Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 03:22 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
White students are not the dominant academic force at the specialized high schools anymore. Asian students are, being the majority at Stuyvesant, Brooklyn Tech, and Bronx Science. (I don't know about the other smaller ones). I would ask why you think a highly selective school that is majortiy black/Latino should not be impressive, but I'm afraid of the answer I might get.
I actually think that the ranking and student body composition at Brooklyn Latin nicely defeated the stereotype that blacks and latinos have less potential in academics than asians. It would be intersting to find out if the black and latino stdents thrre have more of a recent immigration background. I have been speculating that fresh or recent immigrant chdren on average tend to do better than american kids with generational trees deeply rooted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 03:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I actually think that the ranking and student body composition at Brooklyn Latin nicely defeated the stereotype that blacks and latinos have less potential in academics than asians. It would be intersting to find out if the black and latino stdents thrre have more of a recent immigration background. I have been speculating that fresh or recent immigrant chdren on average tend to do better than american kids with generational trees deeply rooted here.
That would be interesting.As a teacher I have long noticed this.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
what kind of list is that? they don't even have hunter college high school in the top 50, or anywhere that i can see

and stuy at 8, well below bx sci?

EDIT - also, i assume that's a public school only list, since i don't see trinity, etc...

Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 PM

211 posts, read 519,497 times
I've never even heard of it. I would think that Bronx High School of Science or Stuyvesant would be the top ranked NYC high school.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 PM

5,123 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
what kind of list is that? they don't even have hunter college high school in the top 50, or anywhere that i can see

and stuy at 8, well below bx sci?

EDIT - also, i assume that's a public school only list, since i don't see trinity, etc...

Hunter is a little bizzare in terms of its school structure...its high school starts at 7th grade. It is definitely a strong school but is of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
I've never even heard of it. I would think that Bronx High School of Science or Stuyvesant would be the top ranked NYC high school.

If you look closely their ranking is based on "College Readiness" score, not sure how it was calculated or what it means, not according to test scores. But still, Brooklyn Latin's test scores do not look to shaky.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
That thinking is a little outdated.Bronx Science is 2nd but Stuyvesant is 8th.Stuyvesant has been generally declining in most rankings in the last 5 years or so.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I guess it jumped over Buffalo's City Honors, which has been #1 in NY many times.

Syracuse is looking to create a Latin school at the elementary level, then create a 6-12 Latin school later. So, it appears to be a type of school that works.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
Quote:
yes but you aren't putting together a list of top high schools

it sends the highest percentage of its students to ivy league (or similar) schools of any public high school in the nation (at least as of 6 years ago)

source: WSJ.com

it's just a strange oversight in such a list

Quote:
Hunter is a little bizzare in terms of its school structure...its high school starts at 7th grade. It is definitely a strong school but is of its own.
i wonder if USN was missing some stats since it's not administered through the board of ed

they do have High School for Math, Science and Engineering at City College in there, which also has a CUNY connection, is much newer and smaller. although that is also 9-12 and administered by NYC BOE

Old 08-12-2013, 06:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Next vision for the school.........a basketball team to upset Lincoln!!!!!!!!! (LOL!)
Jokes aside, I grew up in this zip code. There are 6 housing projects in this zip code; Tompkins, Marcy, Sumner, Bushwick, Williamsburg and Boriquen Houses. And one can add the middle class Lindsay Park complex to the mix!

It is good to see some diversity in a school that has some diversity around it. I just wish that school was available to me when I went, in the 1980s. (Eastern District, now Grand Street Campus, was my 'zone school' back then! It didn't have the best of reputations!).

And when I went to high school, the specialized high schools consisted of the Big 3 (Tech, Stuy and Science), plus LaGuardia and Hunter! Now, there are nine of them!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
I was not aware of this school until I saw its name on the high school ranking list:

Search New York High Schools | US News

It is #1 according to US news. Of course its position might change if ranking is based on some different criteria. Nevertheless I am completely surprised that I never heard this school. Is it a hidden gem in NYC? From greatschool website, the student body has an extremely high minority %, and 63% students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program. Does anyone know what makes this school stand out?

Brooklyn Latin School - Brooklyn, New York - NY - School overview

Asian 36%

Black 30%

Hispanic 21%

White 13%
I don't think it's a very good school. I also don't think it's a stand out.

What stands out is that it's a newer school and they are trying to copy Boston Latin, an old esteemed institution. It's also in Bushwick, not a good area of Brooklyn.

I have a cousin's son who attends there and they are always raving about it. I looked up the statistics and they were not that impressive.

I think they sent him there because he did not get into Stuyvesant, where my cousin went, or Bronx science.

It's better than most neighborhood schools, but if my kid had to go there. I'd move to the burbs,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City