums for a bit and have searched for more specific information on this area but haven't found much.

The wife and I are planning a move to NYC, and I am going to check out a place right near the Hewes stop, just looking for more info on what this area is like. Busy subway during the day and night? Any cool areas to check out or streets to avoid? Good idea for young couple first time in NYC to live there? Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
North of the train is majority Puerto Rican, south of the train is majority Hasidic Jewish. Some issues with noise and litter, though nothing terrible. Pretty safe, though as always you want to be aware and use common sense walking around at night. Tons of trendy bars and restaurants within a short walk. A lot of the housing stock is pretty run-down, though, I'd say that's the biggest drawback...but you'll see your place for yourself.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
North of the train is majority Puerto Rican, south of the train is majority Hasidic Jewish. Some issues with noise and litter, though nothing terrible. Pretty safe, though as always you want to be aware and use common sense walking around at night. Tons of trendy bars and restaurants within a short walk. A lot of the housing stock is pretty run-down, though, I'd say that's the biggest drawback...but you'll see your place for yourself.
Hey thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I got a call from the owner that they rented it, as I was standing on the platform waiting to catch a train to the city to view the place. I feel like there are deals to be had in this area so gonna keep my eyes open and try to be quicker next time.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
It still has a pretty bad vibe to it if you're not use to it, im born and raised near the area and while it is slowly changing theirs been some some violence happening to newbies. If you are aware of hood mentality then no problem at all, if you're still a bit unaware of certain things, just be careful please.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
It still has a pretty bad vibe to it if you're not use to it, im born and raised near the area and while it is slowly changing theirs been some some violence happening to newbies. If you are aware of hood mentality then no problem at all, if you're still a bit unaware of certain things, just be careful please.
Thanks for the heads up definitely appreciate it. We are new to the city but not big cities in general, so we are used to having our wits about us in areas that don't have the greatest vibe. But definitely something I'll have to take into account while searching this area, I do want to be able to be comfortable if my wife ends up taking the subway home at 11pm by herself. Of course north of grand is where we probably want to be based on what I've heard but its just out of our budget at the moment.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Hang around the area Weds-Sat from 9pm-2/3am if possible and see for yourself.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BN24 View Post
Thanks for the heads up definitely appreciate it. We are new to the city but not big cities in general, so we are used to having our wits about us in areas that don't have the greatest vibe. But definitely something I'll have to take into account while searching this area, I do want to be able to be comfortable if my wife ends up taking the subway home at 11pm by herself. Of course north of grand is where we probably want to be based on what I've heard but its just out of our budget at the moment.
After 11pm I'd have my wife take a cab home, which is easy from that part of Williamsburg with the bridge being right there.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
The above commenters have a point. It's kind of an in-between area where someone who's very familiar with NYC might think it's rough around the edges but basically OK, and someone who's totally unfamiliar might think it's scary. I don't know what your background is so you'd have to look for yourself.

I also think it's one of the most overpriced parts of New York City--if not the most overpriced.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Its the hood, most real esate agents will try to sell it as Williamsburg and close to bedford where the action is etc. Im a real estate myself but i dont hide the fact that its the hood and not to listen to most agents.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM

273 posts, read 672,755 times
I agree mostly with what has been said. Yet I have been at Kosciuszko Street and found that area near the Bushwick/Bed Sty border has this nice cafe and not far from there some decent mom and pop shops. It is a fascinating area when I walked under the JM and Z area from about Flushing (I think) past Woodhull Medical Center (which has one of the best trauma units in the nation - in part due to its past history of high violent crime in those areas) where you see street vendors selling jewelry as well as some crap and further along a lot turned into a small urban chicken farm Brun by Bushwick City Farms (they have a larger farm lot not far from there - I suggest doanting or volunteering on their farms - they do outreach for the youth too)and then Skytown Cafe http://www.skytownbk.com/. After Skytown Cafe you have two choices - make your way down to th historic section of Bed -Sty (but I recommend doing it during the day or latest early eve as for a visitor it can be a little sketchy) or take the J to the M into Ridgewood to enjoy the historic collection of yellow brick buildings.

And yes, I could see much of the housing quality is not too good. At best you will find an older brick tenement with its facade in good shape or, much more, a run-of-the-mill aluminum-sided 2 - 4 family houses. Heading into Bed Sty you will find more buildings of architectural interest.

Why not look in Ridgewood or, if you don't mind a little of bland architecture (and trust me where I live in Astoria?LIC there are a few short stretches og aluminum sided houses that could pass for Bushwick) look for the areas north of Central Ave on the M. This is the area of Bushwick that is redeveloping fastest and from my understanding is a little safer then some of the areas to the south around the J and Z. Now if you do want to check other areas visit Skytown Cafe near the Kosciuzsko stop or check out Bushwick City Farms locations to see if that areas feels OK .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: