Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
It's too bad you live in New York City.

In places like Virginia and Florida a large percentage of folks conceal-carry. And anyone who conceal-carries in Virginia has at least basic training. (One cannot get the permit without the training.)
I have a permit here. I pretty much never have a gun with me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Where did this happen? And what time of the day or night?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
I have a permit here. I pretty much never have a gun with me though.
Don't lie Snake, I saw you running around with your Mac-10 trying to esacpe from NY.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
When much younger, I had a watch ripped from my wrist when walking along a city street in the Phillipines. Instinctively I took off in pusuit and arrived just after the robber hopped into the getaway, motorbike taxi Motorbike taxi, Legaspi | Flickr - Photo Sharing! sidecar in which there was already two passengers along with the driver. So I hopped in too as the bike accelerated slowly (with the 4 passengers) to the unlit section of town ahead of us.

It got pretty noisey at that point with one of the robbers screaming "we gonna kill you" and the driver yelling "give it back", I wanted to bail, but by that point we were going to fast. My screams had evolved from "give me my watch" to, "Let Me Off!" Just when I thought things were going to get nasty for me, the driver stopped the motorbike, they thrust my watch back into my hand, I hopped off and off they went. I thought later that that would have been a good time to push the contraption over but I was just happy to be walking away from the situation.

I long ago forgot what ever became of the watch I risked my neck over.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Where did this happen? And what time of the day or night?
Don't know if you're familiar with flatbush but at the "junction" which is where flatbush ave. and nostrand ave. meet but basically a few blocks away. The area is known and even I before hand knew that muggings are common, (never really heard about any serious like murders/stabbings/shootouts (except one incident at the mcdonalds) but this happened at like 10 at night.

I've been out by therre later since the train station is right there but this case was basically a case of wrong place at the wrong time I guess.

But overall, I really don't know if I'd be here today if I let them take me off flatbush ave onto one of the nearby dark side streets. When they tried to lure me away I stood my ground and said take the phone and they let me go since they didn't want to try getting more attention. That's the one case I'll resist like I said, if there's one thing I know, letting them take you to the secluded spot is the end so might as well risk not letting it happen

Old 07-29-2013, 12:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
kind of what I thought. These incidents tend to happen in bad neighborhoods under the cover of dark.
Not saying this couldn't happen in a decent neighborhood, but for the most part, it happens in bad ones.

I went to Brooklyn college as an undergrad, and only 1 time a couple of hoods tried to pull some crap.
Unfortunally for them, all I had in my backpack were books, and since books are like kryptonite for hoods, they left me alone.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
The op came out unharmed from this situation and at the end of the day thats all that matters.Theres a good chance that the perp is going to recieve that gun blast in the face some other day.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
If someone who you deem suspicious asks you a question, ignore them and keep walking towards safety. It takes at least two people in order to have a conversation. "Interviews" are often a technique used by robbers to distract their victims

Criminal Interview

Good points. Property ain't worth getting killed over, however if you can resist and make it out safely, you should do so. The last thing a mugger wants to do is get into a shoving match with someone and risk attracting attention on themselves.
Thanks for posting that link.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM

575 posts, read 672,654 times
You can always get more stuff. You never know if the dude has backup or a box cutter. Better safe than sorry.

But like ROAM NYC says, "Use common sense in the street at night." But I would omit "at night" ans start the sentence with "Always".

My (don't call her paranoid please) daughter will get off the train and change cars if she feels uncomfortable. Once she said, "Dad this is our stop" when it clearly was not. I knew what she was doing, but not why, and followed her out and 2 or 3 cars away and back on. She said two guys were eyeing us. I thought "whatever" but if she felt better, how could a parent not be cool with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City