Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,074 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been planning a trip to NYC this November for my 21st birthday. I've made plans to travel alone. I'm a female, and my parents are extremely concerned about me going and staying alone there. I plan on staying at The Bowery House (I've fallen in love with it!), and I really want to stay in the dorm styled rooms. However, my father thinks it's a terrible idea for a young woman from Texas to stay in a hostel in NYC. My mom is opposed to the idea as well, but I've managed to convince her I'll be fine. I am the youngest of two girls, and I'm definitely more of a risk taker than my sister.

Long story short, I've done a ton of research, but my parents don't trust my judgement. Am I making a silly mistake? Is New York dangerous to be alone in? I know not to take drinks from anyone, be out at night, or do stupid things. My dad is even worried about taxis taking advantage of me and trying to charge me ridiculous amounts. Can anyone share some of their experiences in New York? I really want to go alone, but I'm afraid my parents won't help me out--even if it is for my birthday.

P.S. I'm definitely not going on my birthday! The week after!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 11:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Hostel is a sensible choice, you'll save money. I've never had issues with hostels, don't see why NYC ones would be any different. Skimmed a few reviews, nothing seems off with the hostel.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
You don't have any friends you could bring along? If you can, it will make your trip much more enjoyable.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:25 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
I gather these are separate locked cubicles open at the top, so better and safer than a hostel. People complain about the tiny beds but somebody mentioned $50/night which is incredible.

Do a THOROUGH check for bedbugs, and I gather you might need the provided earplugs for sleeping. Bring bedbugs home and your parents will disown you.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 AM

155 posts, read 259,190 times
I turn 21 later in the year as well.. No worries, I can guide you

On a serious note, NYC is really not that dangerous. You can do fine here all alone without much worry. Though I've seen some individuals get overwhelmed by the city, but it's really not a big deal. You can be out at night, but since you're going alone.. I don't see what you would do. Maybe go to a bar alone, I guess? Well that's up to you as it's not always a "dangerous" experience. Yellow cabs, which are the taxi norms here are paid for their service by distance. You can also see the price in front of you (in most cases), so there's no way they can charge you a ridiculous amount.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,583,220 times
Are you coming to NY to celebrate your birthday all by yourself? Or are you coming with friends? What's your goal here - partying? culture? tourist stuff?

It's not a dangerous place, especially if you stick to the mainstream areas. Just don't overdue at a bar or club and put yourself in a compromising position.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM

900 posts, read 2,373,470 times
Just don't act like the awe-struck puppy eyed young tourist. Don't be stupid and don't let everyone know you're here alone, don't tell all your business.

I remember a young girl years back that was going to go into the Army but she decided she wanted to take a trip to NY before being told where and when to go in the world.

She went alone with very little money, not even $200.00 and no place to stay. She had only enough for a one night stay at the Y. Her plan was, if she had to, sleep in the emergency rooms of hospitals until the am hours then tour the city.

Well she ended up meeting her boyfriend at the Y and stayed with him until she left. She didn't end up going into Army but instead moved to NY a year later.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,476 times
If you are coming here alone don't go to the bar by yourself and get trashed. It's a sad truth that young, unaccompanied and intoxicated women very often get victimized in the city no matter what neighborhood you are in. Bar patrons and bartenders will probably want to buy you drinks to help you celebrate. If you want to go out and party I would very strongly advise you to bring a friend along.

If you are not a drinker than you should be fine if you use common sense.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM

756 posts, read 2,280,100 times
The Bowery House looks totally fine.

However, I do second those who said you might have more fun if you come with another friend or two. The city is great on your own, but for your first time, company would be nice, especially when it comes to eating out, navigating the subways, etc. I also second the recommendation to NOT drink a lot by yourself. That goes for saying in any city, but especially NY.

(I'm originally from Texas, by the way. Enjoy yourself up here!)

Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 PM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire41026 View Post
Hello!

I've been planning a trip to NYC this November for my 21st birthday. I've made plans to travel alone. I'm a female, and my parents are extremely concerned about me going and staying alone there. I plan on staying at The Bowery House (I've fallen in love with it!), and I really want to stay in the dorm styled rooms. However, my father thinks it's a terrible idea for a young woman from Texas to stay in a hostel in NYC. My mom is opposed to the idea as well, but I've managed to convince her I'll be fine. I am the youngest of two girls, and I'm definitely more of a risk taker than my sister.

Long story short, I've done a ton of research, but my parents don't trust my judgement. Am I making a silly mistake? Is New York dangerous to be alone in? I know not to take drinks from anyone, be out at night, or do stupid things. My dad is even worried about taxis taking advantage of me and trying to charge me ridiculous amounts. Can anyone share some of their experiences in New York? I really want to go alone, but I'm afraid my parents won't help me out--even if it is for my birthday.

P.S. I'm definitely not going on my birthday! The week after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK04 View Post
I turn 21 later in the year as well.. No worries, I can guide you

On a serious note, NYC is really not that dangerous. You can do fine here all alone without much worry. Though I've seen some individuals get overwhelmed by the city, but it's really not a big deal. You can be out at night, but since you're going alone.. I don't see what you would do. Maybe go to a bar alone, I guess? Well that's up to you as it's not always a "dangerous" experience. Yellow cabs, which are the taxi norms here are paid for their service by distance. You can also see the price in front of you (in most cases), so there's no way they can charge you a ridiculous amount.
As mentioned the yellow taxi cabs use meters. So there is really no way that you can be overcharged except if they take a long route than they should (which usually doesn't happen in Manhattan). Be aware you need to tip taxi drivers even for short distances. But during the day I would suggest using the subway system as the subway is a faster way to get around the city in general. At night I would stick to taxis if you don't know the area and you are by yourself.

There are many young women here doing their own thing alone. So you will not stand out and it isn't particularly dangerous, but always be aware your surroundings as in any big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City