Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times

Advertisements

With the new mayoral hopefuls having a strong agenda in increasin NYC middle class do you think Gentrification will slow down.

I mean Nanny Bloomberg made a good dent in making NYC a "techie" city where they can work in Midtown and live in Williamsburg and drink starbucks and gluten free water.

Do you guys think with the new mayor will kind of even out and maybe reverse the damage done to the city ??

NYC history, culture and flavor come from the very immigrants that are getting priced out !

Imagine nyc filled with white and asian millionares ???? Omg. Booooororrrinnnnnggg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
With the new mayoral hopefuls having a strong agenda in increasin NYC middle class do you think Gentrification will slow down.

I mean Nanny Bloomberg made a good dent in making NYC a "techie" city where they can work in Midtown and live in Williamsburg and drink starbucks and gluten free water.

Do you guys think with the new mayor will kind of even out and maybe reverse the damage done to the city ??

NYC history, culture and flavor come from the very immigrants that are getting priced out !

Imagine nyc filled with white and asian millionares ???? Omg. Booooororrrinnnnnggg
I do think it will be reversed and remember most whites and most asians aren't millionaires. Reversed not necessarily just because of who the mayor is. Reversed because as the next wave of contracts renewals for the municipal unions come in, that's likely to bankrupt the city and all city services are likely to get cut, including the police. That, on top of what happened to stop and frisk, and the fact that Wall St is laying off lots of people (the city's tax base will go down) will lead to a fiscal disaster.

Don't get me wrong, Stop and Frisk as the NYPD did it was unconstitutional. You can only stop and frisk someone if there is reasonable suspicion a crime has been, was, or will be committed. You cannot stop and frisk random people on the street just because. With that said, stop and frisk was a great big free advertisement for ghetto neighborhoods no one else ever would live in.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do think it will be reversed and remember most whites and most asians aren't millionaires. Reversed not necessarily just because of who the mayor is. Reversed because as the next wave of contracts renewals for the municipal unions come in, that's likely to bankrupt the city and all city services are likely to get cut, including the police. That, on top of what happened to stop and frisk, and the fact that Wall St is laying off lots of people (the city's tax base will go down) will lead to a fiscal disaster.

Don't get me wrong, Stop and Frisk as the NYPD did it was unconstitutional. You can only stop and frisk someone if there is reasonable suspicion a crime has been, was, or will be committed. You cannot stop and frisk random people on the street just because. With that said, stop and frisk was a great big free advertisement for ghetto neighborhoods no one else ever would live in.
Do you ever wonder whether the totally negative bubble you seem to live in has had an effect on your life prospects?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post

Be careful what you wish for. The only thing that can reverse gentrification is a significant decrease in the quality of life.

Would any mayor discourage start-up tech companies in the city because they might lead to increased rents in Bed-Stuy? Of course not—and I suspect you wouldn’t want the consequences of such a policy were it to happen.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
It's hard to predict the future but it does seem like NY has been lucky with its years of social engineering under Giuliani/Bloomberg. It wouldn't take much for NY to fall back to its old bad habits.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Under Bloomberg NYC has become proactive in development and turning NYC into a beacon of shining light attracting people from across the country and the world to live, some with money and some who don't. Lets not forget that NYC was gentrifying before Bloomberg, gentrification is a very slow process but under Bloomberg gentrification in NYC picked up full steam ahead like the Titanic ramming itself into an iceberg sinking itself, might happen to NYC someday if it keeps going in this direction. Bloomberg even went to the commencement at Stanford University telling graduates to move to NYC after graduation. The city under Bloomberg worked hand in hand with developers by making condos and yes some affordable housing that many cant even afford. With Bloomberg administration ending within the next 120 days, I'm sure many are worried about their wealth they have accumulated over the years and a new mayor might be pro people friendly instead of business and friendly mayor. I think under NYC Bloomberg much of the development was catered to a select few people like the wealthy and Transient folks who came out of college or those who sky dived out of the Midwest.

Do I think gentrification will slow down under a new Mayor? I really don't know and its hard to predict the future. If the Mayor continues Bloomberg's direction than certainly gentrification will continue full steam probably reaching Broadway Juntion to the East, to 161st Bronx and Dyckman in the Heights, North Shore Staten Island due South. However if we have a mayor that worries about education, job development and training for those who finish local schools, affordability, reducing income inequality, helping to preserve the middle class, assisting the working class than gentrification can will certainly be hampered. I even know a woman who is a Transplant that says that if Quinn is not elected that she will move out of NYC she believes that NYC might go reverse.

