Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I wasn't referring just to this topic.Every time I see one of your posts on anything it seems filled with anger and negativity.You have to be careful with that because it can envelop your entire existence .
I'm actually a pretty happy, relaxed person. I'm not one to sugar coat things, if I see them a certain way, but that doesn't mean I'm down and out or angry.

On my posts here, I am critical of Bloomberg's bull**** NYC, for reasons I've gone over in my other posts, and I'm critical of the real estate pimps who would have you believe every NYC neighborhood is about to gentrify into paradise and that there are no working class, poor, or homeless people in NYC, its a wealthy shangri-la.

With that said, despite the fact I am so happy Bloomberg is gone, there are a few things he did that I like. The 311 system. NYC transit expansion under his watch (Flushing line extension, Second Avenue Subway, etc), the Cornell Tech School, and Fresh Direct moving to the South Bronx. Overall, though, I feel his policies benefitted a few wealthy people at the expense of the working class majority. It also tried to make poor people invisible in the city (though you have a lot of NYCHA and other people on programs in Manhattan itself). So I am CRITICAL of Bloomberg's policies and of his version of New York, not negative. And yes, he's left the city on a shaky foundation with lots of debt, as wall street cuts back jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 03:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm actually a pretty happy, relaxed person. I'm not one to sugar coat things, if I see them a certain way, but that doesn't mean I'm down and out or angry.

On my posts here, I am critical of Bloomberg's bull**** NYC, for reasons I've gone over in my other posts, and I'm critical of the real estate pimps who would have you believe every NYC neighborhood is about to gentrify into paradise and that there are no working class, poor, or homeless people in NYC, its a wealthy shangri-la.

With that said, despite the fact I am so happy Bloomberg is gone, there are a few things he did that I like. The 311 system. NYC transit expansion under his watch (Flushing line extension, Second Avenue Subway, etc), the Cornell Tech School, and Fresh Direct moving to the South Bronx. Overall, though, I feel his policies benefitted a few wealthy people at the expense of the working class majority. It also tried to make poor people invisible in the city (though you have a lot of NYCHA and other people on programs in Manhattan itself). So I am CRITICAL of Bloomberg's policies and of his version of New York, not negative. And yes, he's left the city on a shaky foundation with lots of debt, as wall street cuts back jobs.
This is all very true , unfortunately

Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Do I think gentrification will slow down under a new Mayor? I really don't know and its hard to predict the future. If the Mayor continues Bloomberg's direction than certainly gentrification will continue full steam probably reaching Broadway Juntion to the East, to 161st Bronx and Dyckman in the Heights, North Shore Staten Island due South. However if we have a mayor that worries about education, job development and training for those who finish local schools, affordability, reducing income inequality, helping to preserve the middle class, assisting the working class than gentrification can will certainly be hampered. I even know a woman who is a Transplant that says that if Quinn is not elected that she will move out of NYC she believes that NYC might go reverse.
This doesn't have to be the case at all.Both can happen at the same time.Boston,for instance,has experienced as much as or more gentrification and re development than NYC in the last 25 years,all the while having a single mayor who lives in an "outer borough" neighborhood and who is known and revered for taking care of the working class neighborhoods.He is called "the mayor of the neighborhoods"

The Boss of Boston: Mayor Thomas Menino

"He’s the mayor of neighborhoods. When he talks about his successes, he’s still likely to mention small-scale triumphs like a grocery store he brought to Roslindale or a new police station in Dudley Square. Early in his tenure, a local columnist derided him as nothing but an “urban mechanic,” a guy too focused on tinkering and retooling to provide the city with any real direction. "

"And right now, Boston is doing anything but staying status quo. Boston, in fact, is booming. While so many other cities are cutting back and scraping by, Boston is humming with an energy that may be unmatched anywhere else in the country right now. The city’s economy grew 4.8 percent in 2010, the fastest rate of growth in the nation. It’s one of only a handful of places in the country to have more private-sector jobs now than five years ago. It just surpassed Austin, Texas, as the city with the nation’s highest ratio of 20- to 34-year-olds. In September, The Atlantic ranked Boston the sixth most economically powerful city in the world, ahead of Hong Kong, Beijing, Sydney and others."

It might not be so bad if the next mayor of NYC were someone more like Menino than Bloomberg.I don't think the city would suffer at all.The Bloomberg way is not the only way to keep a city humming and there is no need to screw the middle class while it's happening.

He has a block party in the streets outside his house every year:http://www.boston.com/yourtown/bosto...ory.html?pg=11

Last edited by bluedog2; 08-19-2013 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 11:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This doesn't have to be the case at all.Both can happen at the same time.Boston,for instance,has experienced as much as or more gentrification and re development than NYC in the last 25 years,all the while having a single mayor who lives in an "outer borough" neighborhood and who is known and revered for taking care of the working class neighborhoods.He is called "the mayor of the neighborhoods"

The Boss of Boston: Mayor Thomas Menino

"He’s the mayor of neighborhoods. When he talks about his successes, he’s still likely to mention small-scale triumphs like a grocery store he brought to Roslindale or a new police station in Dudley Square. Early in his tenure, a local columnist derided him as nothing but an “urban mechanic,†a guy too focused on tinkering and retooling to provide the city with any real direction. "

"And right now, Boston is doing anything but staying status quo. Boston, in fact, is booming. While so many other cities are cutting back and scraping by, Boston is humming with an energy that may be unmatched anywhere else in the country right now. The city’s economy grew 4.8 percent in 2010, the fastest rate of growth in the nation. It’s one of only a handful of places in the country to have more private-sector jobs now than five years ago. It just surpassed Austin, Texas, as the city with the nation’s highest ratio of 20- to 34-year-olds. In September, The Atlantic ranked Boston the sixth most economically powerful city in the world, ahead of Hong Kong, Beijing, Sydney and others."

