Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:04 AM

101 posts, read 173,829 times

Advertisements

After staying with a family member in NYC for three of the last four summers and visiting my company's office in the city, I have decided that I would like to move to NYC. I'm currently living in NEPA (and trust me, my departure day from the area CANNOT come soon enough!), but in the next six months to a year, I will be saving money by putting away a portion of my pay, selling unnecessary things and making my monthly budget.

I would like some extra guidance on what neighborhoods might be best to look in. I posted in the stickied moving thread, but haven't gotten any replies, so I'll give it a try here. So...here's me.

1) What is your budget?

Looking to spend no more than $1,200 a month. Will become an official employee of my company at the end of October (currently on a three-month trial) and will be making $37,000 a year (works out to close to $18 an hour). I would prefer living alone, but I understand this may not be realistic and would settle for having a roommate.

2) Where is your job located?
I mostly work from home, but may end up in my office 1-2 times a week depending on boss' expectations. (Thus, I won't need to look for a job when I move, which is a HUGE relief!) Office is in Union Square near 5th Ave. Commute-wise, I am OK with one subway transfer, but don't want to live so far out that my commute is over an hour long each way.

3) Living circumstances
Single; would not be bringing a pet with me. I love pets and would want one of my own eventually (more of a dog person than cat), but I won't be looking to get one immediately. Want to spend time to myself first.

4) Space requirements
Would only need one bedroom or studio if I can live alone; looking for a rental. If roommate situation, would like no more than 1-2. I'm five years out of college and am not looking for several roomies to repeat that situation.

5) Neighborhood amenities
-I like to workout, so being near a gym (even just a YMCA would be fine; I don't need to belong to some high-end gym...not really my style) would be good, or even just a good neighborhood for taking walks during the day/early evening.
-I eat pretty much anything, but my tastes in food are pretty simple. I like pizza places, Chinese, diners, basic stuff like that. I don't really care about going to "trendy" bars/restaurants, though I'm open to trying new things. Love Mexican, for example. I'm also not a big drinker...call it a night after 2-3 drinks tops, and I don't stay out late. I would be fine living in a neighborhood without a huge party scene, but I would like options outside of the mostly chain restaurants that occupy my hometown.
-Would like to be close to shopping/malls if possible. I've been to Queens Center before and loved it. Better than the boring mall at home haha.

6) Other interests/ General
-I'm a big sports fan (Yankees and Pittsburgh Penguins), so I would be spending time going to Yankee Stadium (mostly afternoon games, as I'm hesitant to be alone at night even when there is a game) and would like to go to MSG and Barclays (when the Islanders move there) to check out hockey. I would also like to feel as safe as possible. I'm willing to sacrifice some apartment amenities (e.g. walking to a laundromat rather than having a building with laundry), but safety is the one thing I just don't want to give up.
-I have a relative and a friend in Brooklyn and friends in Harlem (a decent part of Harlem, though I'm not sure what street) and Queens. Would like to be able to visit them when possible if they are up for the company. I also have a couple of high school and college friends in the city, though I have to find out what boroughs, as I've fallen out of touch with them but want to reconnect before my move.

Another note: I checked my credit score about a week ago, and it was at 633 at Experian and 645 at TransUnion. I'm working to improve it, but will this hurt me a lot?

Last edited by BlackGoldPride; 08-24-2013 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,259 times
Corona or Jackson Heights. YMCA is actually more expensive than a regular gym in NYC.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:38 AM

650 posts, read 2,518,539 times
Bensonhurst may work, or along the N or Q lines in south Brooklyn.
Credit score may be a bigger issue with the management companies, looking for a small bldg/landlord.
I think 1200 a month on that salary is just too high. I would get a studio for maybe 950-1000 tops

Old 08-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Jackson Heights sounds nice...I like what I've read about it.

Does anyone have info on Bensonhurst? I know it's in Brooklyn, but haven't heard much about it in terms of how far out it is, safety, etc. I've felt safe pretty much anywhere I've ventured in NYC, but I don't want to live somewhere where I am in constant worry of being mugged or something.

My relative who lives in the city has never used a broker and does not suggest I do so. However, one of my friends who has a studio in Queens said it's better to use one. I'm still thinking of doing it on my own and just going straight to the owner.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
My suggestions:

In Brooklyn:
Bay Ridge in Brooklyn -- there is a NYSC (gym) there and good restaurants. I don't think the commute to Union Square is too bad (maybe 45 min?) You would have to check on that.

In Queens:
Rego Park -- there's also a NYSC branch there, good restaurants, good transportation and very good shopping. It's close to the Queens Center Mall but also has Rego Center mall. It's not as good for walking around as Bay Ridge though (it's safe but not picturesque like Bay Ridge). I think the commute would be about the same to Union Square as Bay Ridge but again, check on this.

Jackson Heights is a good suggestion but you should keep an eye on whether the Blink Fitness opens on Roosevelt and 78th St. It should be opening in the winter. Otherwise you might not be happy with the gym situation.

I think you should really try as hard as possible to find a studio and live alone. Many existing roommate situations put restrictions on "working from home". If you read the roommate ads on craigslist you will see what I mean. Also if you are working from home, you might not like having roommates around either.

btw, if those neighborhoods prove to be too expensive for living alone, then check Elmhurst for a slightly cheaper alternative. The Queens Center Mall is located in Elmhurst and there are some gyms like Bally's. A few people on this board have recently moved to Elmhurst or have considered living there, so you could check older threads. I know that the listings for studios that I have seen in Jackson Heights and Rego Park have lately been hovering around the $1200 to $1400 mark but that's not to say there aren't cheaper ones.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
You should be able to find something in ridgewood/lower glendale for around $1200. You can take the L train to union sq in less than 30 mins door to door. There is a YMCA that looks pretty nice and it might have the highest concentration of pizza places in the city. Plus your on the brooklyn/queens border so can have access to what the best of both boros have to offer.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 PM

I have noticed the whole thing with people not wanting roomies who work from home. Between that and the restrictions on income/credit score for certain places, I probably have a harder task in front of me than some others. I'm sure it will end up OK in the end, as people in worse situations manage to find places, but even just considering neighborhoods has given me a reality check as to how hard this will be.

I've looked at Ridgewood too and that looks appealing. I have a coworker in Bay Ridge, so I can always ask her more about the neighborhood.

These are great suggestions!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
It would probably be just under an hour to get to Union Square from Bay Ridge. Normally, you could have just sat on the R for the entire ride (you can't right now because of the repairs) but at 59th you can switch to the N which makes the trip faster. Probably like forty minutes. Yankees Stadium will be a trip but Barclays is a short commute.

You can easily find a studio for under $1200. I still see studios for $900-$1000 and I would stay on the cheaper side. You could find a one bedroom here or there as well. Before I moved, I had a big one bedroom apartment for $1300 and that was a daytime doorman building. Plenty of gyms around, regardless of which part of the neighborhood you're in and endless bars/restaurants. There is shopping, especially around 86th, but no mall. (Century 21, Modell's, TJ Max, etc.) If you don't like noise, I'd stay off of the main avenues (3rd/5th---all the stores) and main streets (69th/86th).

Bensonhurst is not too far from Bay Ridge. Both areas are safe.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:22 PM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I second Rego Park in Queens as already suggested. You could get a large studio apt. for approx. $1000 a month.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I second Rego Park in Queens as already suggested. You could get a large studio apt. for approx. $1000 a month.
Are you sure about this price? The listings I see these days for studios in Rego Park are hardly ever under $1200. That's what I see online. Maybe there are local listings by local realtors that are less?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City