Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

Advertisements

I agree with Bronxguyanese & riaelise. I would like to try a smaller mid-sized city in the future. NYC is awesome, but on my income I cannot live the way that I want to. I personally can say that I won't ever go back to small town or suburban living. Currently looking into Indianapolis, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
i dont care what people do with their lives, thats their own choice
im jus interested to know why
it doesn't make sense to not care but want to know why at the same time.
i don't get that. 27 pages of comments to not even care in the first place?

lol

Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
i hear wat u sayin, but id prolly still live somewhere else like chicago if i was that kinda person
I'd like to visit Chicago, but not sure about living there. Wifey has a problem with being landlocked. I tell her about that really big lake, but apparently its not the same. Another nice thing about NYC is its proximity to many other different states for recreational purposes. I like the New England network of quaint little villages and being able to ski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You can have the latter and still have cultural/ethnic diversity. My neighborhood is probably 60% White, and 40% other races/cultures.
Within just a few mile radius from my home I have access to, I don't even know how many different types of ethnic restaurants and markets. Never seen another place with as many options. If you know of one, please let me know. I'd be interested in exploring.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd like to visit Chicago, but not sure about living there. Wifey has a problem with being landlocked. I tell her about that really big lake, but apparently its not the same. Another nice thing about NYC is its proximity to many other different states for recreational purposes. I like the New England network of quaint little villages and being able to ski.

Within just a few mile radius from my home I have access to, I don't even know how many different types of ethnic restaurants and markets. Never seen another place with as many options. If you know of one, please let me know. I'd be interested in exploring.
I have about the same, as well as local farmer's markets. There's also at least two Asian strip malls. I live in the Austin, TX area. The thing is, more and more people move here and bring their cuisine with them. If it's good, people will patronize it.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I agree and I had to rep you, smaller cities can be just as festive as NYC, but so many people are caught in a bubble and say NYC is great for this and for that, and NYC is best for this and best for that. If people are happy and content with what they got in NYC that is good for them and for those that are not content with where they are from and want to move to NYC to make something out for themselves, so be it, Transplants can have NYC. For those that are not happy in NYC and want to move somewhere else that is worthwhile, can give them some breathing room, more space, cleaner environment, less people, and a place to be themselves or raise a family, so be it. People should just be happy. If someone is happy to pay 3k dollars for a shoebox studio in Manhattan good for them, while some is happy to pay 3k for a Mcmansion in Atlanta, good for them too. Some of the best fun that I have in my life is usually outside of NYC.
Yep. I'm a big believer in live and let live.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM

414 posts, read 537,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it doesn't make sense to not care but want to know why at the same time.
i don't get that. 27 pages of comments to not even care in the first place?

lol
i dont kno these people, why would i care wat they do with their life?
it makes sense because thats how we learn, by studying human behavior and wat each's view is

Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post

nyc location is definitely superior, i enjoy the ocean beaches here, but theres always some tradeoff, chi has 90% of wat nyc has, but is much more affordable and manageable, there are also smaller dense cities, like sf, dc, boston, which are expensive, but offer less hectic living

Old 09-10-2013, 01:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Stuck

Quote:
By average I mean everyone except rich. I might be missing someth, but unless one makes 120k+ a yr, which is actually middle class here, even in the outer boroughs and suburbs, what's the point of living here? Most people don't make that much so why are they still here? Quality of life is an arguable concept, but standard of living is not, and it is quite low around here. I can understand if you prefer NYC to other cities because of unique things it offers, BUT when you don't have much money, you can't use those amenities anyway so what's the point? I don't really understand all the people who are not stuck here due to families or what not choosing to live in such subpar living conditions. Is it because they haven't traveled around this country to see how much easier life can be or scared to leave or what? This includes NYC suburbs too, which don't really offer a way out cuz they are also overpriced and overcrowded. Bad quality of housing and small amount of new housing makes it even worse.
With the cost of living so expensive, it's easy to get "stuck" here because it takes money to relocate even if you're moving to start a new job. I have asked myself the question you're asking many times over the past few years. Trying to leave but still "stuck" for the moment. You said $120K annually but I assumed most people in NYC (who are not on public assistance) make at least $70k a year. IMO, that is the minimum salary for a single person to make and still be ok. If they're part of a family with more than one income earner the better for them. Anything lower than $70k is a nickel and dime lifestyle. But you're right, with all the amenities (cultural events, Broadway, concerts, pro-sports, distinguished speakers or authors, fashion-week, etc) you can't afford them if you pay market value mortgage/rent, renter's insurance, utilities, transportation costs, or car insurance, tolls, gas, and other bills. Yes, living in NYC and not being rich equals a subpar lifestyle compared to the rest of the country. The lifestyle for the middle and working class in NYC is better ONLY compared to third-world places.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
With the cost of living so expensive, it's easy to get "stuck" here because it takes money to relocate even if you're moving to start a new job. I have asked myself the question you're asking many times over the past few years. Trying to leave but still "stuck" for the moment. You said $120K annually but I assumed most people in NYC (who are not on public assistance) make at least $70k a year. IMO, that is the minimum salary for a single person to make and still be ok. If they're part of a family with more than one income earner the better for them. Anything lower than $70k is a nickel and dime lifestyle. But you're right, with all the amenities (cultural events, Broadway, concerts, pro-sports, distinguished speakers or authors, fashion-week, etc) you can't afford them if you pay market value mortgage/rent, renter's insurance, utilities, transportation costs, or car insurance, tolls, gas, and other bills. Yes, living in NYC and not being rich equals a subpar lifestyle compared to the rest of the country. The lifestyle for the middle and working class in NYC is better ONLY compared to third-world places.
and thats what it all comes down to
agreed 100%

Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes, living in NYC and not being rich equals a subpar lifestyle compared to the rest of the country. The lifestyle for the middle and working class in NYC is better ONLY compared to third-world places.
This first sentence is definitely true, but the second is complete nonsense.

Again, I don't know how so many can ignore stories like mine (or Seventh's), and there's plenty of people who live just like us in NYC. I own my own home, have two cars (one brand new), my wife, two kids, a dog, plenty of expensive toys and at least one vacation per year, and we're doing it all on my just slightly over 6 figure salary with no debt and no assistance from family or government.

Having spent 4 different tours overseas in REAL 3rd world countries, I find it absolutely hilarious that you would compare ANY American's lifestyle to that. Even bums in the subway tunnels have it better than what I saw the 3rd world to really be. I certainly don't consider myself only better when compared to the third world. My brand new Jeep, discretionary funds for "toys", and multiple retirement savings accounts are miles above the average 3rd world resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City