It might not be so bad if the next mayor of NYC were someone more like Menino than Bloomberg.I don't think the city would suffer at all.The Bloomberg way is not the only way to keep a city humming and there is no need to screw the middle class while it's happening.

He has a block party in the streets outside his house every year:Mayor Menino hosts 20th block party in Hyde Park - Hyde Park - Boston.com
Wow very nice read. That is what I call a mayor, someone that gets involved with the community and not out of touch with its very residents. As for Boston having a high rate of single twenty and thirty year olds, look at it, its a college town with near by schools like Boston College, Mt Ida and Harvard. As well as Boston does good with those Big Pharama jobs. Cities need a middle class, but Bloomberg thinks otherwise! As for Boston and gentrification? At my local bodega there is a hood white guy that hangs outside with the black guys, he is from Boston and he was talking about Southie which at one time was a poor working class white hood. I was once told it was worse than the South Bronx, but could be an exaggeration. But this guy was talking about how his familys hood has changed and now he sees the same **** happening in here in the South Bronx, but really to a lesser capacity.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times
if Christine Quinn wins office, it'll be almost as if Bloomberg never left

Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
i highly doubt it. the next mayor will be
a puppet to the same "agenda" anyway.
nothing will change for most of us except
things getting more expensive and rent
getting much higher.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i highly doubt it. the next mayor will be
a puppet to the same "agenda" anyway.
nothing will change for most of us except
things getting more expensive and rent
getting much higher.
Not even. The next mayor will not have the same base as Bloomberg, or the same business ties. For that matter, with all the recent reports of ASSAULTS in the city, particularly as the city is about to go into a financial crisis, rents will go DOWN as you won't have enough working people to pay high rents. Should the feds cut out funding for welfare programs, big parts of the city would immediately experience housing crisis.

But the rapid increase of rents and the big development that happened under Bloomberg happened because he is a billionaire who formerly worked on Wall Street, and through his company, Bloomberg, had extensive media ties. Frankly, none of the current candidates could repeat what he did. The other reason this happened is because in response to the Sept. 11th stock market crash and the 2008 fiscal crisis, the fed lowered interest rates to nearly zero and basically printed lots of money. The fed is soon going to raise interest rates to fight off inflation and to tighten its fiscal policy. That will have nearly an immediate effect on real estate in the city.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Gentrification will march on regardless of who the next mayor is because of situations outside of mayoral control.

For one, the national economy, already slowly improving, will get better and that will mean a better business situation. So will the Fed's easy money policies, which are really the only economic stimulus around now. Young people wil continue moving to cities and increasingly, staying in them once they have kids. (You think NYC's schools are rotten, try looking at Chicago or Philadelphia or DC or LA, where they're really bad and the middle class has all but abandoned them). Moreover, wealthy foreigners looking for a safe haven for their money will continue buying real estate here, while many immigrant groups, who are generally poorer, will start coming in lower numbers either becuase of immigration reform or improving economies in their home countries (notably Mexico.)

The mayor controls none of this, absolutely none of it. And all these things will boost the demand for housing and the spreading gentrification of outer-borough neighborhods and upper Manhattan. It will be interesting to see how and if the next mayor can improve the lot of working class and poor New Yorkers, but I fear it will become very tough to do in light of the larger forces at work.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM

268 posts, read 340,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do think it will be reversed and remember most whites and most asians aren't millionaires. Reversed not necessarily just because of who the mayor is. Reversed because as the next wave of contracts renewals for the municipal unions come in, that's likely to bankrupt the city and all city services are likely to get cut, including the police. That, on top of what happened to stop and frisk, and the fact that Wall St is laying off lots of people (the city's tax base will go down) will lead to a fiscal disaster.

Don't get me wrong, Stop and Frisk as the NYPD did it was unconstitutional. You can only stop and frisk someone if there is reasonable suspicion a crime has been, was, or will be committed. You cannot stop and frisk random people on the street just because. With that said, stop and frisk was a great big free advertisement for ghetto neighborhoods no one else ever would live in.
That's the part that's completely debatable. What is suspicious is up to the cop's discretion.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Gentrification doesn't happen with high crime rate.

People forget pre-Guiliani days how it was a wild west out in some of these up and coming gentrifying areas. I didn't see any white hipsters trying to live in Bushwick, Crownheights, Redhook, etc. back in the Dinkins era. Guiliani policies , which Bloomberg adopted and continued made this city safe for you idiot liberals hipsters to move in and gentrify.

I guess a democrat mayor will be good. They will go soft on crime, more white hipsters get victimized=less gentrification. The ghetto gets to stay ghetto. keepin' it real yo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City