Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Some people are trapped in the 90's, lol. Just kidding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 AM

420 posts, read 697,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Born and raised in bushwick projects, this video is from 20yrs ago when growing up there with some old friends, still occasionally work with Nervous Records as I sold out and left the streets behind a long time ago.

Nervous Records still exists? Black Moon/Beatminers... classic isht +1.

Last edited by ROAM; 07-30-2013 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Hewes and S. 5th is definitely not majority Hasidic. There are hardly any Hasidim north of Broadway.

To me calling a place "the hood" implies real danger, so I don't know that I'd call it the hood. What's weird about that area is that it's priced like WILLIAMSBURG(tm) and it isn't that at all.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
It's still gritty looking, but I don't feel particularly unsafe there.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Hewes and S. 5th is definitely not majority Hasidic. There are hardly any Hasidim north of Broadway.
They probably just own the buildings.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Its the area they lived in "Coming to America."

Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM
xqt xqt started this thread

76 posts, read 129,172 times
After living there for 3 weeks...I am moving out.

Perhaps it is due to my being an affluent teenage white girl (which seems to be a much maligned demographic), but I found the neighborhood rather dirty and unsavory. There is much graffiti and garbage. Numerous times I encountered piles of bodily fluid and broken glass. There are also groups of men who like to sit around and yell lewd things at girls. There are no good grocery stores nearby. Yes, one is close to the J, M, and G trains on weekends, but none are particularly reliable or frequent. So, out I go.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqt View Post

Perhaps it is due to my being an affluent teenage white girl (which seems to be a much maligned demographic), but I found the neighborhood rather dirty and unsavory. There is much graffiti and garbage. Numerous times I encountered piles of bodily fluid and broken glass. There are also groups of men who like to sit around and yell lewd things at girls. There are no good grocery stores nearby. Yes, one is close to the J, M, and G trains on weekends, but none are particularly reliable or frequent. So, out I go.
Good idea, I don't blame you. Parts of Williamsburg would be good for you, but not that one. I imagine the more desirable sections are too expensive? There are other parts of the city that you might like a lot more.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:54 PM
xqt xqt started this thread

76 posts, read 129,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Good idea, I don't blame you. Parts of Williamsburg would be good for you, but not that one. I imagine the more desirable sections are too expensive? There are other parts of the city that you might like a lot more.
Yep. I am moving to the Upper West Side this weekend. I am moving to a tiny studio, but it is on a beautiful street which is both quiet and in close proximity to the subway & other amenities.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:25 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqt View Post

Williamsburg is definitely one of the dirtiest and ugliest neighborhoods in NYC but it's not really as bad as it looks,despite the recent big increase in violent crimes.The South Side is pretty gritty,no doubt about it but I wouldn't call it the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: