Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM

155 posts, read 258,880 times

Advertisements

Instead of giving up your belongings, you can do 2 things (if you're not used to situations like this).

1) When a robber comes up to you, they are usually going to try and sound intimidating. You can just man up on the spot and try to be intimidating back, or think you're a tough guy for the time being. Might get into an argument, or even a fight. If you don't want to fight.. then,
2) You can always run, haha. It may sound bad, but does it beat giving up your belongings? I guess that depends on the individual.

There were 2 scenarios I personally went through when it came to robberies. First time, it was dark and rainy. I remember the dude being quite big, and when he came up to me, I already knew what was about to happen. I ran at that time. It's embarrassing to say it, but it is what it is. Second time, I learned to hold my own. Well, it wasn't dark or rainy like the first time so that might have something to do with it..

Anyways my point is; don't stress on it. It might've been a very wise choice to give it up. At times, it is. There are ones who act accordingly with their ego, and that can get someone killed. If what you said is true (by thinking you could've possibly gotten killed), then you used your head at the moment, which was a smart decision. Some may laugh at you, but it's fine. People do get killed over phones, so you never know. BUT, if it continuously bothers you, take a stand next time. Whether it's a robbery or not, just hold your ground ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,241,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay202 View Post
For the first time last night after living in NYC my whole life, I was mugged. Wasn't hurt or anything and played it smart and gave the guy what he wanted which was just my iphone (that I didn't have out, but he made me give what I had after threats) but what threw me off since so many thoughts were rushing through my head was the usual dumb questions gang members ask when they feel you're not from the area (even though I am).

He asked "you from around here? why are you on our street. who you know from around here". I was vague when I answered his questions and just lied and said "I live right there" and pointed at a really big apartment building in view and left that alone and just stole my phone.

Common sense initially tells you to lie but in retrospect now that I think about it even though I was lucky it's sort of a lose-lose. Since I was going home I can't let him know that because he'll find out where I live. But this was before I knew what he even wanted, so even if I did lie and he asked for my wallet with ID, if I gave him a lie he'd know and if I didn't, he'd still know.

I have some street smarts, but like I said this case in retrospect I really wanna know what is the "Right" way to go about that type of mugging. Like even if you were to walk through ENY or Brownsville thugs don't like new faces so how do you play it off?
It's too bad you live in New York City.

In places like Virginia and Florida a large percentage of folks conceal-carry. And anyone who conceal-carries in Virginia has at least basic training. (One cannot get the permit without the training.)

Old 07-29-2013, 12:40 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
This happened right by the flatbush junction, last stop on the 2 train.

And thanks for the advice, and I actually did take martial arts for a few years when Iwas younger but my thought process is I'm not going to try to fight unless that is the last resort. But besides the keeping my phone inside my pocket and my earphones away (which I did), my question was more along the lines of how do you respond to the questions of like "where you from?" "who you know around here" because if you lie and you say "Oh I know that guy on (insert st.)" and he knows no one by that name you're screwed. Or even saying you're not from the area it can make you a target.
If someone who you deem suspicious asks you a question, ignore them and keep walking towards safety. It takes at least two people in order to have a conversation. "Interviews" are often a technique used by robbers to distract their victims

Criminal Interview

Quote:
And no offense, if this makes me a punk so be it, but I am not going to try to fight just to keep my belongings and possibly die over an iphone. Trust me, I was pissed, I worked hard for what I have too and the fact this low life who I doubt needed to rob to support his family taking what's mine pissed me off but choosing to be the hero and have my family and friends lose me because a phone I couldnt let go is crazy to me. I'll give whatever they ask for without struggle, only time I will ever go against their demands even if they have a weapon is if they try to get me to a secluded place (which almost happened) then that's different.

But today you just don't know. Long gone are the days of "When I was growin' up, this was all the protection you needed (raises fists)". Even if they don't show it immediately it's not hard to while you're fighting with fists quickly pull out a switch blade and stab you.
Good points. Property ain't worth getting killed over, however if you can resist and make it out safely, you should do so. The last thing a mugger wants to do is get into a shoving match with someone and risk attracting attention on themselves.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you pull out a gun that means you cant fight. At least that what it means where I'm from. I dont care. I take that stink ass A train every day to work and I'll be damned if somebody tries to take something from me. I dont play that man. Not being a tough guy or anything but it is what it is. I work for mine!
About half of all robberies involve a gun. It's quicker for the robber and resistance is virtually zero. When it's all said and done though, what good are your valuables if you're dead or paralyzed from the neck down?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
OP did the right thing.

Its easy for all you internet tough guys to say how you would have kicked the muggers ass or shot him.

We need more stop and frisk.
Muggings were normal when I was growing up in NYC, until Guiliani cleaned it up.
Where's Bernie Goetz when you need him?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
It's not that it's "Easy" for me to say what I said, it's the truth. I don't carry my gun because I like the extra weight. I also don't spend thousands every year practicing with it so I can earn a spot in the olympics.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 AM

208 posts, read 464,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
That night. He was out in 72 hrs.
No he went to jail for 4 years.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,559 times
Sorry that happened to you OP.

It sucks to lose your phone but you dont know if that guy had a gun. Like you said it's better to lose your phone than to lose your life.

This thread makes me wanna start carrying mace. I don't stay out too late but I dont live in the best area so you never know.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Oh...well thats good. Most of em a smack on the wrist. Clearly he had a past. And hey...there aint JACK sit wrong with running from an attacker. Who knows what he'll do. These people just dont care at all. Id swallow my pride in two seconds if running was an option.
I not looking to fight anybody.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Oh...well thats good. Most of em a smack on the wrist. Clearly he had a past. And hey...there aint JACK sit wrong with running from an attacker. Who knows what he'll do. These people just dont care at all. Id swallow my pride in two seconds if running was an option.
I not looking to fight anybody.
If you're quick on your feet then simply bolting would probably be the best response. Then if the subject pursues you it would be obvious that he intends you physical harm. And if he overtakes you any response on your part (including the use of mace or even deadly force) would be justified in my opinion (I am not a lawyer). Now if you're old fat and slow it's probably best to just hand over the goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City