Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 AM

5,146 posts, read 4,980,045 times

Advertisements

I was not aware of this school until I saw its name on the high school ranking list:

Search New York High Schools | US News

It is #1 according to US news. Of course its position might change if ranking is based on some different criteria. Nevertheless I am completely surprised that I never heard this school. Is it a hidden gem in NYC? From greatschool website, the student body has an extremely high minority %, and 63% students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program. Does anyone know what makes this school stand out?

Brooklyn Latin School - Brooklyn, New York - NY - School overview

Asian 36%

Black 30%

Hispanic 21%

White 13%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
What does being Republican have to do with anything? Wouldn't the Republicans rather teach a kid to fish?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I was not aware of this school until I saw its name on the high school ranking list:

It is #1 according to US news. Of course its position might change if ranking is based on some different criteria. Nevertheless I am completely surprised that I never heard this school. Is it a hidden gem in NYC? From greatschool website, the student body has an extremely high minority %, and 63% students are eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program. Does anyone know what makes this school stand out?

Asian 36%

Black 30%

Hispanic 21%

White 13%
Where does it say that this school is so successful? Those numbers above are just the student body population percentages.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
NYC education landscape is very fluid these days so it's hard to keep up. I would imagine this school is not very old.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,999 times
Next vision for the school.........a basketball team to upset Lincoln!!!!!!!!! (LOL!)

Old 08-12-2013, 11:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Where does it say that this school is so successful? Those numbers above are just the student body population percentages.
US news link has it ranked #1

Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM

24 posts, read 52,391 times
In order to derive any meaning to where a school is ranked you need to consider what factors enter the equation that results in the number that gets ordered. For highshools, according to the US news, the following are put into the equation:

"Step 1: The first step determined whether each school's students were performing better than statistically expected for the average student in the state. We started by looking at reading and math results for all students on each state's high school proficiency tests.

We then factored in the percentage of economically disadvantaged students (who tend to score lower) enrolled at the school to identify the schools that were performing better than statistical expectations.

• Step 2: For those schools that made it past this first step, the second step determined whether the school's least-advantaged students (black, Hispanic and low-income) were performing better than average for similar students in the state.

We compared each school's math and reading proficiency rates for disadvantaged students with the statewide results for these student groups and then selected schools that were performing better than this state average.

• Step 3: Schools that made it through the first two steps became eligible to be judged nationally on the final step – college-readiness performance – using Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate test data as the benchmarks for success, depending on which program was largest at the school.

AP is a College Board program that offers college-level courses at high schools across the country. The International Baccalaureate program also offers a college-level curriculum.

This third step measured which schools produced the best college-level achievement for the highest percentages of their students. This was done by computing a "college readiness index" (CRI) based on the school's AP or IB participation rate (the number of 12th-grade students in the 2010-2011 academic year who took at least one AP or IB test before or during their senior year, divided by the number of 12th-graders) and how well the students did on those tests.

The latter part, called the quality-adjusted AP or IB participation rate, is the number of 12th-grade students in the 2010-2011 academic year who took and passed (received an AP score of 3 or higher or an IB score of 4 or higher) at least one of the tests before or during their senior year, divided by the number of 12th-graders at that school. Any individual AP "

As you can see, this list does not rank which schools produce kids who do the best on academic indices. Rather, which schools help kids overcome various disadvantages. It includes attention to proportion of kids taking AP or IB classes and, to some extent, how well they do.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:

Asian 36%

Black 30%

Hispanic 21%

White 13%
It was started 7 or 8 years ago using The Boston Latin School as a model so it's not surprising that it would be successful.

Boston Latin School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen many articles about Brooklyn Latin since it's founding and it has been getting more and more respect with every year so it's not really surprising it has made it to the top of the pack.

Yours truly is a proud Boston Latin Alum

Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 PM

5,146 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It was started 7 or 8 years ago using The Boston Latin School as a model so it's not surprising that it would be successful.

Boston Latin School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen many articles about Brooklyn Latin since it's founding and it has been getting more and more respect with every year so it's not really surprising it has made it to the top of the pack.

Yours truly is a proud Boston Latin Alum
It ranks #21 nationally, and I do not even Boston Latin anywhere in the vicinity of its ranking

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News

Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
It ranks #21 nationally, and I do not even Boston Latin anywhere in the vicinity of its ranking

Best High Schools Rankings | Top High Schools | US News
Sorry,I only posted because you claimed you wanted to learn something about Brooklyn Latin and it's structure,not to get into which school might be better this year or next year or 5 years from now.Boston Latin has an almost 300 year history of extroardinary excellence and success that any school would be wise to emulate.It's history speaks for itself.

I guess I was mistaken about your reason for posting but you are welcome anyway.

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-12-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City