In my honest opinion, NYC has become bland over the years, but on the flipside through out America suburbs have become diverse and flavorable which is a positive. NYC has become a great place for wealthy, Out of Towners whether tourist or not but also Women/feminist. I have more fun outside of NYC than I do inside of it. Its not only NYC that is like this, but other cities as well like Boston, DC, Chicago, Philly, San Francisco that have made similar strides like NYC. Also if the U.S economy improves gentrification as a whole nationally will also decline! Gentrification picked up during the economic downturn.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Do you ever wonder whether the totally negative bubble you seem to live in has had an effect on your life prospects?
I'm not negative. I'm a REALIST.

The same people who want to go into denial about the possibility of a fiscal crisis in NY are the same ones who accused everyone of negativity when people spoke of an oncoming stock market collapse in 2000. And yet it happened big time in 2001. In 2006, there was talk of a real estate crash. And others went into denial, saying it couldn't happen. And boy, did it have major national effects on the economy.

Going into denial about problems does not make them go away.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Under Bloomberg NYC has become proactive in development and turning NYC into a beacon of shining light attracting people from across the country and the world to live, some with money and some who don't. Lets not forget that NYC was gentrifying before Bloomberg, gentrification is a very slow process but under Bloomberg gentrification in NYC picked up full steam ahead like the Titanic ramming itself into an iceberg sinking itself, might happen to NYC someday if it keeps going in this direction. Bloomberg even went to the commencement at Stanford University telling graduates to move to NYC after graduation. The city under Bloomberg worked hand in hand with developers by making condos and yes some affordable housing that many cant even afford. With Bloomberg administration ending within the next 120 days, I'm sure many are worried about their wealth they have accumulated over the years and a new mayor might be pro people friendly instead of business and friendly mayor. I think under NYC Bloomberg much of the development was catered to a select few people like the wealthy and Transient folks who came out of college or those who sky dived out of the Midwest.

Do I think gentrification will slow down under a new Mayor? I really don't know and its hard to predict the future. If the Mayor continues Bloomberg's direction than certainly gentrification will continue full steam probably reaching Broadway Juntion to the East, to 161st Bronx and Dyckman in the Heights, North Shore Staten Island due South. However if we have a mayor that worries about education, job development and training for those who finish local schools, affordability, reducing income inequality, helping to preserve the middle class, assisting the working class than gentrification can will certainly be hampered. I even know a woman who is a Transplant that says that if Quinn is not elected that she will move out of NYC she believes that NYC might go reverse.

In my honest opinion, NYC has become bland over the years, but on the flipside through out America suburbs have become diverse and flavorable which is a positive. NYC has become a great place for wealthy, Out of Towners whether tourist or not but also Women/feminist. I have more fun outside of NYC than I do inside of it. Its not only NYC that is like this, but other cities as well like Boston, DC, Chicago, Philly, San Francisco that have made similar strides like NYC. Also if the U.S economy improves gentrification as a whole nationally will also decline! Gentrification picked up during the economic downturn.
I agree with everything you said. The part about the transplant leaving if Quinn isn't elected, clearly, demonstrates that at least some of the transplants have a good feel in which candidate would be more likely to continue the agenda for them and which won't. I don't think there is any definite answer until we reach that destination with whatever mayor is elected, however I wouldn't be surprised to see gentrification slowing down a bit if anyone but Quinn is elected.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

Repped. Unfortunately for your lady friend, the majority of NYC residents are not transplants and don't earn money in the NYC real estate industry. Last election 85% of eligible New Yorkers did not vote. Of the 15% that did vote, only 51% voted for Bloomberg. Which shows you want people really think of the mayor's policy's. After he overturned term limits, the city as a whole didn't bother to participate in that election.

The ending of the NYPD's version of Stop and Frisk (the only reason why neighborhoods like Bedstuy gentrified) is another factor, with a lot of newspapers imply things might go reverse. So already the real estate marketing effort it taking a hit.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm not negative. I'm a REALIST.

The same people who want to go into denial about the possibility of a fiscal crisis in NY are the same ones who accused everyone of negativity when people spoke of an oncoming stock market collapse in 2000. And yet it happened big time in 2001. In 2006, there was talk of a real estate crash. And others went into denial, saying it couldn't happen. And boy, did it have major national effects on the economy.

Going into denial about problems does not make them go away.
I wasn't referring just to this topic.Every time I see one of your posts on anything it seems filled with anger and negativity.You have to be careful with that because it can envelop your entire existence .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City